Another Memory

Ten

Alison’s P.O.V.:

Ohh god, he was perfect. I averted my eyes back to the TV yet again, cursing myself for having let them wonder.

“Mum, are you sure you did all my washing the other day!?” he called out through the house, though no reply was heard. “Mum!?”

“How old are you, 3!? Do your own goddamn washing and shut the fuck up! We’re trying to watch a movie!” Gerard scowled and gave the back of Mikey’s head the finger, to which I couldn’t help but to laugh at. “What?”

“Ohh, nothing,” I said softly, composing myself. My eyes again wandered from the TV screen to Gerard’s bare chest, his long wet hair dripping water all about the place. It seemed all his clothes had been washed but his shirts, though I didn’t understand why he was complaining. It was a warm enough day to go around shirtless, surely, and he had nothing to be ashamed of by doing so. I hadn’t realised he’d caught me staring until he cocked his head to the side before looking away quite abruptly once my gaze met his face. He turned and headed back to his room and I sighed, having not meant to offend him as I appeared to have done.

Frank and a few others I recognised from that night the previous weekend where we’d played murder in the dark had finally arrived at Mikey’s with movies, popcorn, and loads of cola. I studied the covers of the movies they’d brought over and cringed, realising I’d be in for a sleepless night.

“Ohh holy fuck!” I ducked beneath the blanket Mikey had thrown me earlier, laughter erupting around me.

“It's only a zombie, Alison. Gees...”

“Fuck you lot! This is scary!” I'd had just about enough of everyone poking fun at me. Horror movies were just not my thing.

“Well then don't watch it.” I wished I was brave enough to walk home, but it was beginning to get dark. Mikey told me I could stay the night and I very much intended to take up that offer. I was supposed to be sleeping on the couch but Frank was sat there with his girlfriend and didn't look to be moving any time soon, much to my discontent. The blood of another victim splattered across the screen and that was it; I was out.

“Right. Let me know when it's over so I can go to bed, guys.” A mumbled 'yeah' came from behind me as I made my way to the kitchen, standing there alone for just a moment. I could hear Gerard's music sounding softly from the direction of his room, so figured he'd probably still be awake. I didn't know the time.

“Gerard?” I knocked once, then again, and on the third an incoherent mumble came from within. The music had stopped, though I couldn’t be sure as to when. I opened the door with caution, knowing how dark and messy his room was, and gently closed it behind me. “Gerard, are you awake?”

“Well I am now.” I caught his bitter tone.

“Ohh...I'm sorry. I can go–”

“No, stay. I won't get back to sleep.” I waited for him to speak again, not knowing what to say. “So, what brings you here?”

“I uhh...can't sleep.”

“Well I know that feeling...”

“I mean because Frank's sitting where I'm sleeping tonight and they're all still watching gore.”

“Ohh.”

“Can I stay here for a while? Just until the movie’s over?” Gerard nodded, rubbing his eyes and the hair from his face.

“I can put the TV on if you want?” I nodded, taking a seat on the end of his bed. It was only then that I realised he still hadn't a shirt on, and I felt my cheeks flush as he realised that too. “Sorry.” I pretended to shrug it off.

“It's your room.” The TV came to life and an old film was playing which although was not exactly desirable, it was much better than the gore fest above us. We were both silent for a while whilst we watched pretty girls with their hair all done up dance about the place, but it wasn't too uncomfortable. Gerard kept running his hands through his hair beside me, and I kept trying not to notice. It was working quite well until he cleared his throat beside me and I forced myself to face him, worried by the look on his face.

“So, uhh, I saw you like...looking at me earlier...”

“I look at a lot of people, Gerard.”

“I think you know what I'm referring to...”

“No, care to elaborate?” I did in fact know what he was referring to, though wasn't exactly dying to admit I found him attractive.

“Never mind.” His eyes flickered back to the TV as did mine, but not for all that long. “So, did you have fun playing murder in the dark last week? I was almost bowled over by someone on my way out of my room...”

“It was pretty fun, actually. I haven't played it since I was a kid.”

“Mmm.” I wondered why Gerard had brought it up if he didn't seem to wanna talk about it. Then I remembered something.

“Actually, it was a little odd...something happened...” Perhaps he'd know who had kissed me. He ought to know his neighbours and Frank's friends at least a little more than I did.

“Ohh?”

“Someone kissed me.”

“You don't know who it was?” I shook my head and looked down, picking at my fingernails.

“It was sorta quick. I mean, I can only remember the smell...”

“The smell?” Gerard looked down too.

“Yeah. Like cigarettes and coffee. And the rain.”

“Ohh...”

“Mmm...” Again, the TV caught our eyes. “How long can a movie go for,” I muttered.

“I can change the channel...”

“I meant Mikey and that. I'm kinda getting tired.”

“You can sleep here again if you wish.”

“Ohh, that'd be good. Thanks.” Gerard moved over a little as I got up to turn out the light, the glow from the TV illuminating Gerard's face to reveal a beauty that none other possessed. He turned it off and darkness enveloped the room, leaving me to trip over as I felt my way back to his bed.

“You okay?”

“I almost broke my face on your floor but I’m okay.” I heard him giggle.

“Would be a shame to break something so beautiful. Like a snowflake.” I smiled as I realised he'd called me beautiful, crawling beneath the blankets as he lifted them up for me.

“Goodnight Gerard.”

“Night, love.” I fell asleep with his hair tickling my neck, the smile never leaving my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to Selling dreams, OnceUponANitemare, and Evil_Angel for the comments :)