Playing With Fire

Smolder

Jake grabbed my arm, pulling me to the staircase, where we peered over the banister. Two women looked up at us- the younger with light brown hair, the older with dark brown dreadlocks.

"Hey Mom, Stella," Jake said. "This is Sayuri Edwards. Sayuri, Mom, Stella." Jake's mom beamed, rushing up the stairs.

"Oh, come here! I'm so excited to meet you!" She pulled me into an excited embrace. "I'm so happy Jake has a friend who isn't one of the band mates' kids! I'm Adrienne, but you can call me Adie." She grinned an infectious grin that I couldn't help but return.

By now, Stella had ascended the stairs and was smiling apprehensively.

"Hi," she said shyly. I smiled at her, and her face brightened.

"Are you staying for the barbecue?" Adie asked suddenly, catching me off guard.

"Um..." I stammered, unsure of how to answer.

"You don't have to," Jake said, refusing to meet my gaze.

"I'd love to," I said to Adie, and her grin widened. I don't know why I agreed to this; I'd had a bad history with barbecues... I didn't know if I'd make it through tonight without revealing my secret.

Jake interrupted my thoughts once again by placing his hand on the small of my back as his mother descended the stairs, still beaming. Stella stepped up to us, leaning on the banister.

"Is Joey coming today?" she asked. Jake shrugged, his body stiffening.

"He's supposed to, but you know him... He's irresponsible-"

"Don't say that!" Stella said, glaring. "Just because he-"

"Shut up! I don't want to talk about-"

"You never do. How are you going to fix things with your brother if-"

"Well maybe I don't want to fix things-" I shifted uncomfortably as the pair screamed at each other over a subject I was unaware of. Now that I saw Adie, I remembered Joey, mostly for his shocking coolness. He was very attractive, and surprisingly nice to me.

My head began to pound as Jake and Stella yelled. I walked back to Jake's room, closing the door behind me to block out the sound. I flopped on his bed, lying face down and breathing in his scent. After a few minutes, the argument died down, and steps descended the stairs. I closed my eyes, attempting to resist the urge to bring out my lighter. Not here. Not now.

I rolled over, sitting up as the door opened to reveal Jake smiling apologetically. I smiled back, and he shut the door behind him.

"Sorry," he murmured as he made his way towards me.

"It's okay," I whispered as he knelt in front of me, an intense look in his gorgeous eyes. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and I ran my scarred fingers through his brown hair. His hands crawled up my back, and I shivered at the unexpected contact. He leaned in, leaving a trail of kisses up my neck.

"Why do you do that when someone talks about your brother?" I asked as his lips brushed my jawline. He sighed, and I instantly regretted asking.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have. I know you do'nt like talking about it-" he cut me off by briefly covering my mouth with his.

"It's okay," Suddenly a devious smile crossed his face, and I looked at him cautiously. This could bring no enjoyable things.

"Come on," he said, pulling me to my feet, running and pratcially dragging me down the stairs. When we reached the back door, he swung me over his shoulder, making me shriek. I heard brief chuckles sound as he carried me to the edge of the pool. He held me high above him, dangling me over the water. I pleaded with him, both of us laughing.

"Jake, no... Please no? At least let me take off my shoes?" He smiled at me.

"Okay, fine." He set me down, and I made a break for it. Unfortunately, a mixture of his agility and my own clumsiness brought me crashing down as he tackled me. I shrieked again as he lifted me once more, taking me back to the pool. I only had a moment to plead before he pulled me to his chest, jumping in with me.

We emerged seconds later, and I immediately dunked him. He ruined my plan by dragging me under as well. This time, when we emerged, Adie stood above us, hands on hips.

"Jakob, she doesn't have extra clothes! Why would you do something like that?" She scolded him, but I saw the kindness and suppressed laughter in her eyes. Finally, she couldn't hold it in any longer, and she walked away to join a group of women.

Jake grinned at me, and I splashed him.

"COWABUNGA!" a man's voice yelled, and four guys jumped in the pool, splashing all the previous occupants. They emerged, and I recognized Tré, cackling wildly. The others were unknown to me. The black haired one spluttered, having tried to drink the beer he had carried in the pool with him. He laughed, obviously intoxicated.

"Billie Joe, are you drunk again?" Adie asked angrily, all trace of happiness gone from her eyes. Jakob averted my eyes and ushered me out of the pool, taking me to the other side of the lawn. We could still hear Adie screaming at Billie, and his slurred responses.

The look of sadness was in Jake's eyes, and I had a feeling he was more unhappy than I thought.