Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Surprise! What...?

"So where are we going exactly?" I asked for the millionth time in just about five minutes, I knew I was starting to irritate Zachary, so I finally decided to be quite until he talked.

"We're here." He said, I was overjoyed with relief and jumped out of his jeep immediately.

It was getting dark, the sun was setting behind the house I now stood in front of. It wasn't much, it was a small colonial house; one you'd expect to see somewhere in Connecticut. It was painted white, with black shutters, and the roof was in poor shape as I examined it. The porch looked like it had been painted a yellow color many years ago, and began to fade into a bland tan color. The screen door was broken in half laying on the right side of his house and we had to park on the street because there seemed to be no garage or space to park beside the house for that matter.

"I'm guessing, this is your house?" I asked, in a tone I immediately regretting. I know it sounded like I was expecting more from him. He ignored me, I was pretty sure he was expecting that reaction anyway.

Zachary began walking across the grassy front yard that had a couple dirt patches here and there. He stopped to turn and find me still standing by his jeep. The expression plainly on my face must have tipped him off that I was nervous to see his house. He smiled and walked back to me.

"Don't worry, it's not as awful looking as it is out here." He said, gently placing his hand in mine, and guiding me up to his house.

We reached the steps; the squeak they made as I stepped on them frightened me a little; I thought they were going to break under the weight of my body, so I hurried off them. Zachary laughed at the little entertainment he was getting from my horror struck face. His reaction to my terror made the blood rush to my cheeks as usual, I couldn't help the fact that I was easily embarrassed.

He reached for the door knob slowly, as if he was waiting for me to stop him; I didn't. When he knew I wasn't going to change my mind and make him take me home, he opened the door. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply. Why was I so nervous? I'm pretty sure that I've been here a lot of times before this.

That was the obvious reason why I was nervous. I wasn't a hundred percent sure I had been in his house before. Of course from the grim expression he was giving me, I knew I had been there. It seemed his expression was trying to say, "Come on! You've seen my place already. Remember."

"So what do you think?" He asked spreading his arms out in the air and doing a little twirl around the living room for effect. I gave him a little grin, to assure him I wasn't that afraid anymore.

He seemed satisfied enough with my answer and led me to the couch. He motioned me to sit down next to him, which I did. The couch made a small squeak as I sat down. I blushed a little from the sound, it was almost as if it was going to break if I moved. So I did my best to stay still, you just never know.

It was silent for a while, until we heard footsteps coming from a different room. I stiffened a little and Zachary smoothed my tension out by softly squeezing my left hand in his to reassure me that it was okay.

"Zachary! Where have you been, you freaking idi-" The voice stopped mid-sentence, seeming to be surprised.

I wasn't sure if I should look up and see who it was that was talking. I knew it was a boy though, he didn't sound much older then Zachary, which must mean that he is Zachary's older brother, possibly.

"Hailey?" It was barely audible, but I hear my name from the mystery man.

Automatically I jerked my head up, surprised to see what I saw. Liquid blue eyes, where all I saw before anything else. Jet black hair, that, when reflected off the light, made it look blue. He was maybe almost six feet tall and he seemed paler then Zachary.

"Hailey?" Came the question again before I could finish the examination of him. I looked back down to the floor, embarrassed that I was going to blush for the millionth time that day.

"You okay?" Came from the familiar voice, Zachary.

I nodded in response, still waiting for the blood to flow to my face, but after a few more seconds of nothing happening, I looked back up to the boy; man?

"Hailey, this is Liam, my brother." Zachary said grimly, as if it was getting too difficult to explain things to me now.

"Hi Liam." I said, trying my best to sound like I never forgot him.

"It's okay Hailey, you don't have to pretend." Liam smirked. Great, I knew I was tomato red again.

"Well I was just on my way to go pick up Adeline and Katie from their friends house." Liam said starting to walk toward the door.

"Okay, see you later." Zachary said leaning back on the couch.

Liam nodded toward Zachary and looked at me and said, "Take care." We locked eyes for another brief moment and he was out the door.

When we heard the engine of Liam's truck slowly fade away Zachary got up and stretched.

"I should go home now." I said standing up next to him.

"What are you talking about? We just got here."

"True, but I'm getting really tired."

Zachary seemed to hesitate for a moment but finally sighed and nodded, "alright, I'll take you home now then."

Slowly we made our way out of the house. The fresh air of the night filled my lungs as we walked down to his jeep. A couple lone cars drove by in the process of getting in the jeep, starting it, and buckling up.

I guess I really wasn't lying when I said I was getting tired, because when Zachary started to pull away from his house, I was fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's summer! That means I'll have more time to post. :]
PLEASE, I really would like some words of wisdom from the critics out there to help my writing in prove.
Thanks for reading as well!