Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 13

Image

The next days went by in a rush. I came back from New York, Sidney picked me up from the airport and we went pack to his place. We bought the house and hired a company to get some last renovations done.
We had arrived in Las Vegas the day before and were now getting ready in our Bellagio suite for Alex Ovechkin’s pre-award party. I wore only underwear as I fixed my hair and makeup . Sidney was in his own bathroom getting ready. For tonight I had chosen an adorable Halston Hertitage dress , white Pedro García sandals and a matching white Bottega Veneta clutch .
I stepped into the dress, put on the shoes, my clutch and a little present I had gotten for Sidney. We might not have had the best start but since we had to stick together why not try and make the best of the time. The moment I entered the room, the other bathroom door swung open and Sidney stepped out. He hadn’t seen me yet and was busy fixing his collar.
Blushing a little I approached him and said :”Hi.” I wasn’t sure if it was the hormones speaking but I had to admit he really looked amazing.

“Oh hey. Nice dress you look… great.” He said lifting his head and taking in what he saw.

“Thank you. You clean up not that bad yourself.” He laughed slightly. “Oh Sid I got you a present. You might find it creepy but I saw it the other day and just had to get it but my dad would never wear it so I figured you might like it.” I rambled while giving him the neatly wrapped box.
Sidney smiled and began to unwrap it. “Wow… uhm… wow… cufflinks with the flags of Nova Scotia… that’s cheesy… can you help me put them on?” He laughed.

Was he serious?
“Sure.” I walked over to him, picked the first one out of the box and carefully replaced his silver ones with the white blue ones.

“This is so cheesy… now I’m a total rep.” He giggled in his famous high pitched laughter.

“I swear if your kid has your laughter you so have to go double shift on the play ground or I need ear plugs… imagine a mini me of you… who would survive that.” I said before laughing along. “Seriously you now only have to as your Order of Nova Scotia badge and one could use you in a Nova Scotia commercial.”

“Oh wait. I got you something too. Give me a second it is in my suit case.” Sid said and walked away.

‘As much as you annoy me sometimes and as much as I like it when you leave at times… I can always appreciate you walking away.’ My pregnant mind spoke. Quickly Sidney returned with a rectangular box in the most famous blue with a white bow.

“Sidney…” I started but he lifted his hand to silence me.

“Vivian… we have to make this work somehow since we live together. The entire world thinks we are a loving, happy couple… hell newlyweds. As your husband it is my duty to pamper you and to shower you with gifts. I’m not good at my role since we technically aren’t in a romantic relationship but still I want to give you gifts so let me. I know that you can buy anything you want on your own and some of the things I will give you you might already own but please let me. It is my job okay?” He looked me I the eyes and for a second I could have sworn he was begging.

“Okay.” With a sigh I accepted his present and opened the case. On the white pillow lay the most beautiful bracelet I had ever seen and I smiled at him. He took it out of the box and fixed it around my arm. “This is so gorgeous.” I whispered before pulling him into a hug.

When I pulled back I saw him looking at me with wide open eyes.
“Vivian is that…” he stopped mid sentence while his hands wandered towards my belly.
Being pregnant over 2 months now left me showing a little more and the bump was already quite noticeable when I wore tight cloths what I tried to avoid now or when someone hugged me.
“Is this because of the baby already or just lack of work out and pretending having to eat for two ?” Sidney asked leaning his front head against mine.
“No it is all your baby. Guess why I always wear those flowy cloths… I don’t want anyone to guess shit before we break the news. Help me getting around tonight now drinking a thing. That will be the most crucial thing.”
“Will do. I promise. This is our kid so we will make it. I’m here for you you know?”
He grabbed my hand and led me towards the door. I slid a room key into my clutch and we headed over to the elevator.
In the lounge Sidney pulled me towards a group of 7.

“Hey guys.” Sidney said when we were getting closer.
“Everyone meet Vivian my wife. Viv, meet Jordan Staal-he also plays in Pittsburgh so you will get to see that ugly face quite often-, his older brother Marc and his financé Lindsay-he’s a Ranger, the oldest one of the pack [/url]Eric and his wife Tanya [/url] –he plays for Carolina and Marc André Fleury and his girlfriend Veronique Larosee. He is our goalie and Max’ best friend so unlike Max you will get to see him everyday. Or almost.”
The others all said “Hello” and told me to call them by their nicknames like ‘Flower or just Marc’, ‘Vero’ or ‘Jord, Jordy, Staalsy, Gronk, bestlookinghumanbeingtoever walk on earth… whatever you like.’

A few minutes later Eric, Tanya, Marc and Lindsay left us to meet up with their respective team mates so it left only Jordan, Marc Andre, Vero, Sidney and me.

“So what would you think about hailing a limo and getting there. The red carpet opened an hour ago so now it should be easier to get in.” Jordan said and led the group towards the curb.
“Red carpet?” I hissed into Sidney’s ear. “Really? I wasn’t prepared for that. Why haven’t you told me? I would have dressed totally different.”

“Relax you look amazing. It is not like the press hasn’t known you before or like you haven’t been on a red carpet before. Relax, smile and stay by my side. Pretend as if there could be nothing better than spending your night on with party with me. Pretend to be happy.” He whispered and looked be straight in the eyes with greatest honesty.

“Hurry up love birds” Jordan yelled across the room.

I still held Sidney’s stare and nodded. “I should be able to do that. Thanks for the confidence boost. I really needed that.”
He just smiled and leaned in for a short but soft and meaning full kiss and lingered for a second before pulling away.

“Get a room” Marc-André exclaimed as we closed the distance between us and them again.

“Sorry” I mumbled and blushed a little.

“Aww the blushing bride.” The French Canadian with the adorable accent remarked.

“Shut up Flower. She’s no bride anymore. She is my wife so treat her with respect.” Sidney snapped as the guys entered the limo after Vero and me.
“Relax Captain. I was joking. No need to get overprotective.”

The drive was a very short one and only a minute or two later we pulled up in front of the building the party was held at. Jordan was the first one to get out and met his other two brothers on the red carpet again. Then Vero and Marc-André got out.

“Good luck… see you inside…have fun at your first red carpet as a WAG” Vero said before taking Marc’s hand.
After the door closed it was silent for a second.
“Are you ready?” Sidney asked.

“Will I ever be?” I replied. He shrugged and moved towards the door. “Don’t answer any question you don’t want to answer. I’ll try to stand by you as much as possible but you know how the press can be.”
I nodded and watched him knock against window and someone opened the door. Sidney stepped out, turned around and offered me a hand to get out. I accepted it gladly and stepped onto the red carpet. After letting me straighten my dress and adjust my dress, hair and handbag Sidney placed his hand on the small of my back and led me towards the entrance. The Staals, Flower and Vero disappeared into the building and now we were alone on this carpet with many people I didn’t know. A little insecure I flashed my nicest commercial smile and stepped even closer to him.
The photographers went a little crazy and started yelling ‘Sidney’, ‘Sid’, ‘Mr. Crosby’ or just here. It felt like half an hour had passed but most likely it was only a minute or two Sidney softly pushed me further along the red carpet. Some reporters were screaming our names and we approached them.
A tall bulgy man in a suit pushed a microphone into Sidney’s face while asking questions only about hockey whereas a tiny red head a few places next to him asked for me.
Helplessly I looked at Sid. He looked over so me, pulled me in for a second, pecked me on the forehead before whispering: “You can do that… give them what they ask for.” After smiling at him once more I stepped away and over to the lady.
“Hi” I greeted her with the larges smile I could manage.

“Hey… so we all know you as Viviane Laracque the Canadian super model that doesn’t model anymore for undisclosed reasons and now 3 months later we see you walking over Alex Ovechkin’s Red Carpet with Sidney Crosby. Now can you tell us what happened in your life in the last quarter of a year or can you update the female hockey fans about the truth in the rumours we have heard about Sidney in the last months.” She asked.

“Well yeah it is true I am from Canada and I modeled for quite a while but I decided to take a break or retire who knows for several reasons. Some of them are private and only concern my closest family. The other thing. Some of you may know that I spent all my life in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia and it just so happened that my best friend right from the sandbox was that weirdo over there and somehow he convinced me to marry him so here I am.” I said jokingly and laughed a little. Flirting with the media was one of the first things you had to learn if you wanted to survive the red carpet: “Nono just kidding but it really is the stereotype story. We grew up together with the whole Canadian shebang pond chasing, hot chocolate with marshmallows and everything. Of course everything got a little harder when he left for Shattuck and I went to Europe but somehow it worked out. At some point he proposed but we never really made it public because it was our little private thing. No one but out parents and his sister knew about it. Not even his team mates. It was the secret get away place you know. But now we decided that I am back in North America it would be a good time to tie the knot, get married and move to Pittsburgh together.” I finished retelling the story our agents had made up together.

The red haired lady smiled: “Wow that sounds like a fairy tale. So did you guys already go on honeymoon or is it still coming up?”

“We just came back a week ago or so. We flew right out to the Maldives. It was amazing. It actually was the wedding present from both of our parents because as little kids we would always bug them about how we wanted to go there but we never really had the money for it because every cent went into hockey and other things in life.”

“Maldives what a dream. So you are off the market, Sidney is off the market, many breaking men and girls’ hearts all over the world. How do we have to call you now and what is up next? House, dog, kids? How can we imagine your life now?”

“My official name now is Crosby so Vivian Crosby that would be. I’m just waiting for my new drivers license and my new passport. What’s up next. Moving to Pittsburgh entirely. We just bought a house so there is a lot to do now, dogs… no not really Samantha stays in Cole Harbour with Troy and Trina but maybe later somewhen when we are settled… and kids…” I was just about to make up some good answers when I felt an all too familiar hand slip around my waist and Sid answered for me: ”We are having fun with that so wait and see. May I steal my wife now? There are loads of people to meet so thank you.” He laughed, shook the woman’s hand and led me inside.

“What an answer…. Such a male…” I laughed and grabbed his hand.
“You’re welcome”
A waiter approached us with a tablet full of different drinks. Sidney picked two glasses, one obviously holding champagne and one looking like it was either orange juice or orange juice with champagne. He led the glass to his lips and tasted but shook his head.
“Nope you won’t drink that.” He whispered before handing it back to a passing waiter.
“I’ll organize you something okay?” he disappeared in the mass for a minute but returned with a glass of Rum I think and a cocktail.
“I just went with a cocktail that sounded good that had no coconut and no alcohol in it.” Sidney said handing me the drink.

“You are the best… I’m impressed that you can remember things like my disgust for coconuts”
He smiled and after swallowing a sip from his drink he replied: “Honestly… I googled on the way to the bar what you favourite cocktail was and tried to find something that is similar to it. Since lemons are giving you sleepless nights lately I did not take an alcohol free Caipirinha so I looked for something that had the same juices like a Hurricane or a Sex on the beach ”
I laughed loudly. “You are impossible. But so adorable… thank you so much…. Now what shall we do?”
He led me around and introduced me to a number of players like Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews, Christian Erhoff or Marty St.Louis. To my own disappointment Martin Brodeur was not around but then again it would have been a big surprise if he was.
We sat down with Vero, Marc-André and Colby and his wife Melissa. Vero was tucked under Marc’s arm and cuddled with him. Colby and Mel sat across of the two telling stories about their little son Cruise. I sat next to Sid slapping away is roaming hand every now and then when it stayed on the bump a little too long for my liking.
Colby just told a story how Cruise had thrown a tantrum when the parents had left him alone with Uncle Riley for the Party when Sidney’ finger started to wander on the outlines of the barely there bump being a little too evidently.

“Sidney” I sat up and felt everyone in the booth staring at us. Sidney looked down on the floor realizing how he had overstepped the border. The glares of the two couple were burning into my side so I mumbled an excuse about how the sticky air, loud music and the smoking made me sick and walked out of the venue to catch some fresh air.
The reporters had left by now and the red carpet was removed. Now it was just a decently lighted driveway to the private location two bouncers in the curb and the valet were the only things that still gave away that it wasn’t just a mansion but a club.
I stood there for a couple of minutes and just inhaled the cool fresh air than breezed through the city coming straight from the desert. After a while the music inside was turned down a little and Alex Ovechkin- the host- said something into a microphone.
Less than a minute later the door behind me flew open with force and a person brushed passed me and a second later I realized who it was.

“Sidney” I said. “Wait.” He never turned around but jumped into a waiting cab. I pulled my phone out of the clutch and dialed his number. It rang a couple of timed but then the call was disconnected. I tried it 3 more times but every time it went straight to the voicemail.

I hung my head in defeat and walked towards our hotel. It wasn’t far down the street so why use a cab. On my way a couple of guys tried to ask me out but I just ignored every comment for the by-passers and was glad when I slid the key card into the door.

I heard Sidney pacing and talking in the bedroom. “Really Becks can’t you come here now… this person is driving me insane. I just don’t… What do you mean no?...wait what yeah sure… yeah talk to you in 5 minutes.”
While he was talking I took off my shoes and pulled some clips out of my hair. The bedroom door opened and Sid stood in the door. He had taken of his jacket and the buttons of his shirts were all opened. In his eyes I could see rage.
“HOW THE HELL COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME!” He yelled at me while closing the distance with a few strides. “WHY DID YOU DO THAT? IS THAT YOUR WAY OF REPAYING ME FOR THE MALDIVES OR WHAT? WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING… WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE…. DON’T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?” By now he grabbed me hard on my left shoulder and pushed me against the wall. “DON’T YOU KNOW WHO HE IS? WHAT HAVE I DONE SO YOU HAVE TO STAB ME IN THE BACK LIKE THAT.”
He was furious and I was scared.
“Sidney you are hurting me. I’m scared. Please let go of me.”
He lowered his voice but the grip on my arm tightend “You should have thought about that before you filmed that nice little commercial walking over the ice in a little red dress in nice high heels noooo not for your husbands clothing line… noooo for his greatest enemy… isn’t that just gr8?”

Sidney stared me right in the eyes and I could see the frustration, anger and embarrassment in his eyes.
His normally brown green orbs got darker and darker. I was so sure he was just about to hit me but then his phone rang.
He looked at me one last time before letting go and walking into the bedroom.

“Becky? Yeah it is me. Solve everything? She just came home… can you get the next plane to Vegas? I need you like now.”