It Began With A Gunshot

The Beginning (Imaginative, I know)

Author's Note: It is 1996. Green Day do not exist. Billie Joe is not married to Adrienne. He is a bachelor. Mike is a widower with a kid, Louie. Frank is married to a lady named Eleanor. His wife is heavily pregnant with their first child. Billie, Mike and Frank have NEVER MET.

August 1996

*Billie Joe's POV*
"That'll be five eighty five, please." I sighed as I took the money from the customer. God, I hated this shit job. Working at McDonalds. I never saw myself here.

I handed over the customer's food. My shift was almost over. Five more minutes and I'd be out of here.

I served one more customer then I put my jacket on and left. I realised I had nothing in to eat at home so I stopped at the store. I picked up some stuff, just the basics and went to pay.

I went to the shortest queue. A woman with a little girl was in front of me. She looked stressed. She dropped a packet of cereal. I picked it up and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she smiled. Wow. Her smile melted my insides.

"Uh, that's fine."

"Mommy, who's that man?"

She turned to me, with an inquisitive, almost apologetic look on her face.

"I'm Bilie Joe." I said, smiling at them.

"I'm Jessie," the little girl grinned. "That's my Mommy, Adrienne."

Again, Adrienne smiled at me.

Shortly after that I left the grocery store. I got in my beat-up car and drove off. I hummed a song I'd been working on. It was called Basket Case. I thought it was one of the best songs I'd written.

It was about how confused and depressed I was. I'm just a really paranoid guy, who likes a bit of pot. It's hard to tell when you're stoned or when you're just being neurotic. That's basically what it's about.

I got to my apartment. I carried the groceries inside my empty apartment. I lived alone.

I turned on the television. The news was on. Something about the President. I packed my groceries away and hummed. I couldn't stop thinking about Adrienne.

*Frank's POV*
I walked out of the auditorium where I had just given my speech, into my office. It was empty, as usual.

I sat down behind my desk. I looked at my memo's. I had nothing else on today. I pondered on taking up a round of golf. Then, I remembered my drum kit.

"Hmmm, I think I'll go for the drums." I grinned jumping up. I ran to the rec room, narrowly avoiding bumping into the staff.

I sat down on the stool and started drumming. If there was one thing I was good at, it was drumming.

I had been in a band called The Lookouts! when I was younger, but that had fallen apart and my Dad had suggested I run for Congress. I became a Senator, then President of the United States.

Half an hour passed. I had gotten a beer and was about to resume drumming when my secretary, Anne ran in.

"Mr President, Sir, you have an urgent message."

"God," I groaned. "It's not Tony bloody Blair, is it? I can't stand him."

"No, Sir. It's your wife. She's just gone into labour. Joe took her to the hospital. They left just now."

I jumped up. "Eleanor's in labour?"

"Yes, Sir."

I ran out. I found my driver, Adam drinking a coffee downstairs.

"Adam, I need to get to the hospital now."

He put down his coffee and started walking out to the limo. We got in and drove off.

This was it. I'm going to be a Dad.

The carphone rang. I picked it up.

"Frank Wright speaking."

"Where are you?!" Eleanor yelled down the phone.

"I'm on my way sweetie, I'm on my way."

*Michael's POV*
"All clear, and shocking, 1, 2, 3!"

"It's not working, Doctor."

"It will work dammit." I wiped several beads of sweat off my forehead.

"Charging... ..all clear... .shocking, 1, 2, 3!"

"Doctor Prit... ."

I ignored the nurse. "And shocking... 1... .2... 3!"

I sighed with relief as I heard the familiar beep of the heart monitor return.

"He's back. We've got him." I smiled. This is why I love my job. I save people's lives every day.

A nurse walked in. "Doctor Pritchard, you have a phone call."

I walked into reception. "Hello?"

"Hi Daddy!"

I smiled as I heard my three year old son, Louie's voice through the phone.

"Hey monkey. How are you?"

"I'm cool. Grandma wants to talk to you."

"OK," There was a pause as the phone changed hands. "Hi Mom."

"Hello Michael. How are you? What with it being today and all."

I sighed. Today was the first anniversary of my wife, Stephanie's death. She had been attacked by a drunk guy on the street. She had lost so much blood by the time she was brought in. Even I had known it was hopeless.

"I'm... I'm OK, Mom." I gulped, blinking back tears.

"You're sure?"

"Yeah, I just need to keep busy." The doors flew open and a woman was wheeled in. "Speaking of keeping busy I've got to go. Bye Mom, love you."

I hung up. "Hello, I'm Dr Pritchard."

The woman smiled. "I'm Eleanor Wright. I'm giving birth to my first child."

I turned to the secretary. "Can I have her notes please?"

The secretary nodded and began to print out some documents.

*Billie's POV*
I walked along the road, taking a drag of my cigarette. I sat down on a bench outside the hospital and closed my eyes. Ever since I'd got home, I couldn't stop thinking about Adrienne.

I heard a commotion around me. I stood up and pushed to the front of a crowd. A limo was pulling up. President Wright stepped out of the limo.

I saw a guy behind me stick his hand in his pocket. My breath caught in my throat and I knew what I had to do.

*Frank's POV*
I stepped out of the car. A crowd had gathered. I sighed. I hated being followed everywhere. I began to walk into the hospital.

Suddenly, I heard a gunshot and felt somebody jump into me, knocking me to the ground. Then, everything went black.