‹ Prequel: Forever You Remain

His Ring

the bus station

Standing in the bus station, she looked around. She didn't know any of the people. She probably never would know them. That thought brought her a twisted sense of comfort. She didn't want to know them. She didn't want to know their stories. She didn't want to be one of them. Poor. Cheap. Depressed. Wanting to be home. They would never be her and she would never be them. Why should she ever know them?

She looked down at the food on the plate in front of her trying to tell herself that she had an appetite. She didn't really. She had no interest in eating the fatty food of the Denver Bus Station. She wanted it to be six a.m. so that she could leave already. Her phone was vibrating in her pocket. She pulled it out and simply stared down at her mother's name and picture. She could imagine her panic.

The thought made her sick.

Standing, she took the untouched food and her phone and dumped both in the trashcan. One day her mother would understand. She would have to. It was that or she would never stop looking for her runaway child. Rose was desperately hoping for the first. She moved back to the bench by the door from which her bus would eventually leave and looked down at the ring that encircled her slender finger.

"I love you Rose."

The words echoed in her mind as she clasped the hand and covered it with her other before drawing both to her chest.

"I always loved you."

The tears were hot little buds that trailed down her cheeks leaving salty wet trails that she allowed to fall on her hands and arms. She loved him. She loved him so much and she could never bring him back.

"I hate you Jacob."