What Kind of Person Are You?

Miley Cyrus

What kind of person are you?

(That's the only question.)

There's a hint of an accent in Miley's speech, a Southern drawl. I mention it and she waves her hand as if brushing it off. "I have tried for years to get rid of it, but let me tell you, it is incredibly hard to do so. My boyfriend likes it, though, so that's something, right?"

I tell her it's more important what she likes, and she nods in a half-distracted way that I'm not sure how to take.

"We used to go to this beach house in Georgia during the summer. We had a time share there, so every June we'd pack up our things and road trip down in our van.

"One of the summers we were there, my sister and I found a baby bird in the sand beneath the pier. It was an ugly little thing, pale pink and scrawny. It didn't have any feathers on it. I'm not sure when those grow in. Still, it must have been pretty young.

"We looked around for a nest, its mom, anything we could find. We couldn't find anything, so we told our dad, begged him to let us take the little bird back to our house and take care of it, just until it was big enough to be on its own.

"Finally, he agreed, and we put it in a plastic cup with sand on the bottom and a strip of seaweed. We got the little guy home and tried to feed it anything we could think a baby gull would eat. Gave him a little water-bottle capful of water.

"He barely even lasted over a day before he died. So we dug him a grave and buried him, put flowers on it.

"I'd say that's the kind of person I am."