Sound Effects and Overdramatics

I'll Always Remember You

When I woke up again, I found myself in one of those ugly hospital gowns. It was colored puke green, with little dogs on it; I hated dogs. My left arm was attached to a IV and there seemed to be a lot of random cords attached to me as well. I started to detach them in a rush, that I didn’t even notice the nurse come running in to calm me down and reattach everything. For the second time that day; or as I figured was a day, I passed out.

“When we get home can we play scrabble?” A small adorable boy with small spikey hair asked.

“Noooo, we play that all the time!” Replied a man in a childish voice sitting beside me in a cheerful voice; this seemed to be the most perfect moment.

I glance back in the rear view mirror and giggle.
“I’ll play with you Jake.” I reply, I guess this boy was named Jake.
“Really? Thanks Hailey, you’re the best sister I could ever have!” Sister…

“Hailey, watch ou-” I didn’t hear the rest, I couldn’t hear the rest.
Suddenly everything becomes distorted and the picture begins to fade. All I can hear is the screams of the little boy, the man sitting in the passenger seat next to me and myself. Then, the picture fully goes away it’s just completely dark.

I can hear myself heavily breathing. But nothing is happening. My head begins to hurt and I can’t move my legs or arms. I’m trapped almost tangled in a seat belt? Yes, it’s a seat belt. I begin to panic trying with all my strength to get out of what ever it is I’m trapped it. How did I get her? The world seems to be spinning out of control. I begin to see flashing lights in front of me. Am I delusional?

The picture skips to a view of the rear view mirror. In the mirror I see the little boy, he’s bleeding from the top of his head and there are pieces of glass in his arms and one that looks to be stuck in the side of his neck.


“Jake!” I sit up in the hospital bed, sweating and panicked my eyes are still closed and my arms and legs are killing me. Not only that, it feels like a thousand needles are pushed deeply in me and it hurts to breath. What did I just see? What the hells going on?

“Hailey? Thank God you’re okay!” A soft concerned voice says as I begin to open my eyes.

When my eyes are open I see a guy staring at me with a worried expression. I become self-conscious and cover myself with the thin hospital blanket. Moving this much cases great pain in my lower back and neck.

“Hailey, don’t move, I know it hurts, just don’t move.” This boy who seemed to be concerned with my condition told me.

Defeated, I relax my muscles and stay where I was. We didn’t talk for a while. I looked around the room, to see a big vase filled with lilies and a few big balloons with the words ‘Get Well Soon!’

When I look back at the boy I see that he had returned to his chair, next to my hospital bed, and he was staring at me curiously. He seemed to be waiting for me to say something but I just stared at him. He had the most beautiful shade of liquid blue eyes. His hair was brown, a dark brown not one of those ugly browns, it was almost too perfect. I felt like I knew him, but just couldn’t seem to place him.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked shyly, he smiled; god was it a beautiful smile.

“Of course” He replied.

“Who are you?” When I said those words I knew it was something he most likely didn’t want to hear because his perfect smile faded away and he lowered his head.

“They told me you might not remember me. I just hoped they were wrong, doctors are always wrong. Guess not this time.” He said in a disappointed tone.

“What? What did they say? Please I have no idea what’s going on.” Just like on cue a doctor came walking in. To save the day? Hopefully.

“Good afternoon Hailey” He said in a professional tone. He must have figured I was lost and confused so he continued, “You had most of us scared. We didn’t think you would make it. But you sure proved us wrong.” He said, looking over what seemed to be my chart.

I turned to the almost perfect boy in confusion. He looked back at my with what seemed sympathy. I realized he never answered my earlier but thought it be best to get answers of what was going on right now.

“Hailey,” the boy started, he leaned forward in his chair and placed his hand on mine. I almost pulled away, but liked the fact that this beautiful boy was paying attention to me. “A couple days ago you were in a car accident with your little brother and father. The car seemed to have flipped a few times and is totaled. It didn’t make it…” He paused then kept going, “this hitch hiker found the car about 500 feet off the road and ran to the nearest gas station to get help. It must have been a couple hours before the ambulance came to get you guys out. But by then you were all almost close to death. I’m sorry, you’re brother and father didn’t make it. I’m so sorry Hailey.”

How was I supposed to take this? I didn’t know how. I screamed. I know that’s not the reaction either of them wanted, nor did I but I did it anyway. Then I tried to think of my father and brother. Who were they? I couldn’t remember anything.

I began to cry and asked, “Why can’t I remember anything? What’s wrong with me? I’m scared. I don’t remember my father or my brother. I don’t even remember myself.” I cried, what seemed for hours but was merely seconds when the doctor finally started to talk.

“You’re lucky to be here Hailey, you should know that. Like I said before we had trouble getting you to respond for a while, and when you woke up during the operation, boy was that a surprise.” I remembered seeing the five marshmallow men and bright lights everywhere. “The accident caused you to have memory loss. We took x-rays of your skull, and you cracked it in quiet a few places, which made oxygen begin to from in your brain, which is what caused you to lose your memory.

We’re not sure if you will ever remember everything that happened before the accident. And if you are lucky enough to remember, well that may take years to happen. Until then we have to just keep a close eye on you and make sure you’re living your live normally again.”

“So what, I’m supposed to go on and just restart my life?” I was still in a confused state and all this information was making it worse.

“We hope you’ll be able to do this Hailey. It may be hard but you have too.” The doctor replied and walked out the room.

It became quiet again and then I repeated my earlier question, “So who are you?”

He didn’t respond for several minutes and was just staring at me, when he finally sighed and said “I’m your boyfriend.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to try and update this story daily. Comments and critics are welcome to post!