Status: In the process of rewriting chapter one. Also may be changing character names.

The Door of Mystery

The Message

Pant. Pant. Squeak.

“Ikki! Help me, Ikki!”

Boom.


“Kiel!” Ikki shouted. This was the third time Ikki had dreamt of the door in the past three days. Still out of breath, Ikki looked at the clock. It was 3 o’clock in the morning.

“Today makes it 20 years since you disappeared, Kiel,” Ikki said to himself. “Hey, Kiel. Are you trying to get me to open the door? Because I think I will. I may not be as brave as you, but I never back down on a challenge.” Ikki got out of bed and got dressed. Then he went downstairs and had breakfast. Around 5, he was outside watching the sunrise. At 6, he began to clean the yard, putting things where they belonged. Then, around 8 o’clock, Ikki’s neighbor, Mr. Condiel, came over.

“Morning, Ikki. Where you headed? And don’t tell me nowhere because you only clean your yard if you’re headed some place,” Mr. Condiel said as he walked up the front path.

“Morning, Mr. Condiel. Well, this might very be the year I opened the door,” Ikki stated with a smile. “As soon as I am done cleaning up out here, I’m going to pack my things and head out.”

“Are you sure you want to go?”

“Yes, Mr. Condiel. I’m absolutely sure. By the way, can you do me a favor while I’m away?”

“Sure.”

“Take care of my house.”

“Absolutely. I’ll check on things once a week. Oh, be right back.” Mr. Condiel headed back to his house. When he came back, he was holding a small silver box.

“I want you to have this, it is for your journey,” Mr. Condiel said as he opened it. Inside was a silver Swiss army knife with gold dragons running down the sides. “This belonged to my great, great grandfather.”

“Mr. Condiel, I can’t accept-”

Mr. Condiel raised his hand. “I have no one to pass it on to. You’re 25 years younger than me. When you find some lovely lady and have kids, give it to your eldest son.”

“Thank you, Mr. Condiel. I will. Also, you may use what food I still have in the refrigerator and cabinets, but once it is all gone, please turn off the power.”

Mr. Condiel nodded.

“Well I am all done cleaning the yard,” Ikki said as he surveyed the lawn. “So now I need to pack up my things. You have a nice day, Mr. Condiel.”

“You, too. Bye.”

“Bye.” Ikki turned and went inside to pack. It was now 9 am. He took his time packing. When he finished, he took his packs out to the front porch. It was 10 am. Ikki was finally ready to go. He looked up at his old house with its shutters closed. He walked around the house to the fire pit where the children would gather. Ikki found a stick and began to write a letter in the dirt:

Dear Children,

I’m sorry to say that I am gone. I have gone through the door in search of my friend, but I will be back with many new stories.

~Ikki Ikkataka

Ikki finished the letter and returned to the front of his house. He paused a moment to take in what he called home for what could be his last. Then, he picked up his packs and headed down the front path, closing the gate behind him.

Ikki walked along the road until he came to a small bluish-gray house. This was the home of Yuki Shindo, Ikki’s old middle school friend. Ikki walked up to the door and knocked. A few moments later the door opened. Standing in the doorway was Yuki, a tall 27-year-old man with dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes.

“Hey, Ikki,” Yuki said. “What’s with the packs?”

“I’m leaving,” Ikki stated plainly.

“You’re not going through the door, are you?”

“Yeah. This is the year.” Ikki paused. “Yuki, be the storyteller while I’m gone, will you?”

“Okay, just come back with Kiel.” Ikki nodded. “Be careful.” Yuki held out his hand. Ikki grabbed it and gave Yuki a good-bye hug.

“Bye, Yuki,” Ikki said as he headed down the road into town. It was now a little after noon, so Ikki decided to get lunch at old man Bob’s grub shop. Mr. Bob Keller, the owner, was a short man who was always helping those in need.

“Hey, Ikki. What‘s new?” Mr. Keller said as Ikki walked through the door.

“Hey, Mr. Keller. Not much, but today I’m going out of town. Can I get my usual?” Ikki said as he sat down in one of the booths. Mr. Keller knew what Ikki wanted because whenever he came he would order the same thing, fish and chips with a side of hash browns.

“Sure,” Mr. Keller said. Then, Ikki moments later, a waitress came with Ikki’s meal. Her nametag read Ruth Ironwood.

“Here’s your order,” Ruth said as her gaze fell upon the two packs that sat next to Ikki. Ruth had one son, Lincoln, who would come and listen to Ikki’s stories every night.

“How’s Lincoln?” Ikki said as Ruth turned to leave. Lincoln had been sick for the past week with a bad cold.

“He’s fine,” she stated.

“Will you tell him I’m leaving?”

Ruth spun around to face Ikki. She was shocked by his words. “A-are you really leaving?” she stuttered.

Ikki nodded his head. “I’m leaving today to follow my friend through the forbidden door.”

“I-I’ll make sure to tell him,” Ruth said quietly. Then she turned and disappeared.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Ikka!”

Ikki was walking towards the wood, but turned to see little Tommy Martin running down the path.

“Mr. Ikka, where are you going?” Tommy asked when he reached Ikki.

“The door,” Ikki stated. Ikki watched as Tommy’s eyes widened with awe.

“Can I come with?”

Ikki shook his head.

“Aw! Can I pleassse come?” Tommy begged.

Ikki shook his head again.

“May he go if I come with?” called a man. Ikki looked up to see Tommy’s father, George, coming down the hill.

“Okay. I will let him see the door. Please, follow me. The forest is thicker where we’re headed.” Ikki turned and leaded the two into the forest.

As they walked along, Ikki told them a little about Kiel and the adventures they had, as well as marked a path for them to follow back to town. After a while they reached a clearing.

“We’re here,” Ikki stated. In the middle of the clearing stood a door covered in vines. Some of the vines had been cleared just a few days before, had grown back.

“So the door really does exist,” Mr. Martin said as he gazed at the door. Tommy ran up to the door and began to reach for the knob.

“Tommy!” Ikki shouted. Tommy looked over his shoulder in surprise. “I told you not to open the door.”

Tommy slowly backed away from the door.

“It’s almost sundown,” Ikki muttered as he watched the sun reach the horizon. “You two should get going.”

“Wow! It’s already that late,” Mr. Martin stated as he looked down at his watch. It was 6 o’clock. “Come on, Tommy. We have to go or we’ll be late for supper.”

Tommy walked over to Ikki. His eyes were starting to fill with sadness. Ikki knelt down and gave Tommy a hug.

“I’ll come back. I promise,” Ikki whispered as he released Tommy from his arms.

“Come, son.” Mr. Martin held his hand out to Tommy. Tommy grabbed his father’s hand as tears streamed down his face.

“B-bye, Mr. Ikka.” Tommy cried over his shoulder as Mr. Martin led him back toward town.

Once Ikki was no longer able to see the duo, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small flute called an ocarina. He began to play an old melody that he loved. It was a slow, sad tune that had no name. Many of the children had given it the name “the good-bye song”, for every night Ikki would play it as the kids went home. Today was different. Ikki was not playing it under the night sky. He played it as the notes echoed through the forest and down into the town. Ikki stopped playing to hear the melody ring through the brilliant red sky. He listened to the wind as it wove in and out of the forest. Then, he heard something different, the soft cry of a child.

Behind a tree near the clearing, sat a little girl named Bianca. Bianca hugged her knees to muffle her crying. Ikki walked over to her and sat down by her.

“Don’t cry, Bianca,” Ikki whispered as he rubbed her back to clam her down. She looked up in surprise for she had not heard him approach. “Bianca, I’ll come back. I can promise you that you will see me again. Now, you must go back to the town.” Ikki lend over and kissed Bianca’s small forehead. Without a word Bianca left with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Good-bye,” Ikki whispered into the wind.

“20 years ago from today, a boy disappeared. He was KIEL MOCKER!”

Ikki opened the door. Without moving, he was sucked in.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is being rewritten. Subscribe to be notified when I post it.