Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Curiosity Killed the Cat

Funny, how one word can mean so many things. How one word can send a million of different emotions through you. As I laid on my bed that night, thinking of what Elizabeth had said to me, I didn't understand at first. I didn't understand why she said it, or why she was wasted. The reason didn't occur to me, for a while that she was blaming everything that has happened recently on me. When I did realize this, I began to cry. The first time I cried since being let out of the hospital. She was blaming me for the accident, she was blaming me for the death of my father and my little brother. How I knew all this? The fact that she had just called me a bitch and was drinking vodka, clearly stated that. I didn't need her to tell me her reasons. So again, I was laying on my bed thinking, why she blamed me. I couldn't cry anymore, the tears stopped coming long ago. Finally, exhaustion hit me like being hit in the head with a basketball, and I went to sleep.

~•~
We pulled up to my house, it was nice and quiet. Zachary cut the engine and it became silent, both of us with nothing to say. So I unstrapped my seat belt and got out of his jeep. Zachary was by my side before I could process it. I could never get use to how he seemed to sneak up on me most of the time. He walked me up to where my porch was, just like always and also just like always, waited for me to say something.

"Sorry I went crazy from your speeding." Zachary let out a little chuckle and looked up at me and smiled. Damn my stomach for feeling fluttery every time he smiled at me.

"It's alright, I guess I should have told you why I did that before hand." Zachary explained, completing the space between us so he was now just inches away from me; our eyes locked onto each others. "I love you."

"I love you too." I replied, knowing it was truth. I smiled and kissed him and said goodnight. He hugged me tightly before saying good night to me. "Good night," He said and walked back down to his jeep. Also like always, he waited for me to go inside before he drove off.

Locking the door behind me, I made my way to the living room. Only the light off the television helped me see the two figures on the couch. My dad was sitting on the right side of the couch with a sleeping Jake laying stretched out on the rest of the couch. I smiled and waved to my dad. He mouthed a "hi" before going back to what ever it was he was watching. I made my way out of the living room and started up the stairs.

I changed into my pajamas (sesame street to be exact; just don't tell anyone), and curled up in my blanket. The digital clock on top of my dresser proudly shone bright, almost like a night light; the bright neon numbers read '1:14' am. Surprised I lasted this long without falling asleep, I smiled in self pride and lazily closed my eyes.


~•~

Beep, beep, beep! The annoying alarm clock went blasting it's self.

I sighed, too tired to even attempt and figure out how to shut it off. I grabbed my pillow from under my head and suffocated myself with it to drain the noise of the alarm out of my ears. I knew I couldn't last forever with the pillow squishing my face and having no air access, my lungs won and I threw the pillow down, glad to be able to breath again. I lazily made my way toward the dresser, closer to the noise and did my best to find the off button. Agitated from not getting enough sleep, and from the noise, I unplugged the alarm clock and went back to my bed.

Not two seconds later, their was a knock at the front door. I sighed, even more irritated, I was not a morning person. I slowly got out of bed not really caring that I was wearing some embarrassing pajamas and walked out of my room. I glanced down the hall to see that Elizabeth was no longer against the wall, hopefully she was just in her room. So I quickly went down the stairs just in case she popped out of her room; whoever was at the front door seemed to get annoyed by no one answering the door and started knocking on it, well more like banging on it.

"I'm coming! Just shut up!" I yelled while trying to hurry down the steps. I almost fell, on the last step, and if I did I would have killed the person outside for making me hurry.

"Okay what do you want." I spat opening the door to find a middle-aged guy with graying hair and was wearing a UPS uniform.

He glared at me then said, "is there a Hailey Lexington here?"

"That's me."

"Sign here please." He said handing me the form he was holding. Quickly I signed it and handed it back to him. He then bent down and picked up a square box, about the size of a computer box and handed it to me.

"Have a nice day mam," he spat and walked back to his door less UPS truck and drove away.

"Asshole!" I yelled, hoping he heard me. The old lady across the street who was pulling weeds out of her flower garden turned around to look at me in horror. Her big old lady glasses almost falling to the ground in the process. I glared at her, daring her to say something. After a long moment of her staring she went back to her weeds.

I sighed and walked back into the house, surprised that the box wasn't as heavy as I had expected it to be. I walked up the stairs and hesitated in the hallway, when I saw everything was clear I ran for my room. I closed the door behind me and sat the box down on my bed. I dug through my desk drawer and found a pair of scissors to detached the tape that was keeping it closed.

"Shit!" I dropped the scissors on the floor and started sucking on my thumb. The raw taste of blood flowing from my thumb down my throat. I ran out of my room and down to the bathroom. Quickly, I turned the cold water on from the sink and placed my finger under it for a couple seconds while getting some soap out of the cabinet. I cleaned my thumb up, some blood was still coming out, not as much though; so I fixed it by placing a bright yellow band-aid around it and walking back to my room.

I picked up the scissors and put them back in my desk drawer, "stupid." I said and went back to the box that sat upon my bed. It wasn't opened all the way yet, so I ripped the rest of the top off. Inside, all I saw at first was a whole bunch of bubble wrap. I took it all out and at bottom of the box was an envelope. Confusion covered my face as I stared down in the box. Why couldn't they just mail this? I thought. I reached in the box, curiosity getting the better of me...
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?
Thanks for your comments!
More soon :]