Sequel: Ready or Not
Status: This is my first story! Hope you all enjoy it!

Whatever It Takes

Surprise, Surprise

“Maybe we should just go back,” Arianna mumbled, as they paid their cab fare and got out. It was a chilly night in November; the Chicago night sky was filled with clouds threatening to pour rain down upon the city. She hugged her coat closer around her body, as she gazed at the apartment building in front of her.

John had somehow managed to get them tickets to Chicago, even though it was such short notice. He had arranged it all with his travel agent who connected the flight and tickets to Arianna and Marissa. They had left that Friday afternoon, landing a mere few hours before they were expected to be at Patrick’s. Arianna wasn’t sure how they managed to do it all and be on time. She prayed luck was on her side for the night.

“Oh stop it” Marissa said, as she grabbed her hand and dragged her forward. “You know you’re excited” she continued, as they pushed past the revolving doors and into the lobby. Arianna didn’t answer her, as she tried to steady her fast beating heart.

She wasn’t sure why she had suddenly become so nervous. A piece of her was excited, as her stomach did flips every time she thought about finally seeing Patrick up close. Yet the rest of her was numb, allowing her nerves to get the best of her.

What if it’s awkward? What if he isn’t happy to see me? She forced herself to silence those thoughts, pushing them aside as they stepped inside the elevator. Just breathe, she thought to herself as they elevator pulled them up. You are in complete control. He is just a boy. You do not let boys affect you like this. She repeated the words over and over in head, enough times until she forced herself to believe it somewhat.

As the elevator doors opened, Arianna swallowed hard. She felt her chest tighten as they walked out and towards Patrick’s apartment, the sound of faint music coming from the other side of the door. As the walked, Marissa leaned over and squeezed Arianna’s hand for support, “you ready?”. Arianna turned and looked at her, her eyes filled with excitement and concern. She squeezed her friend’s hand back in response, as they stood in front of the door.

***

The party was turning out to be a huge success. Patrick wandered through the crowd of people, every so often bumping fists with one of them or patting them on the back. He had been so upset when they lost their game that night. He wanted to win tonight, especially because it was his birthday. Guess you can’t win them all, he thought as he laughed silently to himself and took a gulp of his drink.

He was so down though; he had rejected to go out for drinks with the guys. When he had gotten home afterwards, he was shocked to find all his friends at his house, in the midst of preparing a party for him. It wasn’t really a surprise party, more of a “we’re bringing the party to you” type of event. Although he wouldn’t admit it out loud, he was truly thankful for them. They helped make it easier being away from his family. Yet there was one thing bothering him.

He glanced down at his phone, checking to see if he had any new messages. He sighed as he saw there was none and put his phone back in his pocket. There was really only one person he found himself wanting to hear from.

And yet, she hadn’t messaged him or called him once all day. Actually, he hadn’t heard from her at all since their iChat session the night before. She knew it was his birthday, he had even mentioned it to her again last night. Fuck it, he thought as he took another swing of his drink. What did I expect? It’s not like we’re together. She doesn’t owe me anything.

He hated that she made him this crazy, that she had enough power of him to make him care so much. Yet the truth was, he was head over heels for her. She was all he thought about, all he dreamt about. But he knew nothing could happen in the way he wanted it to. At least I still get to have her in my life, he thought, as he walked over to join Jon, Seabs and Sharpie.

“Kaner!” Sharpie yelled out as he threw his arm about Patrick’s shoulder and pulled him close. “Someone’s growing up!” he continued, as he ruffled his hair. Patrick snaked his way away from Sharpie, laughing as he finished his drink. He knew he should slow down, but it was his party and he deserved to have some fun. He felt all the nights drinks start to hit his head, as he leaned over and looked at Jon.

“Tazer” Patrick began, as he suddenly heard above the music a knock on the door. “Kaner” Jon said, a smiling creeping on his face as he made his way to the door. Patrick followed behind him, slightly confused as to why Jon was smiling at him. He never smiled at him.

“Johnny, where is this gift you told me you had for me?” Patrick inquired as he followed Jon from behind. Jon just turned and gave him a look over his shoulder, “you’ll get it soon”. He reached over and opened the door. “Well, it better be fucking amazing” Patrick slurred slightly, not able to see who was on the other side of the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
New readers, subscribers and a comment! :) Thank so much to everyone!! This is a little thank you! These next few chapters coming up have been so much fun to write, can't wait to share them! More comments please? :) xo