What Kind of Person Are You?

Demetria Lovato

What kind of person are you?

(That's the only question.)

Running a hand through her hair, Demi's all gold bracelets and rings, black dress and jean jacket. Her eye make-up's dark, lipstick bright, and the hint of perfume I got before she sat down is spicy, like oranges and cloves.

She's got this air of guarded relaxation that I don't mind. There's something about a camera that throws some people off, makes them second-guess themselves. I suppose it's because with a camera there're no do-overs, blurring the lines of reality, or forgetting what actually happened, since it's all right there, undeniable.

I give her a rundown of my project, explain what it's all about. Then I hit record, and she starts to talk.

"A few years ago, I was seeing this guy, Joe. He was really sweet and fun, light-hearted. I enjoyed being around him because he brought out the best in me. It's difficult to find people like that these days--people who genuinely make you feel good about yourself, and as though who you are is absolutely right. Like there's nothing about you they'd want to change, even if they had the opportunity to. It was probably my favorite aspect of him.

"He liked to do simple things when we'd go out: get an ice-cream cone, play miniature golf, go to free art shows or concerts. I think that's another one of the things I liked best about him--how there was no real pressure in any regard. We were just young, and having fun.

"We'd hold hands as we walked, kiss at red lights, make breakfast together on mornings after we stayed over at each other's places. Little things that most couples do, but that feel different somehow--almost more-special--when you're the one doing them.

"He made me feel beautiful, desirable, happy. He was like..." She smiles. "To be cliché, he was like a cold glass of water when you hadn't even realized you were thirsty."

She drops into silence, smile fading a little. "He got me pregnant," she says after a moment. "I was on birth control, and we used condoms and everything, but... I mean, it can happen.

"I took three tests, and they were all positive. So, the next day, I called to make an appointment to take care of it. My best friend drove me, and everything.

"I never told Joe about any of it. He loves children, wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. I'm not sure if he is now, or not. We broke up less than two months after."

She shrugs lightly. "I guess that's the kind of person I am."