Status: Complete

'Safe' Is Not A Word In My Vocabulary

Chapter 37

Centhua’s POV

Please be okay...Please be okay…Please…

It was the day of the fight.

Don’t ask me how I knew, but I did. The girls could sense it also. There was tension in the air, and even Claire was silent.

To say I was worried would be putting it mildly. I was completely insane. I had been sitting on the couch in the hotel, then I would get up and pace, unable to sit still for even a few moments.

Jacob was my main concern, if he didn’t make it, everything else was meaningless.

I expected to feel it when he died…if he died, there would be a crack in my heart. And I would feel it somehow.

Maybe Im being melodramatic, but I needed a distraction.

I tried going to the beach yesterday to keep myself occupied, and it worked for a time, but there was only so much sun and happiness I could handle.

I was stuck waiting again.

Jacob’s POV

We stood in a line, my muscles tense and my fur on edge.

Whatever happened today, I might never see Cent again. I might never see my son at all.

These werent concious thoughts, but there were still there, the doubt etched into my mind. The guys were all in tune with me. It was weird, I’d never understood how they felt before, and I never imagined myself hurting like this.

More importantly, I never imagined Paul in tune too. My sister had really brought out a soft spot in him, one I hadnt seen past his hard brovado and cockiness.

The vamps stirred and I focused on what was happening now.

XxX

They tried everything they could think of.

They accused the Cullens of whatever came to mind, trying for Renesmee, and eventually resorting to pointing fingers at us wolves.

I thanked my lucky stars that Cent wasn’t there for that.

Eventually, they had nothing, and left with a wounded ego and no evidence. Little Alice Cullen can be thanked for that, she brought that half breed boy over, saving us all.

Cheers errupted as the dark cloaks retreated into the mist and it took a second for me to comprehend the shouting voices in my head and realize we won.

A howl ripped from my throat at the same time it did Quil, Seth, Paul, Jared, and Sam’s.

I licked Alice on her pixie face and trotted around the clearing in happiness. K-9 and Leah nuzzled necks and licked each other, while Damien, Ammo, and Crusher all tackled me and playfully nipped each other.

Bella laughed and snatched her baby from Seth, crushing her to her chest and kissing Edward.

I smiled at them and rushed into the woods to phase back so I could ask Bella where Cent was.

Centhua’s POV

The hotel phone rang, long and shrill and my heart sank into my stomach as I went to answer it. It was a Washington number. I knew it was. The girls all held their breaths and I let mine out in a gust pressing ‘talk’.

“Hello?” I asked shakily.

“Cent,” Jacob breathed on the other line.

I almost dropped it and I could hear him chuckle.

“Jacob?” I whispered the girls crowded, Claire watching a Spanish version of Elmo and me gripping the phone so tight my hand throbbed.

“It’s over Cent, they left without a fight, Alice came back.” I smiled into the phone, thinking about how I was right. Again.

“Everybody’s fine, you guys can come home.” Jacob assured so I could practically feel his happiness through the phone. I knew the rest of the wolves were standing nearby and the girls did too.

“Put the other guys on!” Kim sang happily at that news.

I laughed and handed her the phone. “Jacob, yeah it’s Kim, tell Jared to- oh JARED!” she squealed. I laughed and tears of joy and relieved pain spilled from my eyes.

My hands patted my large stomach and I cried a little more. The girls each took their turn on the phone and then it was my turn again,

“Jacob?” I asked.

“Yeah?”

“I love you,” I said smugly.

He chuckled and added “I love you too, come home and I’ll prove it.” His voice was hoarse and I smiled. “I’ll be there, bye Jake.”

“Bye Cent, love you.”

I hung up and Rachel hugged me, she was crying too, and Claire was giggling. I hugged them both. Jacob was okay, he was alive and he was waiting for me.

“Let’s go home,” I said to the girls, who were, not surprisingly, already packing.

I never was so happy to leave.

XxX

I walked out of the terminal holding Claire's tiny hand while Kim and Emily walked ahead. Rachel stood beside me, talking happily until we stepped out. We spotted them quickly.

In a second, Kim was in Jared’s arms, launching herself at him and kissing him everywhere she could reach. Emily was the same way, Sam closing the space between them in two long strides.

Quil took Claire from me, but I barely noticed.

Jacob was smiling at me, his face changed drastically since the last time I’d seen him nearly two months ago, emotionally anyways.

“Centhua,” he breathed, and the next second I was in his arms, his lips on mine with my oversized stomach in between us.

“Jacob,” I sighed pulling away only to become lost in the kiss once again.

“I missed you,” he said sadly, I smiled and kissed his nose. He kissed my lips, his eyes shining and mouth pulled up at the corners,"I love you," he mumbled in between kisses.

I wasn’t aware of the other people in the airport at all. Not Kim, or Emily or Claire or Rachel, or Paul.

Just him.

“I love you too.” I whispered.

He smiled and kissed me again.