Sequel: Ready or Not
Status: This is my first story! Hope you all enjoy it!

Whatever It Takes

Heartstrings

“Here you go” Craig said as he handed them both their drinks. “Thanks Craig, I owe you one” Arianna replied as she took her drink. “So have you seen the Blackhawks at all in here? I’m dying to get Patrick Kane to sign my shirt” Phil, the guy from the line outside, told her as he took his drink as well. “Uh…” Arianna mumbled out as she tried to think quickly.

She felt horrible lying to someone who had been nothing but kind to her, especially seeing how much of a fan he was. She knew what that was like, to idolize someone and hope to meet them. Yet at the same time she didn’t want to sell out Patrick or make him not trust her. They hadn’t known each other for long but she still respected him enough to know he was just trying to be a regular guy tonight and be with his friends.

“Actua-” she was suddenly cut off by a hand on her lower back. “Thought maybe you got lost on your way to the bar” Patrick joked as he appeared beside her and moved himself closer to her. He was acting weird she noted, as she saw him shoot a glare in Phil’s direction. Phil stood before them, awe and confusion appearing on his face. He was trying to process how Patrick Kane stood right in front of him, yet wondering why he was shooting him death stares.

“Can I help you?” Patrick asked Phil, his arm still on Arianna. “Pat, this is Phil” Arianna began, starring at Patrick’s face trying to understand what was going on in his head. “He had helped me outside when I was stuck. He is actually a huge fan of yours,” she emphasized, nudging him slightly as she shot him a look. “He was telling me before about his brother who has autism and how you’re his favorite player” Arianna continued as she saw Patrick’s face suddenly relax and blush slightly.

He suddenly felt like an idiot, and let go of Arianna to shake Phil’s hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he said as Phil started to smile. “This is so awesome. I hate to bother you but would you mind signing my shirt please? It’s for my brother” Phil explained as he pulled out a sharpie from his pocket. “Yeah man, no problem. What’s his name?” Patrick signed the shirt, leaving a nice message for Phil’s younger brother. “This is amazing. Thank you” Phil told him as he beamed with happiness. “It’s no problem. It was nice to meet you” Patrick replied as he put his hand in his pocket and took a sip of beer.

“Anyways it was nice meeting you Phil,” Arianna said as she turned to look at him. He smiled back at her, “nice meeting you too. You know if you’re in town for a few more days and want to go for coffee…” He suddenly stopped as he saw Patrick’s face go from a smile to a frown. Arianna saw his expression change as well and put her hand on Patrick’s arm, “sorry Phil, I’m actually leaving the day after tomorrow. Ok, anyways have a good night”. She grabbed Patrick and dragged him away from the bar and towards their table before he could start a fistfight with a still stunned Phil.

“Wait,” he said as he caught her by her waist and pulled her back towards him, “there’s something I want to show you”. She gave him a curious look, but followed him anyways as he took her by the hand and led her through a door on the side and up a narrow stairwell.

He pushed the door open at the top of the steps, revealing the roof of the bar. From this lookout, they could see the skyline of downtown Chicago in close proximity, the lights burning bright against the dark sky. Arianna was taken aback by how beautiful and serene it was.
“Wow” she whispered as she took a step forward, “ this is…” she tried to find the right word, yet nothing came out. “I know right?” Patrick replied as he came to stand beside her. They stood like that for a few minutes in silence, both starring out at the city lights.

“Are we even allowed up here?” she asked suddenly, turning to face him, a worried look appearing on her face. He laughed at her reaction, “yeah, don’t worry. I have connections”. She rolled her eyes and turned back to look at the skyline; she wouldn’t admit it but she enjoyed his little remarks. It made him endearing to her in some odd way.

“How did you find this? I mean, it’s not a typical hangout spot you think about when you go to a bar” she asked him. She crossed her arms across her chest as she felt the cool air breeze around her. Maybe standing on the rooftop in nothing more than a loose black tank top and fitted jeans wasn’t the best way to stay warm. She suddenly felt material around her shoulders, and looked to see Patrick putting his jacket around her.

“No Patrick, you’re going to freeze. You’re only wearing a t-shirt,” she said as she shrugged the sweater off. He ignored her actions and put it back on her. “I’ll be fine,” he told her as he stood in front of her and kept his hands on her arms, rubbing them gently so she’d stay warm. “I can’t have you getting sick because of me, how would I live with myself?” he teased as he suddenly let her go and moved beside her again. She found herself having a hard time listening to a word he said, her head spinning from his scent.

“To answer your question though, I found this place one night when we came here after a win. The place was so packed” he began as he looked out at the scenery, “and although I do love a good party and crowd, sometimes it gets too much”. He turned to see her starring at him, a doubtful look upon her pretty face. He was having a hard time concentrating when she stood so near him. “Hard to believe I know,” he said, as he sighed and shook his head. “Sometimes I just want to be a regular guy, not have all that craziness surrounding me. I love what I do and I wouldn’t ever trade it for anything. I just wish it was simpler sometimes…” he continued, as he looked back at her, “I’m not making sense am I?”.

“You’re making perfect sense” she replied, her eyes starring into his. She found herself lost in a sea of blue, her body yearning to be near his. His confession to her pulled on her heartstrings as she saw a glimpse of his true self for the first time. She had seen so many layers of him in such a short amount of time, but this part of him was really pulling her in. He could be just like any other guy in the world, she thought as she watched him come closer to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the delay! hope you all enjoy :) i might post another chapter tonight, depending on the feedback! so let me know what you think! xo