Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Town or City?

"So what do you think so far?" Elizabeth asked me as we walked down the main street of the Town.

"It's nice. Better then a city" I shuddered at the thought of a city.

The people, the noise, the cars, and the shops where all nice things about a city, sure, but it's not a place I would want to be lost in. Thankfully we didn't live in a city.

Elizabeth laughed at my response. I felt almost embarrassed by it, but tried my hardest to not turn tomato red. What was so funny anyway? She saw my reaction to her laughter, which made her laugh more. Now I wasn't embarrassed, I was mad.

I knew she sensed that I was waiting for her explanation of why she was laughing, so she said, "It's funny because when we moved here you said the exact opposite of what you said now. 'I love the city! It's better then a town!'" Her own imitation of me made her laugh more. I was pretty sure the people that were passing us where wondering if she had escaped from the mental hospital. I waited for someone to stop and ask if they could escort her back to the facility, but they just walked on by.

I did my best to ignore her from then on. We walked in the shops, down the streets, and walked back to the car in silence. I would see her lips start to form into a grin every now in then, but not so much of a chuckle came out of her. We got to the car and drove home. It wasn't much of tour, but much like a walk. As we were going home, I thought about what I saw, it wasn't much, but I couldn't change that.

The town was nice and pleasant. There wasn't much noise, every now and then you could hear the laughter of teenager, or adults gossiping about the latest news as you walked by. There were little restaurants on the streets and nice clothing stores as well.

When we got home, and were walking up the graveled path to the house, there was Zachary sitting on the porch. He stood up when he saw us. Again, him and Elizabeth glared at each other for a second before he fully turned toward me.

"Hey what are you doing here?" I asked when Elizabeth went to unlock the front door.

Zachary shrugged and said, "I just thought we could hang out tonight, that's all."

"You couldn't wait for me to call you?" I asked.

"Do you remember my number?" He asked testing me.

I tried my best to think of it but knew I failed and responded with a glare and a simple, "what ever." He laughed and we walked inside the house after Elizabeth.

"So what do you think? About hanging out tonight I mean." I looked over to where Elizabeth was hanging her coat up, she saw the plea in my eyes and her expression softened.

I turned back to Zachary and smiled. "Sure."