Another Memory

Sixteen

Alison’s P.O.V.:

I felt like an alien as I entered the Way’s household for the first time in weeks, everyone’s eyes on my frame now. I’d missed the last few movie nights due to having far too much homework to do, and so I guess it was just a surprise to see me there.

“Hey, love.” Gerard greeted me first, his eyes now the only ones still on mine.

“Uhh, hey. So what are we watching tonight?” I sat myself between Mikey and Frank, happy to see that their girlfriends were far too tired to bitch tonight.

“Just random shit, really. A bit of this and a bit of that…”

“We brought some movies with us,” Lisa said, “so you know they’re not all gonna suck.” Frank punched her lightly in the arm.

“By that she means they brought some shitty romantic comedies along, and apparently that’s what’s up next.”

“You might enjoy it Frank, God forbid!” He poked his tongue out at her and I smiled. The mood was just right for a lazy Friday night.

We were half was through Lisa’s choice of movie and no one was paying much attention any more. I took this as an okay to speak, then.

“Hey guys, I need someone to help me learn the dance for the prom.” Mikey smiled wide and his eyes lit up. I hadn’t told him yet that I’d made up my mind on going.

“It’s not that hard,” Christie snapped, taking Mikey’s hand from beside where she sat on the couch. “If you’d been to the lessons after school you’d know it.”

“Well I didn’t know I was going to go, and now I do. So, I need to learn it. Mikey?”

“Ohh no way, I’m not dancing on public display like that missy.”

“Frank?” Okay, so I was desperate.

“I don’t know it.” The daggers Lisa gave him were priceless.

“Well you’d better learn it!” she screeched, pushing his side. I laughed at the face he threw my way.

“Hey Gerard, didn’t you have to learn the same one? The one that does that twirly thing at the end?” Mikey asked, and Gerard sighed.

“Yeah, I was pretty good at it, actually. Well at least Carla said so.” Mikey scoffed.

“That girl would have told you you were good at anything,” he said, and Frank agreed.

“She wasn’t that bad…and I was too quite good at it!”

“Great, then you teach Alison.” Well, he’d walked right into that one. He sighed once more before getting up and then dragging me up with him, taking us to a spot in the lounge room that was clear from obstacles like coffee tables and TVs.

“Right, so basically, all you have to do is follow the guy’s lead.” He grabbed my hand and placed it on his shoulder and then the other one around his waist, and I felt the blush creep onto my cheeks. “Try not to step on my feet,” he joked, a hint of a smirk in his smile. I wasn’t remembering any of the moves, but it was pretty easy to just follow his lead and as he said, not step on his feet. I could feel the eyes on us as we danced, wishing now that we’d done it in a private place. I didn’t like to be watched like that. We went over it a few times before Gerard excused himself and I sat between Mikey and Frank once again.

“You look lovely when you dance,” Frank commented. “Especially with him.” I wasn’t all that sure what he’d meant by that. “Who are you going with?”

“Well…I’m not sure yet.”

“Why don’t you ask Gerard?” he whispered to me. “We’re all planning to go to a hotel after the prom is over, and hanging with Gerard would be a lot better than with some random the school places you with.”

“I guess. I might ask him,” I said softly. “I mean, just for convenience.” Frank smiled and returned to pretending to pay attention to the movie that was still going. I got up, desperately needing a glass of water after all that dancing. It wasn’t so much the dancing that had me exhausted, but more the fact that it was with Gerard. I had to watch my every move as to seem as elegant as possible. Being a girl sucked sometimes.

I savoured the feeling of the cool water going down my throat, it being exactly what I’d needed to calm myself down. All was fine and dandy until Gerard walked into the kitchen.

“So you’re going to the prom?” he asked, sounding a little sceptical.

“Well you went, so you can’t judge me for it.”

“Ahh, fair call. I was forced, though. My mum was just dying to see me in a suit, and that Carla girl wanted me to go.”

“Was she your girlfriend?”

“Sorta. I mean she was a girl and she was my friend, but she was way too into me for me to find it normal.”

“Look, Gerard…I know its kinda lame and I don’t really expect to enjoy myself. I’m going because I think it could be some fun, and Frank’s idea of going to a hotel after seems an adventure by itself.”

“Fair enough.”

“Will you go with me?”

“You want me to be your date?” I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

“I – I guess so, yeah.”

“Of course I’ll go with you Ali.” He smiled that smile and was off on his way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long lack of updates. I think this is back up and running now :D