Status: Complete

'Safe' Is Not A Word In My Vocabulary

Chapter 8

“Let’s take a break, Im starving.” Kim said. I nodded my agreement. So far we’d tramped through over half the mall and stopped in over 12 stores. I only had two shopping bags though.

Kim’s style was a little more preppy than I like, but she definitely has great opinions on music. I got about five new CD’s, three t-shirts and a pair of dangle earrings.

I never thought I’d actually enjoy myself in a mall.

“What’cha hungry for?” I asked and she laughed “Anything that’s not alive.” She said, laughing again while pointing towards a sushi restaurant that had a few live octopus swimming in a tank. I laughed and grinned at her. “Don’t knock it till you try it.” I said as we walked past.

“You’ve eaten octopus before?” she asked skeptically and I grimaced. “Yeah, long story, I lost a bet.” I grinned again and she laughed.

Eventually, we settled on having burgers in some 80s themed restaurant with platinum records and pictures of Elvis everywhere. We talked through lunch and we were about to leave when Kim said something that made my muscles tense.

“I think Jacob has a crush on you.” She said matter of factly, making me choke on my smoothie.

“What makes you say that?” I mumbled feeling myself turn red.

Wow, blushing, that’s new.

“Uh hello,” she said rolling her eyes, “It’s pretty obvious with the way he looks at you.” I felt a sigh leave my lips before I could stop it.

She waited for me to speak, smiling. “Look,” I said finally, awkwardly “I don’t really think I should be talking about that right now.” I mumbled and I could practically feel her surprise, her smile disappeared and she cocked her head to the side. “Why?” she asked, not like she was curious, or like she was looking for gossip, but like she actually cared.

“It’s just…I can’t explain it right, but...it’d be better if I didn’t.” I looked awkwardly at my hands and she smiled understandingly. “I’m always here.” She offered and I smiled. I knew she would be.

“So how’d you and Jared get together?” I asked to change the subject. She laughed and started telling me about how she had a crush on him for a year and he never noticed her, then one day out of nowhere, he asked her out. I laughed when she told me about how she put their names together in her diary. She laughed too. We walked out of the restaurant and continued our shopping spree.

Only a few minutes later we were in hot topic. Kim made a face at all the dark colors and I chuckled. “It’s my turn to pick,” I reminded her and she made a face that I grinned at.

I picked out a few dark red and black shirts that looked amazing on her and I could tell she was starting to loosen up about the whole prep color thing.

“Wow.” She said as she eyed herself in the full length mirror. I smiled and nodded my approval.

She was in a black showy tank top with a faded wolf in the corner. Her legs were complimented by ankle boots and she had a black leather mini skirt.

In all, she looked like a different person.

“You should get those,” I said, referring to the top and shirt. She smiled and stated walking towards the dressing room again, “You know, I think I will.” she said.

She purchased her stuff and we walked out of the store, only to be greeted by trouble...

K-9 and Crusher were in the middle of a loud argument, there was a lot of shoving and swearing.

At least they hadn’t stabbed anyone. Yet.

Bones and Ammo had obviously taken sides since Ammo stood behind Crusher but Bones stood behind K-9 like they were there for backup.

I growled under my breath and Kim watched the scene with wide eyes. She tried to walk the other direction but I stopped her.

“Wait a second ok?” I whispered feverishly while she stared at me with wide eyes. “Are you crazy?” she hissed, seeing my intentions.

Hmm, probably, but that’s beside the point. “Yes.” I muttered and started walking towards them. There was a security officer who had also started making his way over but I beat him there.

I approached them and they both stopped to look at me apologetically.

“Can’t you boys go one day without having a confrontation?” I teased but my eyes flashed towards the security officer and I raised an eyebrow.

Crusher looked at him too before turning to me “Since when do you hang out in malls?” he countered crossed his arms at the same time the rest of them did. Normally, I would’ve laughed but instead, today I just grimaced. “I have to do something to pass the time, which reminds me by the way, you can’t race if you get arrested for disturbing the peace.” I responded nodding to K-9. Crushers smirk turned into a smile, which was rare for him.

“Sorry babe.” He apologized, his smile genuine.

It vanished quickly though as he turned to glare at K-9.

“We’ll talk about this at home.” He said seriously and he and Ammo turned to leave. The security officer was talking to Kim and I refused to meet her panicked eyes.

“Either of you wanna tell me what that was about?” I asked with an expectant look.

“Later” K-9 muttered and I sighed. “If he tries to kill you, call me, I’ll set him straight.” I said, only half joking, K-9 laughed and Bones smiled too.

I gave K-9 a hug and he surprised me by fastening his arms around me and kissing me swiftly on the mouth.

I raised an eyebrow but before I could say anything he grinned and turned around quickly while Bones stared with wide eyes. Then he got himself together and he turned too. I rolled my eyes and skipped to Kim’s side.

Bones didn’t know K-9 as well as I did because he was the gang’s newest member. I knew K-9 wasn’t serious; he was playing things up for the audience.

He’s such a drama queen.

I skipped back to Kim and the security officer straightened up. He started warning me to keep my boyfriend from loitering blah blah blah…I tuned most of it out and kept nodding, irritated. Eventually he turned to leave and I looked at Kim apologetically.

“Sorry about that.” I said sheepishly and she gave me the same look the guys had when I was speaking Spanish.

“Who were they?” she gasped while we started walking towards her car.

I sighed “K-9, Crusher, Ammo, and Bones, they’re friends of mine.” She gave me and odd look and I wished she would drop it.

“You kiss all your friends?” she asked and I laughed. “No, K-9’s just a big clown; he messes with me like that all the time.” She raised an eyebrow.

“You see them a lot?” she asked and I grimaced, embarrassed while getting in her car. It was almost seven, the sun, buried behind the clouds, hadn’t set yet. “Sure,” I answered simply.

She didn’t respond but looked out the window.

“Is there something wrong with that?” I asked and she laughed.

“Not for me, I just wonder how Jacob will handle the competition.” She teased and I turned red again “I thought we weren’t going to talk about that.” I muttered, she smiled before turning thoughtful.

“Is there a competition?” she asked and I shook my head quickly. “No!” I squeaked, she smirked, obviously pleased by my answer.