Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Restart

Zachary had walked out of the hospital room after my little episode of crying and screaming at him to leave so I could be alone before my mother got there. What else was I suppose to do? I didn't know anything at all. Well I knew how to talk, I now knew my name and that's about it. Well okay I was having trouble remembering my birthday but I would just ask my mom about that.

I was too caught up in my thoughts, that I didn't notice when a lady had entered the room and had taken the seat in which Zachary had sat in earlier. I didn't even notice when she pulled the chair closer to my hospital bed and began to cry on my shoulder. It wasn't until I heard her crying about Jake, my brother I dreamed about last night that I took notice of her there.

I looked over to the woman to find that she was crying on my shoulder. She had black hair with a few white hairs you could see here and there. She looked as if she hadn't had a decent night of sleep in a couple days. I guess I would have been like that too if I wasn't in a coma of some sort and if I knew what was going on. She lifted up her head too look at me. Her eyes were blood shot and you could see the olive green solid that it use to have, turn to liquid. I felt bad for her, she must be my mother.

"I'm sorry mom." It felt strange and foreign to call this woman I barely knew 'mom'. But when she heard this, it only made her cry more on my already wet hospital sleeve. Instead of trying to calm her down, like I intended to do I let her go on crying for a few more minutes before she gained back her composer on her own.

"Hailey, are you okay?" Were her first words she spoke. I gazed into her bloodshot eyes when I replied, "No, I don't even remember you. I'm not okay."
She nodded as if she understood what I was going through.

"The doctor told me about that." She let go of her grip on my sleeve and retreated to the bathroom to properly clean the tears off her face. I heard the water pouring from the sink and then the sound of paper towels being pulled out of the dispenser.

When she returned to the chair next to my bed she continued to wipe at the tears that would escape from her already puffy eyes. Why can't I cry? I asked myself. I should be crying as much or even more then she is. I've been through more then she has. But then again, I don't even remember my brother or my father or her.

Breaking the silence once again with my stupidity I asked her what her name was. Elizabeth. Elizabeth was my mothers name. I asked her if she'd ever blame me for what happened. She said she'd never do anything like that, that it wasn't my fault, that I couldn't have possibly caused the accident. After a while, we were talking and laughing like we knew each other for years. Of course, we have known each other for years, which is a bit ironic, but I doubt we ever talked to each other like this. She told me all about my childhood, how I acted, how I'd become silent and distant when something was on my mind. I'd ask her questions, she'd answer them truthfully.

It was finally around 9:30 the time that visitors had to leave. I asked for her to stay, but the doctor said she had to go. So she hugged me goodbye, carefully of course as to not hurt me because of all the pain I was in already.

~•~

The next day when I woke up, Zachary was already occupying the infamous chair.

"Good morning" He spoke scooting the chair closer to my hospital bed once again. I smiled at him and sighed. I didn't want to wake up but couldn't go back to sleep because of the bright rays of the sun shining through the window.

The doctor came waltzing in again, with a cheerful smile on his face. What was the news this time? Well from the look of his expression it must be good. So I sat up, the pain not as bad as yesterday for I'd gotten use to it.

"Well guess what Hailey? You get to go home today. You seem to be responding good from the injuries and nothing serious is taking place. You'll be released this afternoon. I just got off the phone with your mother, she'll be here shortly as well." The doctor said.

"Wow, you make it sound like I have some sort of disease." I responded making the doctor laugh.

Zachary stood up and shook the doctors hand, "thank you, for you know, saving her." He looked down at me with a smile while saying this.

"Of course." The doctor nodded and walked back out of the room.

"So," I began getting Zachary's attention. "What's school like?"

"Well, you're not popular, just so you know." He laughed when I glared at him and threw one of the hospital pillows at him, making the pain in my left arm come back. "I was kidding!" He said throwing the soft pillow back at me.

"I know, I just wanted to do that." I smiled like a child would after doing something they knew would get their parents mad.

He then began to tell the story of how we met each other. I told him I thought it was a pretty lame way to meet each other and that I thought this Chelsea person was indeed as evil as she sounded. Zachary said she moved onto college this year and that this year he and I were seniors and were "competing" for valedictorian during graduation next semester.

He told me about his family, that his parents divorced each other when he was just 4 years old and his mom is no where to be found and his father is in prison. I asked him who he lived with then, he said his older brother Liam takes care of him and his siblings. Zachary said that Liam is 19 years old, and almost everyone thinks he is an irresponsible person and shouldn't be allowed to look after children. Which talking about this got Zachary a little upset. Then he laughed it off and asked if I had anymore questions.

Before I could ask another one my mom came walking in. She smiled and greeted Zachary before coming over to my bedside and giving me a big hug. Zachary said he would leave and call me later. He then gave me a hug and left the room.

My mother and I spent the rest of the afternoon talking about things I asked. She also brought a photo album which I flipped through. She again cried, talking about my brother and father, how I was really close to the both of them. I then again let her cry on my shoulder. It was almost 1:30 when the nurse came in saying I was allowed to leave, but my mom had to sign a couple papers. So the nurse came over to the bed and began to take out the IV that was in my hand and taking off all the other plugs that were on me. My mom then handed me a small blue duffel back and told me to go get dressed. Not being able to walk for a few days, made me have less balance so the nurse escorted me to the bathroom.

I locked the door with the heavy silver deadbolt that was on the door and dropped the duffel back on the checkered tiled floor next to me, making the bag fall with a thud. Slowly making sure to not loose my balance and fall, possibly to break an arm or leg, I bent down and up zipped the bag. Inside I found a pair of blue jeans and a slim fit Atreyu shirt. I guess I liked Atreyu? So I put on my clothes and walked out of the room. I found a pair of shoes next to the hospital bed. Guessing they were mine I slipped them on and walked out of the room with the duffel bag. I found my mom at the information desk just out the door with nurses behind the big desk. I saw her scroll her name rapidly and give back a few sheets of paper to the nurse that helped me get to the bathroom.

My mom turned around and smiled at me. "Ready?" She asked, feeling nervous I nodded. She led me by the arm out the hallway we were in. We then ended up at an elevator door, she pushed the black down arrow, the light popped up and the doors slid open making a ding sound. My mother then took the blue duffel bag saying she could carry it for me and led us through the big steel sliding doors and as we walked in the doors slid shut. She pressed the button for level 1.

When we got to the parking lot, Elizabeth my mother stopped at a little maroon cobalt car and unlocked it. I took the bag from her and opened the back door behind the passenger side and put the bag on the seat. I then walked to the passenger side of the car and got it. Strapping the seat belt and closing the door I sighed in relief and worry.

Okay. Time to start my life all over again.