Sound Effects and Overdramatics

I've Never Felt So Great

I asked my mother if I could just call her Elizabeth for now, until I got comfortable calling her mom again. She seemed okay with it, but I knew she must of not been to happy about this. Then again, she knew what I've been through so that's the possible reason why she agreed to this.

We were driving through a wooded area with the sun shining bright on our faces. I rolled down the window hearing the clear whoosh sound of the cars on the other side as they drove by. The trees looked as if they were all connected together, though of course they weren't they just looked that from the blurry-ness of them as we drove by. After a few minutes me taking in the fresh air from outside I rolled the window back up. Elizabeth turned on the radio so it wouldn't be so quite in the car.

A stop sign came up and Elizabeth slowed the car down to stop. She turned her blinkers on to indicate she would be turning right. When we were off again I saw little shops down the road we were now going. People, mostly teenagers were roaming the streets and shops seeming to be having fun. We then came to a stop light and this time we turned left. About half a mile from the shops and passing more trees, we came to a little suburban area with big white homes of different shapes and designs.

Elizabeth pulled up the driveway of the fourth house that was completely beautiful I must say. The house was a typical colonial home you'd most likely see somewhere in Connecticut. The shutters were painted a black color. The garage looked as if it could fit two trucks in it. There were four windows on the top floor that I could see. The porch even seemed to have it's own personality as we walked up the drive way and the little graveled path to the porch.

The porch roof was being held up by four skinny white pillars with ovals grooved in them. There was a porch swing on the far end of the porch that had a yellow cushion on it. There were lilies growing in window baskets that seemed to match perfectly. The door was black with a silver door knob and silver knocker on it.

Elizabeth quickly turned the gold, ridged, key that would fit perfectly in the key whole and opened the door. She motioned for me to walk in as she disappeared through the door leaving the door wide open for me to join her inside the house. Walking cautiously and breathing in deep breaths I slowly got to the door and closed my eyes shut.

"Surprise!" Yelled screaming voices. When I opened my eyes I saw a big banner hanging from the ceiling that said, 'Welcome Home!' and about thirty people with smiling faces, two of which were Elizabeth and Zachary. The only people I knew.

Not knowing what to do with myself I decided to smile, which worked out pretty well because they laughed. Then everyone went back to what they were doing before. Zachary and Elizabeth came walking up to me with smiling faces.

"I'm sorry Hailey, it was Zachary's idea." Elizabeth said hugging me yet again.

"Oh, well it's nice. Thank you." I said looking over Elizabeth's shoulder and looking at Zachary. He was wearing a different outfit then what he was wearing at the hospital that morning. I only noticed because that morning he was wearing a plain black shirt with blue jeans. His shoes also looked like they were the only pair of shoes he owned. But now, he was wearing a dark blue collared shirt with black slacks and shining converse. Elizabeth finally let go of me from her grasp and said she'd let us be alone.

I stood there staring down at his shoes, seeing that he he would lean on one side then lean on the other side of his feet. When I finally looked up I saw that he was staring at me, which made me self-conscious, which of course made me blush and have that same fluttering feeling in the pit of my stomach once again.

"So," I began, "why did you do this?"

"Because I wanted you to know that all these people, Elizabeth, me. Are all here for you. I wanted you to feel safe, and I wanted you to know how important you are to us." He got closer to me and stared in my eyes.

"I wanted to let you know, that I love you." We gazed into each others eyes, my mind not yet comprehending what he had just said to me. My brain must of malfunctioned by him just staring at me.

"Um, Hailey?" A girls voice came, breaking the trance I seemed to be in with Zachary. I turned to the left side of me to see a short slim girl staring at me with worry eyes. I figured when she knew it was really me, she smiled and hugged me. Caught off surprise I became stiff, but realizing the act she had did I loosened up again.

"Sorry," she began, letting go me,"I've just been worried."

"It's okay. I'm sorry, this is going to sound insincere, but who are you?" I asked.

She let out a chuckle, "I'm sorry I forgot, what Zachary told me but. My names Samantha Grey. You're best friend? Just call me Sam."

Feeling like a complete idiot I blushed again and looked down to the floor. Samantha noticed my reaction and began to apologize and beg for my forgiveness.

"No, it's okay. It's my fault my stupid brain won't let me remember much." I said looking up at her now glossy brown eyes from almost crying. I felt bad, not for me but for her, she seemed like the nicest person and here I am being an idiot.

"It wasn't your fault." Zachary interrupted only to become mute again.

Samantha glanced over at Zachary, with an apologetic expression on her face and then turned back to me. "Well I guess I'll see you later? Okay bye Hailey." She gave me another hug and walked out the door.

The rest of that evening was spent with me getting many hugs and having sympathetic conversations with people. Most of the people that came were students; friends I had and was suppose to know. I learned that I had my own circle of friends before the accident, which consisted of Zachary, Samantha, Katie, Josh, Ryan, Cassandra and Emma. I talked to these people more then others.

Only the people that claimed to be my closest relatives came as well. My twin cousins, Leo and Leland came. They said I spent a week every summer with them in there beach house in California. A few of my aunts and uncles were there. Mostly from my dads side of the family as they told me. Both my grandparents arrived as well. My relatives mostly cried and mourned for my father and brother. The funeral was scheduled for that Saturday. Why couldn't I cry?

After the exhausting evening and everyone had filed out of the house except for Elizabeth (obviously) and Zachary I sat on the soft white cotton couch in the living room with Zachary watching TV.

"Did you know you picked out these couches?" Zachary asked turning to face me. I looked at him in confusion.

He smiled and continued, "You made me go with you and your mom when you picked out these couches. It was a surprise for your dad and Jake. You didn't want leather because 'it's not fair for the cows'" he said seeming to be quoting me. He watched me closing waiting for my reaction.

The whole time I racked my mind trying to remember anything, anything at all about that day. I came up with nothing, the only memories was of being in the hospital that day and the night before. I frowned in disappointment of myself and embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, I didn't to upset you." Zachary said lower his head.

"No it's okay. I know you didn't. I just need time to adjust."

We didn't say anything more but started at the TV. I yawned making a weird sound making both Zachary and I laugh. I heard Elizabeth come walking down the stairs.

"Hailey? It's getting late. I think it's time for you to go home now Zachary. I'm going to sleep now. I'll see you in the morning Hailey." She then went back up the stairs.

"Well I guess I'll get going now. I'll see you later. Bye Hailey." He stood up from the couch, stretched for a second and walked out the living room. Panicky I ran after him. Before he opened the door to leave I called his name. He turned around questionably. We stood there for a few seconds before I walked up to him and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled sweetly.

"I guess that's a start." He said and said goodnight to me and walked out the door.

Relieved that I didn't make a fool out of myself I sighed and locked the front door. I then went up the stairs, down the hall on the right to where Elizabeth said was my room and shut the door. I didn't realize how tired I was until I crawled under the warm light blue blanket and instantly fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
please i need to know what you think so far