Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Head Over Heels

It was a nice spring day so Zachary and I decided to go to the park. We sat under the tree that Zachary and I first kissed each other just a few months ago. It amazed me how in just a few months we had become so close to each other.

I laid my head on Zachary's right shoulder as we sat against the tree stump. Zachary then wrapped his arm around my waist to bring me closer. We sat there silently watching people having fun. A few parents were playing in the grass with their children. Some kids I've seen at school were there having fun as well. Over all everyone seemed to be having fun in this oh so perfect spring day.

"Hey guess what?" Zachary asked breaking the silence.

"What's that?" I asked getting closer to him.

"Do you know what's in a couple weeks?" He asked letting go of his hold on my waist so he could look into my eyes.

It had been about six months since we had been together but still, every time I looked into his eyes I got the same fluttery feeling in my stomach. The same thing happened every time he smiled or laughed. There was just something about this boy that made me feel like jello every time I was around him.

I thought for a few seconds when I realized what he was talking about. I smiled and answered, "your birthday?"

"Yes, I'll finally be seventeen. Can you believe it?" He asked me.

"Actually I can. It's just seventeen. What's so great about it?" I asked.

He looked at me like I'd just confessed I was a boy, automatically making the blood rush to my cheeks uncontrollably. He saw how he made me embarrassed, only because I was so pale, that you could tell when I blushed. This made him chuckle and kiss me. Curse my inability to control my embarrassment! I mentally screamed at myself.

"Seventeen is as I believe the best age to be. You're almost an adult but you're still a teenager and, I don't know I can't describe it. My brother said it was his best year."

"Yeah the year where Liam fucked up?"

"Don't say that." He snapped at me, making me feel like a deer stuck in headlights. "Liam isn't like that. You don't know him. He takes care of me and my sisters. If that's not enough prove for you to realize that he isn't a irresponsible person then I don't know what is."

Liam is Zachary's older brother. Since Zachary's dad has been in prison most of Zachary's life and the fact that his mom had just past away when I first met him, Liam has been taking care of his siblings. I have to admit it shouldn't make him seem like a bad person or anything. But from what Zachary told me, Liam did something really stupid almost three years ago. He was originally spend four years in Juvenal, but since Zachary's mom died, they let him go.

I don't know exactly what happened and why Liam was imprisoned, only because Zachary doesn't like talking about it. Well whatever it was that Liam did, it gave Liam a bad reputation. Not everyone trusts him.

I sat there staring at Zachary in disbelieve. He'd never snapped or yelled at me before. I knew this was a sensitive subject to him. He may be the most popular person in school, but he still got trouble from people complaining about his brother.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that." I said looking away from him.

"You did. Everyone does." He said quietly.

"No I didn't." I snapped back at him.

We glared at each other for a few moments when he finally looked away.

I got up and started to brush off the little pieces of grass on my pants. I didn't want to be near him if he was going to act like a child.

When I was about to walk away, I turned to him waiting to see if he'd apologize for yelling at me. But he just sat there staring up at the sky.

"I guess perfect days don't last long." I said and walked away.