Status: Complete

'Safe' Is Not A Word In My Vocabulary

Chapter 12

Quil offered to drive me home again and I thanked him.

Bella’s muttering brought back several bad memories and it was making me sad. That and my chest hadn’t eased up at all, but gotten worse with the passing time, made escaping a relief.

Jacob looked a little disappointed to see me go, and Kim had left around ten thirty. Quil dropped me off out front and all the lights were out.

I walked towards the door and when I opened it I saw K-9 left a note saying they were in the clear and they’d gone home.

I went straight to my room and fell into bed in nothing but a tank top and a pair of shorts. My chest was still in pain and it took a long time for me to fall asleep…and when i finally did, a painful

XxX

I wasn’t sure if I was awake.

I felt like I was, but my eyes refused to open. My body felt heavy, I tried to move my arm, but screamed.

It felt like I was burning from the inside out, that’s the only way I can describe what was happening to me now.

It felt like someone had lit my chest on fire. The horrible burning sensations making me twitch against my bed as I screamed. I realized something was wrong, very wrong.

Nothing ever felt warm to me. Except silver, and even then it was a very different kind of heat.

I screamed again and writhed against the bed in agony. I don’t know how much longer the fire burned on, hour’s maybe, it felt like years, but eventually I felt it dull and then I was falling.

I felt the rush of wind going past me, cooling the fire, and the sensation of gravity forcing me downward. There was a horrible pain in my back and my eyes snapped open to stare at the ceiling.

It wasn’t enough to last though as black spots danced across my eyes, and I slipped into unconsciousness.

Jacob’s POV

I carried Bella to the Rabbit and her sleeping form didn’t seem quite peaceful near my intense body heat. She’d probably prefer her icy boyfriend’s arms instead.

For some reason that thought didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. Probably because I knew I would’ve preferred to have Cent in my arms.

I placed her lightly on the seat and she curled in a ball. “Damien.” She whispered in her sleep and my eyes narrowed into slits.

Who’s he?

I already called her bloodsucker and he was waiting for us at the treaty line. “Bella wake up.” I said shaking her a little. Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up groggily.

“Oh crap!” she muttered, a little more alertly. “What time is it? Dang it where is that stupid phone!” she patted her pockets and I put a hand to restrain her. “Easy, it’s not even midnight yet, and I already called him for you, he’s waiting there, see.” I pointed into the darkness where the leech was pacing.

“Midnight?” she repeated and I nodded. “Wow, sorry about that Jake really.” She muttered and I grinned in the darkness.

“Oh, and thanks for inviting me.” She added quickly. “That was…wow that was something else.”

I chuckled at the awe in her voice “Your welcome, it was…nice, for me, having you there.” She smiled bleakly and there was a bit of teasing in her voice.

“I bet it was nicer having Cent there though.” She said and I turned red.

That reminded me…

“Who’s Damien?” I asked suddenly and Bella’s eyes widened. “Um…why?” she asked and I shrugged. “You muttering about him in your sleep.” I said and she blushed. Weird…

“I was?” she asked and I nodded. “Did Cent hear?” she said quietly and the leech had stopped pacing. His head was cocked to the side and I could see his eyebrows pinched together.

“Yeah, she looked kinda sad when you said it, why?” Bella shook her head slowly. “Im not supposed to talk about him, he was very close to Centhua and it tore her apart when he…” her voice trailed off and it wasn’t hard to guess what had happened to this Damien guy.

“What was he to her?” I asked and Bella shook her head again. “It’s a long story, I’ll tell you later.” She muttered and then opened the door and walked out.

Cullen caught her at the line and I drove away before I could think too much.

XxX

When I got home my dad was waiting up for me.

I started heading to my room when he called me. “A minute, Jacob?” he asked and I grimaced, walking back out into the living room.

“Yeah dad?” I asked and he pointed to the miniature couch. “Sit.” He said and I tried to keep a poker face. I don’t think I fooled him though.

“S’up?” I asked and his poker face was ten times better than mine. “I was talking to Charlie about something interesting today.” He said.

I flushed, imagining what they’d said behind my back.

“Kay…” I started and his eyes bore into me, like they were searching for answers that my voice wouldn’t give.

“He was saying something rather interesting about you and one of the Cullen girls.”

Oh, that.

I glared at him. “That’s not really any of his business.” I said coldly and my father’s mouth twitched. “Maybe not, but don’t you think it’s mine?”

I shrugged halfheartedly. “Maybe,” I allowed. “But there’s not really anything to tell.” He kept the poker face on as he tapped his fingers against the side of his chair. “So, that girl at the bonfire…” he started and I grimaced.

“What about her?” I asked and he looked at me expectantly. “She’s your imprint then?” he asked and I nodded guiltily.

I expected more investigation but he surprised me by muttering an “Hmm” and waving me away. I quickly retreated to my room and fell onto my bed.

For some reason I couldn’t quite name, I didn’t feel right. Like something was wrong. I pushed the bad feeling aside as I fell asleep. Already dreaming.

XxX

I woke up in an unfamiliar forest.

I didn’t know why I was here except that I was looking for something. I got up and started searching, and then running as my search led me into more nothingness.

I was about to scream in frustration when I walked through the undergrowth and into a clearing.

Cent was there, she was wearing the same clothes she wore at the bonfire only with one difference.

They were stained with blood.

She trembled and backed away as I came closer. She mouthed my name and I reached towards her automatically.

She passed right through my arms; like she was only mist. We both stared in shock.

A whimper escaped her mouth, building into a scream as she slipped into the cold ground and disappeared, swallowed up by the earth.

XxX

I sat up abruptly, my throat choking on a scream.

I wanted to run to her, to be certain she was alright.

I wanted to hold her close and never let her go. My arms ached with longing and I angrily threw myself back onto my pillow.

I stared at the walls while I waited for the sun to come up.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short. The next one should make up for it hopefully.