It Began With A Gunshot

Frank's Great Idea

*Billie Joe's POV*

Adrienne and I walked to her mother's house after lunch, chatting about everything. We stood outside the door.

"Is it okay if I'm here?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure," Adrienne raised her hand and knocked on the door. A couple of seconds later, it was answered by a little old lady with white hair, who I assumed was Adrienne's mother.

"Baby! You're here!" Adrienne embraced the old lady.

"Hi Mom, how are you?"

"I'm fine, Jessie's just getting her things... oh! Talk of the devil! Hello dear," she said, turning to Jessica. "Have you got everything?"

"Yes Grandma. Mommy!" She jumped into Adrienne's arms and hugged her. "Where's Daddy?"

"I'll talk to you about that later, sweetheart, for now we've got to go home. Bye Mom, love you, I'll call you later, okay?"

"Alright dear, good bye," She kissed Adrienne on the cheek and the three of us walked along the road.

Jessica turned to me. "Hello, Billie Joe."

"Wow, you remembered. You have a great memory," I smiled.

"Not really. Mom told me you were in hospital with her," she smiled innocently. "You saved the President."

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I don't know, because I was there, really."

"Why?"

"I was walking outside the hospital."

"Why?"

"I go there to think."

"Why?"

"Okay, Jessie, that's enough questions," smiled Adrienne. "Leave Billie alone."

We turned into the street where their apartment was. We found a hollow shell, with police lines everywhere.

"What's going on?" Adie asked a passing officer.

"Someone burned down the building, residents have to go stay with relatives, we'll organise insurance and compensation later, if you come downtown," The officer droned as if he'd said it a million times before.

"Oh my God," Adie gasped.

"Where will we go Mommy?"

"You can stay with me," I said without thinking. I stood there, shocked at myself.

Well, you like her... and Jessie isn't too bad..in fact, she's pretty cool. Yeah, good job, Billie Joe!

"Yeah! Please Mommy, please?" Jessie smiled excitedly.

"Are you sure that's alright?"

"Of course, I'd be delighted."

"Yippee!" Jessie squealed, hugging me.

*Frank's POV*

"Mr. President, are you even listening to me?" scowled Lt. Myers.

"I'm sorry, I just don't think you're right on this," I placed Lily in the crib next to my desk and turned to face Myers fully.

"How can you not think it's a good idea? We need to stop these terrorists, we must use our nuclear weapons!"

"No!" I yelled, slamming my fist on the desk. "It's not right! I will not have these weapons used unless it is a dire emergency!"

"In five years this will be a dire emergency!"

"Lieutenant Myers! I will have you remember I can fire you at any moment! This is neither the time nor the place! These weapons will not be used!"

He stood up, picked up his papers and walked out.

I called my secretary.

"Anne, have a CIA agent trail Lieutenant Myers. Have the agent sent to my office for briefing first."

"Consider it done, sir. Oh, and remember you have dinner with Mr Armstrong and Dr. Pritchard tonight."

Oh God. I completely forgot. "Um, thank you Anne."

I got out a piece of paper. I desperately searched for an idea. I needed to reward Billie Joe but...

I had the best idea ever. I smiled as I wrote down my idea.

I picked up Lily. "Ha ha! Daddy's got a great idea!" I danced around the room with her.

*Mike's POV*

"Okay, Louie. Are you sure you'll be okay, staying with Freddie?"

"Yup. Where are you going?" He asked, looking at me closely.

"To dinner."

"With who?"

"A man called Billie Joe... "

"Grandma said Billie Joe saved the President."

"Yeah, he did. Then, he came to the place where I work and I made him feel better, so the President is taking me and Billie Joe out to dinner."

"Wow!" he gasped. "You're going to dinner with the President?"

I nodded.

"That's so cool!"

We pulled up outside his friend Freddie's house. I got him out of the car with his small overnight bag.

"Be a good boy," I said, ruffling his hair and hugging him.

The door was answered by a small, red-headed boy.

"Freddie! Guess what?" Louie babbled. "My Dad's going to dinner with the President!" they ran off through the house and up the stairs.

"Bye Louie!" I called.

"Bye Dad!" I heard a small voice call back. "See you tomorrow!"

A woman walked out of the kitchen. "Oh, I thought I heard someone, hello Michael."

"Hi, Angela. Thanks so much, I'm really grateful. I'll be back tomorrow morning."

"It's no problem, we love having him here. They get along so well together," She smiled as she wiped her hands on her apron.

"I gotta go," I began to walk. "See you tomorrow. Thanks again!"