Status: Complete

'Safe' Is Not A Word In My Vocabulary

Chapter 27

Everyone tensed and took their places, Jacob caught my eye and it looked like he grimaced. I ignored him, focusing on the fight that was happening now and the vampires that would approach us shortly. I could practically feel Damien’s anticipation from wherever he was and it made me anxious.

All hell broke loose.

Vampires stalked from nearly every corner, the scent of them burning our noses and tainting our taste buds as we tore into them. I’d easily taken down three while the wolves worked together to take one at a time.

K-9 covered me, snarls ripping from his teeth, no thoughts in his head besides the drive to kill.

I took care of the few surrounding me before racing down to where the Cullen’s had their hands full.

I threw a vampire off of Esme and tore its face off before it could scream.

Emmett caught my eye and grinned, angrily smashing through the army.

There were more than twenty vamps her, possibly fifty in all, but we were holding our own.
Damien stood to the side, his hands twitching as he sat, guarded by Carlisle and Jasper.
Alice danced her way through the show, and I was sure to keep my distance from her, warning K-9 to do the same.

Jasper abandoned Damien to keep the vamps attacking Alice occupied. He got bit before I tore another vampire apart.

I finished it off, tossing it into the fresh fire and running back to the wolves. They were finishing up too, but I saw Leah take off into the woods quietly. I followed her at a few yards away.

A group of maybe three vamps stood at the end of the trail, a girl and two boys. The boys lunged automatically but Leah was fast. I took one out while she chased the other. Jacob joined our group, but I was too occupied to notice. He ran after Leah, snarling, but not at the vampire.

The vampire changed course. He turned and lunged for Leah...but Jacob threw himself in the way first.

There was a snapping sound.

The vamp got his arms around him a second before Leah knocked him off and tore into him. She was wincing though, and I knew she was in Jacob’s head.

He howled and fell to the ground, still a wolf.

I froze in horror and he whimpered, pawing at the ground with his good leg. The she-vampire snarled, and I looked away. She turned and ran once she had my attention, as if she was expecting me to follow.

I froze for a second, all the actions around me moving in slow motion. My gaze dropped to Jacob’s limp form where he gave me a desperate look.

He was begging for me, his gaze enticing me to stay with him, but he’d hurt me too much.

In that second, something in me snapped. I jerked my head from him and ran after the vampire.

He howled after me.

XxX

I phased to a human as soon as I was under cover. K-9 was protesting this and I didn’t want him following me so easily. I could still clearly hear Jacob’s howls of pain but whether they were because of me, or his injuries, I wasn’t sure.

I followed the girl, wondering if this was a trap, but also not caring.

I reached a small opening in the trees and tensed. She was there, sitting cross legged on the ground perfectly relaxed. I snarled and she stood, holding up her hands in surrender. She could’ve been no more than fifteen, if that.

“Relax, Were, Im here to talk.” She said calmly, I didn’t relax and she sighed.

“Look, this isn’t any easier for you than it is for me, so just hear me out?” she hedged. When I didn’t respond she continued.

“My name is Bree Tanner, not that you care but you should know that Im only her as Jedediah’s…messenger. Once I deliver it, Im gone.” I gave her a hard glare, but listened to her words nonetheless, slinking closer unknowingly.

“He’s very put out with you, you know, for being the last of your kind, the other leader of the anti-wolf party have moved on. They don’t think you’re worth it, and since you’re bound to die sometime, and you can’t reproduce with humans, they believe you should be left alone.”
Her voice had taken on a disgusted tone and I refused to relax. I knew she had seen the other wolves, and I wasn’t letting them be hunted too.

“He’s a stubborn old mule, he won’t give in no matter what they say; he claims that as long as one lobisomem, is alive that we will never be safe.” I flinched at the Portuguese word for what I am, not having heard it in so long.

She didn’t say it like an insult as ‘Jed’ must have, but her voice took on a slightly awed tone to it.

“You don’t agree with him do you,” the words toppled out before I thought them through and I did something surprising.

I let my guard down.

She shook her pale head, sandy brown hair, the color of Seth’s fur twisted in the wind. It didn’t look menacing, at all.

“I never wanted this life,” a whisper, almost to herself.

“I don’t like the thirst, or the strength, or the looks.” She had that disgusted tone again. “The speed is okay, but I don’t want to kill people.” Her voice broke.

I believed her, I didn’t know why but I did.

“So what, are you going to end it then, cause’ if we want I can chase you back down there.” I jerked my thumb towards where the fight had just barely ended and she smiled blearily.
“No, I don’t want to die; I just want to live without the murders.” I realized she was crying, tearlessly of course but still.

I sighed deeply.

I wondered why I trusted her, and if it was a trick, but for some reason it was almost like I could smell her honesty.

“How do I know?” I asked and she whimpered, fear starting in her eyes. “You don’t,” she whispered fearfully. I relaxed this time, while she tensed.

I blurted without thinking again.

“What if I told you that you could?” I asked and she froze before loosening some.

“I’d say you are officially my best friend and I’d respond by telling you Jedediah wants to fight you; may the best species win.” I froze where I was and she grimaced, tensing again.
“That was the message, wasn’t it?” I whispered, but it didn’t sound like a question.
She nodded.

“He wants to fight you on your own soil, more appropriate, he thinks, but I think he’s a drama queen.”

I lurched forward and pinned her to a tree. She screamed in surprise but didn’t fight back.

“You should’ve said that first,” I hissed before snapping at her neck. She let her eyes widen before she pushed me off, not hard enough to do any real damage.

She ran and I chased her.

XxX

About twelve miles away I tackled her and she screamed.

“Fight back!” I snarled throwing her into a tree. She flew into it, crashing and getting her hair a tangled mess, but she didn’t fight.

She didn’t run either, but sat trembling on the ground in front of me.

I ran forward my hands reached out to tear out her throat when she screamed again and closed her eyes.

I paused an inch from her face.

She opened her crying, tearless eyes and I saw the face of a child.

A scared innocent child brought up in a world she didn’t belong in. She reminded me of Claire, having to grow up before her time.

“Im sorry,” I whispered kneeling by her. She cried loud sobs racking her body. She wiped angrily at her dry eyes and blubbered. “Why?” I stroked her hair and wasn’t surprised she flinched.

“It was a test sweetie, I can’t take any chances and I had to be sure you weren’t lying to me.”
She froze in shock, understanding washing through her features.

“I wasn’t lying to you,” she whispered, I smiled to show it was okay.

“I know that now.” I whispered.

She gave me the weirdest look ever and I grinned.

“So, official best friend,” I said conversationally. “Want to meet my brother?”

XxX

“I can’t believe she’s not last werewolf.” Bree said in wonder. Damien grinned at her, grimacing at the same time.

We’d met up with him at home about a minute ago while Bree explained our situation. I expected more people to be here, but apparently they were all at Jacob’s.

I wanted to see him, but we were losing daylight.

“So Jed wants to fight Cent, and all the other vamps have given up, am I getting this right?” he asked Bree nodded.

Damien turned to me, “This could be a trap Cent,” he warned and Bree glared, it was the scariest expression I’d seen on her since meeting.

“Are you calling me a liar?” she snarled and he glared back. “Yes, yes I am.” She looked about ready to snap and I stepped between them.

“Easy you too, and yeah I know it could be a trap, but don’t you think it’s worth a try, if we can end this?” he growled, but not at Bree and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Maybe,” he aloud.

“But I don’t like surprises.” He finished and I grinned.

“It doesn’t matter, I don’t plan on going alone, and If they surprise us, we have a few surprises of our own.”

I took my hand and stuck it through the door frame, pulling it back out. Damien widened his eyes and a grin broke across his face.

“Okay, now, Im in.” he hissed. Bree glared at him, but looked at me gratefully.

“Me too, he’s going to pay for taking my life.” Her eyes started to glow a fierce shade of red and I knew there’d be no use in arguing with her. I didn’t know if I would’ve anyways.

XxX

It was set.

We were going to our home soil to fight for our lives, not knowing if we’d come back or not.

I was ready to end this.

But there were two trips I had to make first, the first to Jacob.

I knew the Jacob trip would be the shorter one, so I decided to just pop in. Everyone stared when I ran up to his house, Billy especially.

I hadn’t officially met him yet, but he seemed to know who I was.

“Jacob’s been asking for you,” he said, seeming disapproving somehow. Sam put a reassuring hand on his shoulder and looked at me with an unreadable expression.

I ignored that and grinned apologetically at him. Sam’s expression cracked at the sight and he grimaced.

I ignored that too and walked in.

I didn’t meet anyone’s eyes as I walked down the hall. The sound of my bare feet scraping somewhat across the tiled floor was soothing. The front room was mostly kitchen, with a hallway off to the side where soft snoring came from.

I opened the door silently and shut it behind me.

I stole closer to the bed, my eyes widening at the image in front of me.

Jacob’s face was covered in a thin sheen of sweat, the right half of his body encased in thick, temporary plastic. His expression was pained, for even in sleep he wasn’t peaceful.

I wondered if I was the cause of that, like I thought I was for the howling and I grimaced.

Silently still, I sat and the floor by his bed. My face aligned with his where it rested on the pillow. He was scarring to look at, knowing how much hell he’d put me through, and how much I’d given back to him.

He stirred in his sleep, and opened his bloodshot eyes.

Jacob’s POV

She left me.

She saw me begging her to stay and she left. I fell limply to the ground, ignoring the shouts in my head. They were asking stupid questions. They wanted to know if I was alright. But I wasn’t.

Cent left, again, and that’s all that really mattered. The mangling of my body was nothing compared to being abandoned by your imprint. I barely noticed the pack hovering over me, or the icy hands of Carlisle checking my vitals.

Eventually voices tried to coax me back to my human form, and I obeyed. I let Quil and Embry help me get dressed through the pain and they helped me stand.

I passed out when they got me in bed, ignoring Charlie’s frantic screaming and my dad’s looks of pain and pity.

None of it mattered.

The doc gave me meds and I think he overdid it, I wanted to stay awake, to see Cent, but it was a wasted effort. It didn’t work and I passed out anyways. She didn’t come.

It had been hourse, but it felt more like years as I forced myself out of conciousness several times, hoping to wake up to my imprint.

I woke up again, to talk to Bella, she’s marrying the leech now, as if I wasn’t pissed enough, but soon enough she left too. And I still wanted to see Cent.

I felt guilty for my stupid suicide threat, but I’d needed her at the time. I needed her now, but I was drugged again and I couldn’t stay awake.

I passed out and dreamed of her, of our night.

It was painful, even though the memories were some of my best. I hated knowing I’d messed up; even in sleep I’d known that.

I recoiled from the memories, my head shifting some on my bed and my eyes opening groggily. The first thing I noticed was the smell, instead of the overpowering stench of vampire, it smelled like Centhua.

I knew that scent anywhere, like berries and vanilla and roses, soft and floral and completely unique.

I tried to make my bleary eyes focus on her face and I finally managed.

Her lips were pressed together, her expression sad and unreadable, her eyes had streaks of silver and yellow running through them. Combined with her short hair and tense form, it made her look dangerous.

But not to me.

“Cent,” I whispered, my voice was dry and thick with sleep. She sighed and inched closer to me. The silence was awkward, and I felt it I broke it I’d make it worse.

I broke it anyways.

“You left,” I accused, hurt washing through me. She didn’t meet my eyes, but stared at my brace, not seeing it. “I had to,” she said quietly. I flinched at the sound of her voice.

I needed her.

“Cent,” I whispered, she raised her head but didn’t meet my eyes.

“Centhua look at me,” I whispered, reaching with my good arm to cup her face. She curled closer to me without realizing it, finally being forced to look at me.

There was guilt on her face, written as clear as ink on paper. My pulse jumped as I contemplated the meaning.

“Im sorry,” she whispered getting up. I grabbed desperately at her wrist, my heart snapping and reshaping, breaking nearly beyond repair.

“Don’t…” I started “Don’t leave.” I begged.

She froze for a second before kneeling beside me again.

She stroked my face and ran her opposite hand through my hair. I wanted to apologize for that stupid move I made last night.

“Centhua, you shouldn’t be sorry, it’s my fault, Im so sor-” her fingers went to my lips mashing against them in an attempt to stop me.

“Shh,” she cautioned. “Don’t apologize, it doesn’t matter now.” She whispered.
Oh, so she could apologize but I couldn’t.

Why did this feel like a goodbye?

Centhua’s POV

“Are you going somewhere?” he whispered, his voice breaking once. He coughed to clear his throat.

I nodded guiltily.

“Something came up, I’ll be gone, a few days at most,” I lied lightly, refusing to have him worried about me.

His face fell though and he frowned deeply. I kissed him lightly and stood up to leave.

I recently decided that I was going to forgive him.

My life is too short to spend holding grudges.

“I love you.” Jacob whispered from the bed. I felt a huge pain in my heart at how much I wanted to say it back.

But I couldn’t say it back, if I didn’t come home, it’d kill him, and me too.

“Bye Jake,” I whispered hoarsely. I couldn’t turn around.

I wanted too.

I wanted to stay there and never leave him, but there were some things I had to do first.

Loose ends to tie up.

For one, I had to make my next trip, and see Carlisle.

XxX

I was sitting in the hospital at nearly eight pm, waiting on results that could possibly change my life.

But not my decision though, even if my prediction was correct, it wouldn’t change anything. I’d still fight the Cross Fire; I’d just be a bit more careful about it.

“What’s the diagnosis doc?” I said once Carlisle came back. He looked confused, and strangely pleased, but mostly confused.

“Well, it seems your accusations were correct.” He said smiling at the end.

He handed a sealed envelope to me and I felt my eyes widen.

“Congratulations to you and Jacob both,” he added pleasantly. I stared at the envelope, unthinkingly.

My hand automatically dropped down to my stomach, where our child was growing.

My mind traveled back to that night where Jacob had marked me as his. Now, it appears he’s going to have something to show for it.