It Began With A Gunshot

Eleanor and Adrienne

*Mike's POV*

I grabbed my coat and backpack. I was leaving after a very long, very stressful day of work. As I was walking out of the door, I heard footsteps and voices.

"Dr Pritchard! Dr Pritchard! Come quick!" I sighed as I turned around. A woman on a stretcher was being wheeled in. I grabbed a corner and helped the paramedics get her to theatre. I recognized her the moment they cleaned the blood off her face.

*Frank's POV*

I watched Lily sleep, her chest moving slowly up and down. I was scared, scared that she'd stop breathing, that because she was so young, she might forget how to breathe and then I'd loose her forever.

Suddenly, the doors flew open again. I turned and braced myself for another argument, but stopped when I saw Anne run in.

"Anne, what's wrong?"

"Mr President, Sir, it's the First Lady. She's been taken to hospital."

I don't know exactly what happened after that, I just remember that an hour later I was sitting holding Lily in a small room at Washington DC's largest hospital.

The door opened and Dr Pritchard.

"Hi, Mike," I smiled, standing up and trying to shake his hand while holding Lily.

Mike smiled weakly, then sat down.

"I'm afraid I have bad news," he said, looking at his clip-board. "Eleanor had consumed a lot of alcohol, so much she passed out. I'm assuming she was attacked because she was in a rather bad state when she was picked up. She went into shock and had a heart attack a short while ago. We tried everything but her body just couldn't cope with the alcohol."

I held Lily close to me and looked down at her sleeping face.

I couldn't ever describe how I felt. Anger, sadness, shock, desperation...and relief.

*Billie Joe's POV*

"Are you sure you're alright?" asked Mom, frowning at me.

"Mom, I promise. I'm fine," I smiled at her. "I'm sorry for getting into trouble." I hung my head.

"Oh, don't be so silly," Mum grinned, ruffling my hair.

"Mom! Don't. Mess. With. The. Do!"

Mom smiled again. "Well, I'm glad you're alright. I've got to go now, but I'll be back tomorrow."

I snapped my fingers. "Damn! Just when I thought I got rid of you."

Mom chuckled and walked out. I turned to my left and saw Adrienne, staring at the ceiling.

"Hey," I said. She turned towards me. "Look." I rotated my arm.

"Oh my God!" she squealed. "That's so weird! You're double-jointed?!"

I nodded. "It's pretty cool. How're you feeling?"

"I'm OK. I can leave in two days."

"Me too."

We sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments, just smiling at each other.

"Um, how's your daughter, Jessie, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I think she's OK, she called a couple of minutes ago," Adie smiled. "Well, haven't you got a good memory. I'm surprised you remember her name."

I smiled back at her. "Um, Adrienne, seeing as how we're discharged on the same day...do you want to get lunch, then I'll drop you back at your house?"

"Oh, Billie, that's so sweet, but my... " she paused and her face fell. "No, sorry. I am free," she turned to me again, smiling her dazzling smile. "I'd love to have lunch with you."