Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 22

Image

Sidney came home after the heart to heart with Matt, Pascal and Carole-Lyne to find his Land Rover in the drive way and the lights on the lower level lit. He parked the Jaguar and went inside. Viviane was running back and forth between the living room and the bedroom carrying large garment bags. Sidney stood in the frame between the actual entrance and the entry hall and watched her pass him three or four times only being dressed in hot pants and oversized hoodie –most likely from his part of the closet- and thick socks. The next time the jumped off the stairs he stepped in her way and grabbed her wrists. Viviane jumped and her eyes went wide. Just when he stood right in front of her Sidney realized that she wore headphones and her iPod was on max.

“Ohhh… I’m so sorry Viv. I didn’t mean to shock you. I just wanted to know if you needed some help. By the way what are you doing?”

Instead of replying right away, Viviane rested her head on Sidney’s shoulder and lingered for a minute. “Sorry. My heart. You really had me by surprise there. I didn’t see you at all. It’s just two more dresses in the living room so if you want to grab them and carry them upstairs for me then give me an opinion.” She mumbled, her face still hidden in his shoulder. Carefully he stroke her back and hugged her for a moment.
“Hey of course I will. You look really stressed why don’t you go upstairs take a nap and then we’ll talk.”

He didn’t receive an answer just a mumble. Hugging her closer he felt Viviane relax and the heart in her chest beat slower and slower against his rips.
The caressing slowed down and the large hand nested between Viviane’s shoulder blades underneath her dark auburn wavy hair pressing her even closer into his broad chest. Sidney slowly felt all the stress that built up disappear. For the first time in a while he felt home. The bump pressed against his abs and a small movement within the womb made Sidney smile.

Is this what coming home was supposed to feel like?
Leaving the stress behind and enjoying the rest of the day with the family?

“Vivy?” he whispered after what felt 20 seconds later. She didn’t answer. Carefully he held her and lifted her head to find her fast asleep. Smiling a little wider he pushed a piece of hair behind her ear and picked her up softly. As smoothly as possible he walked up the stairs looking over to Viviane’s room to find the door closed. Debating about setting her down to open the door for a moment made him decide against it and carried her into the master bedroom, laying her down and covering her with the blanket.
After bringing the last two bags into the closed where he hung them next to the other bags –he counted 5- he just shook his head and went back downstairs. Worrying a little what the whole garment bag thing was about he just grabbed his phone and texted Matt:
“Totally taking you up on your offer. Is it normal when she just falls asleep midsentence?”

He set the phone on the counter and waited for Matt to respond. It was silent in the house. No noise at all. If he hadn’t just brought her to bed he would have found it frightening.
Cookies word played in his head over and over again and made him smile. Sure there were many things Sidney could fully understand but there were other things that would never be like that between Viviane and him.
It almost made him a little sad. All his friends had found their other half, Jordan had Heather, Evgeni had Oksana, Marc-André had Vero, Kuner, Duper, Cookie, all his die hard friends were married. Viviane and Sidney never got the chance to grown up and find their true love. Sidney thought he had found his true love in Becky when he met her. The only thing that always bothered her that Taylor didn’t approve at all and Troy and Trina never really made their opinion obvious but he was sure they didn’t like her that much either.
Staring into the emptiness of the backyards he drifted away in his thought and was completely shocked when his phone went of.

“ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. Really always. They are always tired. Don’t worry Sid.”

Smiling at his team mates answer he shoved his phone back onto the counter.
The next hour he spent in the backyard cleaning the grass from the fallen leafs. It was something he hadn’t done since the fall he left to Shattuck. Together with Viviane he had always built large stacks and when they were dry they would jump into them or make a leaves fight. Mario always had a gardener and so did he later have one at his own house. Somehow they hadn’t managed to hire one yet and Sidney wasn’t really sure whether he wanted one or not. An unfamiliar person in his backyard where his wife and kid were playing or working? It didn’t feel right for him. But then again the property was so large that it was too much to handle for them with his full time job and a baby to raise.
When he was fishing leaves from the pool he heard shoes shuffling over patio. He straightened up and found Viviane walking towards him, her hair completely messed up.

“Hey there”, he laughed, wiping some sweat from his forehead, the warm hoodie had been taken off long before.

“Hey” she yawned and stretched her sore muscles. “How did I end up in that bed?”

“I carried you upstairs and your door was closed so I thought it was the right thing to do. I put your bags into the closet. How are you now?”

“A lot better thanks. Sidney you should do that. I’m far to heavy.”

“Heavy… yeah I have to bench press my own weight just to warm up… you’re a fly Viv. So…”

“I bet you wanna know what the dress thing is all about. What do you think about you finish up here and I’ll whip up some dinner and we’ll talk at the table.” She suggested.

“Sounds awesome.” He answered and went back to work.

Viviane on the other hand turned around on her heels and walked back into the hous heading into the kitchen. He behaved differently since he came home today. Viviane could explain herself why he did so but it left a smile on her face and she felt a lot better about life than she had done only days before. After looking through the fridge she settled for eggs Florentine with mashed potatoes. Just as she checked the eggs in the oven and added the last hint of Muscat nut to the mashed potatoes she heard the door open and barefoot walking over the hardwood floor. Soon two strong arms wrapped around her bump and she felt his chin in her shoulder.

“Looks and smells good.” Sid commented.

“Yeah and you stink. Go shower dinner is ready in 5.”

“Aye boss.” As soon as he had finished Sidney darted up the stairs and the water was turned on only 30 seconds later. Smilingly Viviane shook her head and set two plates and cutlery on the table.

“So… you wanted to talk over dinner.” He started as an awkward silence spread while eating.

“Oh right. There’s this charity gala in Los Angeles on the 4th I should attend. I totally forgot about it until Heidi called me this morning and asked me about what Designer I would wear so we don’t have the same one.”

“Wait. You are in California this week?”

“Yeah I’ll fly on the 3rd. I’d love you to come but you have to work and I totally get that.”

“Nonono… I’ll call Ray in the morning. You will fly tomorrow around noon with the team jet. I don’t want you to fly around on your own. We will watch the game against San Jose on Thursday. Friday morning we’ll fly to LA with the team jet. While I have practice you will get ready and all and we’ll go there together. Our mothers would flip if you’d go there alone. I have to fly back on Saturday morning anyways so I’ll make that ticket two. Please let’s handle it like this.”

Viviane looked at her husband for a moment, setting down the cutlery to think for a moment.

“Stop playing with your rings. That always looks like you want to take them off.”

Viviane got pulled out of her considerations. “Oh sorry. I always do that when I’m thinking. Well if you really want it like that and I don’t interrupt any team bonding stuff, why not. But you have to help me pick the dress. Like I said I forgot about the event and then Heidi flipped you know she’s the host and made them fly in from New York on a short notice so I have to pick one.”

“Sure… let’s hope the airport store has a matching tie.” Sidney joked and both of them laughed finishing dinner in a way better tone now.

********

As soon as Sidney stepped out of the shower after his morning run he grabbed his phone to tell Ray to put Viviane onto the passenger list. After adding a short explanation Ray agreed to it but told him they’d have to take care about the hotel arrangements on their own. Whatever solution they came up with should not influence Dupers rest in any way because he had a game to play.

He prepared breakfast for the two of them and then started packing his luggage. Luckily he had found an in his closet that matched her dress and they were happy.
Sidney wasn’t lying if he said that he was a little scared a little of that gala but he had to do it for Viviane. She had been to so many things with him and now this was the first time it was all about her. He know it was a big deal but at the same time it wasn’t his world. He remembered well how the guys had ripped Mike Comrie last training camp about his red carpet pictures with Hilary Duff. Sid just hoped he wouldn’t look as much like a scared smurf as Mike did.

Viviane joined him in the kitchen looking like she had stepped out of some fashion magazine.
“Good morning Sid.” She greeted him switching on the coffee maker to perfect her daily Chai Tea Latte.

“Good morning. We’ll leave in an hour. Do you still need any help? Tell me when you’re done packing. You will not carry your luggage on your own. You married me to do that.”

“Sure thing boss. I just need to throw some last essentials like make up and stuff and my vitamins into the suitcase and zip it up… other than that… okay I have to pack carry on but that will take 10 minutes at max.”

“Perfect.”

After breakfast they raced each others to the bathroom to brush the teeth and finish Viviane’s luggage. She packed her Blackberry, iPad, a book, the digital camera and her Canadian passport along with her wallet into her bag.

Sidney grabbed the two suitcases and her handbag and allowed her to take the garment bags with his tuxedo and her gown.

Viviane placed them gently onto the backseats of the Land Rover and sat down on the passenger seat waiting for Sidney to take a seat.

He went back inside to check the windows and the alarm system before locking the front door.

His wife already had put the key in the ignition and turned on the heater so when he sat down it wasn’t that cold anymore. Sidney smiled at her when he turned the key and shifted the stick.

It was nearly 11am when they pulled into a special section of the airport. In awe Viviane took Sidney’s action and the people’s reactions in. The way he stopped in front of a gate whose inscription said ‘No access for public cars’ but was greeted by an elderly man in a bright yellow jacket. Needless to say that he didn’t even had to show his ID. He just greeted ‘Mr. Stephens’ and wished him a great day. Mr. Stephens replied the same and greeted her with a nod. Parking the car next to Marc-André’s beloved car they stepped out and were approached by a young man who grabbed their suitcases to bring them to the plane.
Sidney watched Viviane take her handbag and grabbed the garment bags. Meeting behind the trunk, her glowed hand slipped into his and he guided her towards the team’s aircraft.

“Well now, prepare for 3 days of madness. If you think you know what the guys are like… believe me you haven’t seen their road side yet. That probably is the reason why we almost never take wives and girlfriends on roadtrips… they don’t know anything by the way.”

“Okay…. Thanks for warning me...”

“Just one last thing… I always sit next to Flower. Since the day I came into the league and even when one of us is injured no one else takes the seat. It’s like a rountine.”

“Honey it’s called superstition.”

“I don’t have superstitions… I might be superstitions and have borderline crazy routines but those aren’t superstitions.”

“Sure Sid. Go ahead.”

“Anyways through Max leaving the seat across the isle is empty though so if you don’t mind you could sit there and if you need something I’m just two feet away.”

Viviane laughed lightly and nudged him into the shoulder.

“I know Crosby. Just like pretty much every Canadian and for sure every person from Cole Harbour I watched 24/7 but nice to let me know. I’ll be right there so you don’t need to freak out. I won’t drink coffee. I’ll just sit there and do something… I’ll find something to so… don’t worry just hunt the other guys down who hunt in some bushed…. I mean your partner in crime is –from my point of view- the best goaltender since Martin Brodeur and you know how much I love this guy.”

Sidney let go of Viviane’s hand because they had arrived at the stairs and he chose to walk up before her

“I know you say ladies first, but my dad always told me to walk up stairs before a lady does. Plus the jerks will have to pull me down before they can tackle you.” He explained.

“Thanks a lot I guess. You are their captain so you know what you are talking about.”

“I do.”

“I remember you saying that on a nice summer evening in your backyard in Nova Scotia.”

They both laughed and their hands found each other again when they walked up. A flight attendance greeted them at the door and asked for their passports so she could check their visas and identity. After being crossed off on her list, Sidney led Viviane into the first class of the plane. Shortly greeting Dan and Tony who were the first one’s of the coaching staff they walked on to find Marc-André with a large bottle water in his arms leaning against the outer wall of the plane with his eyes closed. After storing the garment bags and their coats in the over head department Sidney motioned Viviane to wake the napping goaltender up.
Like usual Sid sat down next him but Viviane took place on Sidney’s lap, carefully bending backwards until her back and head rested on Marc-André’s knees. The sudden weight woke the goalie up and he jumped a little causing Viv to laugh.

“Oh my god you shocked me. Good morning Sidney, good morning ma cherié. Not that it bothers me but what are you doing here?” He said with his accent that made Viviane melt a little, she sat up again, turned on her husband’s lap and rested her head against his shoulder, his right arm wrapping around her with the hand on her upper thigh.

“You know I have to be in Los Angeles on the fourth and your Captain over here doesn’t want me to fly public all alone so he convinced Ray to allow me on this trip. So I’m pretending to be Max, sit over there and make weird comments though I won’t try to imitate the accent and I won’t play Socom… the only game I rule at is Tetris…. Maybe Pacman. Anyways I’ll watch you guys stomp San José into the ground and I will see you leave the ice as a better goaltender than Thomas Greiss is. With that I mean I want you to win. Well then we all will fly to LA I’ll pretend to be Max again… I even have a fake FuManChu in my carry one. Then you guys practice a little I’ll have half a dozen people around me that will try to make me look somewhat presentable. While you and the team have team dinner I’ll steal Sidney for a charity event by Heidi Klum and the next morning we’ll fly back to Pittsburgh so Sid can meet the doctors and I can just lay around. In the evening we’ll watch you guys on tv and I’ll fall asleep half way through. And I talk way too much… sorry I’m tired.” Viviane rambled at a really quick pace and tried to hide her face in Sidney’s dress shirt.
The two men laughed and talked a little more, before Viviane took a seat in Max’ seat.
With the time more and more of the guys entered the planed, walked by to greet their captain and their goaltender. Everyone seemed really surprised to find Max’ place taken and greeted her.
Soon everyone was on board and the plane was ready for take off. Viviane closed her eyes and snuggled into the blanket Sidney had given her and before she know she woke up in sunny California.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you very much to Lee, Georgia, Kelly and Kendra.