‹ Prequel: Forever You Remain

His Ring

lost and lonely living

She jerked awake as a hand touched her shoulder. "Sweetie?" the female voice spoke. Looking over, Rose saw the woman attempt half a smile. "We've been here at the station for a half hour now. I have to get you off the bus."

She nodded jerkily and gripped her bag. She recalled the woman vaguely as the bus driver. Pushing herself out of the seat she pushed past the woman, head bowed as she moved on. Another city. She couldn't remember what this one was. All she knew was that she wanted to be away from bus stations. She wanted to see something that....

She wasn't sure what she wanted to see really.

She just knew that she needed to walk. She needed to move. She needed to breath. Stepping down from the bus, she didn't even bother to move through the station, moving out towards the street that was in plain view. She just wanted to disappear. Maybe if she did than her problems would disappear. She knew that wasn't the case. She stopped at the corner and looked down at the ring that sat on her left ring finger.

Even if she disappeared, she couldn't give him up.

She felt so stupid. Why fall in love with someone when all they did was die and leave you? Why go through the pain when all you could feel was your heart dying because they were gone? As much as it hurt, she didn't want to take it back though. She just wanted him more than anything.

She jerked the ring off her finger and threw it as hard as she could. She regretted it an instant later as she hugged herself. She wanted the ring back, but she didn't have the strength to cross the road and get it. "I'm sorry Jacob," she whispered.

"I'm so sorry."

Turning away from the street where the ring had fallen, and started to shuffle along the road. She couldn't go home. She couldn't go back for that last piece of Jacob. She had to start over. Maybe one day she would have the strength to go back, but she knew that it wouldn't be that day. All she wanted to do at that moment was curl up in a ball and cry for days and days.

Maybe one day she would be able to do just that.