‹ Prequel: Welcome to the Family
Status: In progress....

Family Ties

Hallucinations

We travelled through most of the night stopping once to hunt, being new vegetarians Oliver and I found that we got hungrier faster and needed to hunt more frequently. Well that’s what I hoped it was.

Carlisle had once told me that he noticed that the urge to ‘hunt’ was not only unavoidable for a vampire but it was also very animalistic, the need to kill to survive was a trait seen in predators in the animal kingdom. My only concern now was if I found I needed to hunt more, does that make me more of an animal?

“We’ll stop here” Oliver announced as he slowed to a walk,

“Why?” I asked, “Do you need to hunt again?”

“No” He replied, turning to face me,

“How far away is the Lake?” I asked,

“About a full days run” He answered,

“Then why are we stopping?” I asked, as I looked around at the clearing he’d led us to. It was oval in shape covered in long blades of yellowish wild grass and spindly pale flowers. It was surrounded with tall fern trees.

“I need to ask you something” he replied,

I silently pressed the question indication with my eyes for him to go on.

“On the night of the ball” He continued,

“I don’t want to talk about it” I cut him off, my jaw tightening into a frown, eyes hardening.

“Abby” he forced, “I need to know”

“Know what you saw everything that happened, why do you want me to repeat anything?”

“Because I saw you take out the most powerful vampire organisation in a matter of seconds” he growled, “How am I supposed to feel safe around you knowing you can destroy me?”

I opened my mouth in shock and took a few steps towards him, placing a hand on his cheek, the palm of my hand moulding to his strong jaw bone while the tips of my fingers were tickled by his soft dark hair.

“I would never hurt you” I spoke earnestly, “You have saved me in ways you’ll never understand, I owe you so much”

“What have I done for you?” he asked honest confusion in his eyes.

“You rescued me from hell” I answered,

“You rescued yourself” He shook his head,

“And you gave me company” I added, once again there was confusion in his eyes, “You see, you and I are the same. We were animals but we have fought it and now we are stronger”

“What happened in the main hall?” He asked,

“I just remember anger” I frowned, “And betrayal, and sadness… a deep piercing sadness” … “Carlisle once told me that he remains true to vegetarianism but controlling the animal within him… I think I control my power by controlling my feelings”

“That seems logical” he nodded, as he moved closer to me.

Once again the pounding began in the back of my mind telling me to run away, to get as far away from him as I could. But to feel something again I pushed further towards him, letting his cool breath roll off of my face. He rested his forehead against mine.

“Do you feel it?” He asked,

“I feel everything when I’m with you” I whispered hoarsely,

“Did you feel this with Alec?” he asked, my body automatically stiffened at the mention of his name. Oliver felt my change in body language and raised his hands to either side of my cheeks relaxing my body as his hard fingers brushed against my skin.

“No” I answered honestly,

“Do you love Alec?” He asked,

My eyes scrunched closed as I let myself lean into Oliver’s chest my head resting in the crook of his neck. I wished to let the word ‘no’ pass from my lips, I had spent every waking moment since the ball convincing myself that I didn’t love him, that I never needed him, that it didn’t hurt that he wasn’t here, that I wasn’t empty when I wasn’t around him… But I was all of those things. The only strange thing was Oliver made me feel alive; he made me feel like I had a purpose. Running with him gave me something to aim towards, something to be.

“No” I choked out, struggling with the basic word. Oliver sensed my pain and wrapped his arms around my waste; I needed to be held right now. I craved for anything to hold me, to make me feel like I had a purpose for that person.

Suddenly Oliver’s body changed, and his lungs expanded more as he took in a large drift of air.

“We should not have stopped here” He realised,

I pulled away from him and inhaled the air, picking up the immediate stench of dog.

“We can run” I stated immediately.

“They’re too close” He shook his head, quickly grabbing my shoulders, “But you can run, I can hold them off for long enough, it doesn’t smell like a pack”

“I won’t leave you” I growled stubbornly,

“I’m not giving you a choice” he snapped,

“Neither am I” I shouted back. My head snapping towards the other side of the clearing, “It’s too late anyway” I stated. Oliver followed my gaze to the other end of the clearing.

Seconds later a large grey wolf came leaping into the clearing snarling in out direction. I gasped at the size of the beast it was bigger than any of the wolves near the Cullens; one of this wolf’s legs was at least the size of me. While it’s teeth were as big as my forearm.

“You can still run” Oliver glowered at the wolf, pulling me behind him. We were lucky the wolf seemed to be alone.

I ignored Oliver and focused on the wolf’s mind, willing myself to here his thoughts. Once again I felt the ripple of change shock through my body and suddenly Oliver and the wolf’s thought exploded into my mind. I flinched away slightly not used to the noise before shutting Oliver out and focussing on the wolf.

“Now it’s my turn to play a little trick Ollie” I heard the wolf chuckle, confusing me even further,

“Oliver the wolf knows you” I stated,

“What?” He asked, shocked,

“I read its mind… it knows your name” I explained,

“Wait a minuet” Oliver stood up fully, letting go of me. I took my chance and slipped out from behind him.

“Give it up Nic” A beautiful curly, brown haired vampire spoke as she leapt into the clearing, an obvious Spanish accent in her voice. She must have been at least 30 when she was changed, yet her model like features had been preserved thanks to the curse of eternal life. “He knows”

“Mariella” Oliver nodded with a sly smiled,

Yet my attention was drawn to the large wolf that began to shimmer, its coat disappearing in a misty wave slowly revealing a white haired vampire similar age to Mariella. Yet his hair didn’t suit his young face.

“Nicolo” Oliver nodded in greeting.

“How did you know?” Nicolo pouted, “Mariella covered the scent and everything”

“I’d like to introduce you both to Abby” Oliver answered,

“Hola” Mariella nodded,

“Hi” Nicolo grinned,

“Nice pick Ollie” He thought to himself, I raised an eyebrow in his direction, confusion the Spanish vampire,

“She can read minds” Oliver continued, I looked at him slightly confused that he didn’t state me true power, but I guessed he had a reason for it.

“Oh damn” Oliver realised, “Sorry” he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly

“All’s forgiven” I smirked,

“I don’t want to know” Mariella rolled her eyes.

“That’s probably for the best” Oliver agreed, “Abby, this is Nicolo and Mariella” Oliver introduced us officially.

“I gathered” I smiled, “So you can transform into a wolf?” I asked Nicolo sceptically.

“Oh yeah” He grinned,

“Although, I don’t remember you being able to change your scent?” Oliver asked,

“No, that was Mariella”

“I can affect the senses” She informed me.

“Nice” I nodded,

“Thanks to Oliver anyway” She added,

“How?” I asked,

“He gave us our powers” Nicolo answered,

“And they’ve helped us get out of some tricky situations since then”

“It was the least I could do” Oliver shrugged it off. “You guys helped set me straight”

“So Ollie” Nicolo grinned, “We hear you’re in trouble again”

“You have no idea” Oliver breathed, looking at me as he did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't worry people, I know some of you miss the Cullens', they will be back I promise : D
X