Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 30

Image

After Taylor’s visit it felt like their relationship had gone back to normal. They were enjoying each others company, caring about their former best friend trying to rebuild what they had had years ago. Troy had visited them for roughly a week for the fathers trip and spent some more days at their house helping Viviane fix things around the house and build up the rest of the furniture of the house.
By the time Troy left, the Christmas lights were installed, the garden was ready for the winter to come and the nursery was fixed. But the most important thing that had happened between Taylors visit and today was the clearance. Sidney had finally returned to the NHL. The media was buzzing, Mario had printed thousands of “Welcome back Sid” signs for the first game back, the whole town seemed to be in Sid mood and Sid himself wore the sassiest smirk on his face. He had played 7 games now and already recorded 3 goals and multiple assists. Viviane had circled the day in the calendar when he finally shaved off the mustache. It was the day of December the 5th. Slowly but surely Viviane was bothered by the bump and she was counting the days until she finally gave birth. Being pregnant to her was the greatest gift she had received in her life and even though it all had happened in an unconventional way she was thankful for the baby every day.
Sidney was picking names on a daily base. When he was on the road he would send her random names he picked up somewhere and asked her for her opinion…. Opponents, actors and actresses, names on houses, everything.
Since both Matt Cooke and Taylor had had long talks with him he was on a roll.

But the thing she liked even more than his sudden interest in his little family was the return of certain facades of his personality she missed.

Some days ago

Viviane laid on the couch wrapped in a warm blanket watching the post game interviews.
The station cut in Sidney’s interview. After some usual questions one reporter asked:
“Sid, your goal production dropped significantly. So far you only scored 3 goals. What’s the reason behind it? Did you lose your touch, is it intentional or is it just the stress of being the face of the NHL and a husband/soon to be father?”
Sidney looked into the camera with a straight face and answered
“No I just don’t want my kid to be shocked that his father leads the NHL in goals so I decided to wait a little before starting to score big time.”

Flower who was walking by burst out in laughter and Sid smirked.


Viviane was glad to have the sassy Sid back. And the fans loved to see him in a different way than the media robot.

Sidney had a game against the Boston Bruins tonight and it was the first time for him meeting the reign Stanley Cup Champions so he was very particular with his pre game routines. He hated to miss Viviane’s weekly check up at the doctor but she understood how important it was for him. Viviane knew better than to mess with his schedule so she wouldn’t report him about the doctor’s appointment before he came home after the game.

The keys turned in the lock of the front door and she knew Sidney was home from the morning skate.

“Hey I’m home.” Sidney said, while taking off his shoes.

“Hey I’m in the kitchen.”

Foot steps approached and soon Sidney appeared in the door.

“What are you making?” he asked when he saw his wife covered in flour, the sleeves of her shirt rolled up over her elbows and her hair in a really messy bun working on something.

“I’m trying to make Christmas cookies… stress on trying.”

Sid laughed walked around the kitchen isle and stopped behind her wrapping his arms around the bump to look into the bowl.
“Doesn’t look too bad?” he asked trying to hold in a laughter.

“Don’t make fun of me it’s horrible.”

Both looked onto the dough that was more like a soup of milk and butter with flour and chocolate chunks in.

“Okay it’s a lost case… 3 minutes kay?” he proposed, pecked her neck and headed upstairs.
Quickly he changed and went back down to help her. In the meantime she had cleaned the bowl and sat on the counter next to the sink and looked at him expectantly.

“Now come here. First you start with the butter, you have to beat it until it’s creamy and fluffy, then add the eggs and sugar. Once you don’t feel the sugar crystals anymore slowly add the flour. Always add one spoon flour and beat until it’s blend in. When all the flour is in add the spices or whatever you want to mix in.” He explained when he stood between her legs with his hands on her upper tights.

“Is it really THAT easy?” she wondered.

“Yeah… that easy… even I can do that.”

“I haven’t made Christmas cookies since last time we made some.” She whispered and hung her head.

“What?” Sidney wondered.

“I haven’t made Christmas cookies since we were 14.”

Sidney looked at her with a weird expression.

“Are you kidding me? You haven’t made cookies since 9 or 10 years.”

“I haven’t had Timbits since I signed my contract so what makes you think I ate Christmas cookies.”

“Even I have real Christmas cookies every year. I mean it kills my work out plan but it’s totally worth it.”

He looked at Viviane whose head still hung down. Softly he placed two fingers under her chin and lifter her head. When he caught her gaze he held the eye contact smiled and promised: “How about I’ll take you on the road to Winnipeg, we’ll fly to Cole Harbor after the game, have the most perfect Christmas at home and come back on the 26th for the canes game.”

Viviane smiled a little and softly kissed him on the lips but lingered a little.

“When did you plan this?” she asked after she pulled away and looked into his sparkling eyes.

“Three or four weeks ago?” he smiled and tried to pull of a puppy look.

“So the parents already know so do the coaches and the ticket are already booked right?”

Sidney laughed and nodded: “You just know me too well. Now let’s make some cookies before I need my nap and head to the rink. What time is you appointment?”

“5:30 so I also have time for a nap after baking.”

He took her hands and carefully pulled her of the counter. Together they made some cookies, she would weigh the ingredients and he would beat them.

Roughly 90 minutes later the cookies were cooling off on the counter and a tired Viviane looked at her husband expectantly.

“We have to let them cool off now. So now it would be a good time for a nap, then a shower and off to work.” He told her his schedule.

“I want a nap. And I’m freezing.” She pouted. “Why do you get paid for sleeping? I’m jealous.”

Sidney smirked and pulled her into a hug. “Oh Viviane and you get paid for being the prettiest girl I know.”

“It’s hard work being pretty but now I’m a manatee.”

“I haven’t seen you swin against a window so now relax. Join me for the nap. Then you won’t freeze anymore.”

“I like that.” She smiled at him and ran upstairs.

Some minutes later she sat on the bed in the master bedroom watching Sidney walking through the halls towards her, barefoot in a shirt and PJ pants.

He smiled at her, closed the door and pushed a button so the blinds of the windows closed and it got dark except for the lamp on Viviane’s nightstand. Viviane crawled under the cover on her side and waited for him to join her.
Soon the covers shifted and she felt a large warm hand on her shoulder pulling her back on her back. She looked up to him and smiled: “Yes sir?”

“This is the second time we actually sleep in this bed.”

“It’s so comfy… why can’t I sleep here every night?” Viviane mumbled and closed her eyes.
Warm breath flew over her cheeks and her eyes flew open again. He only hovered inches about her face. Supporting his weight with one hand placed next to her head, the other one by her side.

“Sid…” she started but was cut off by his lips crashing down on hers. Soon her eyes fluttered shut and her right hand grabbed the front of the shirt pulling him closer when he started nibbling on her lower lip. Involuntarily a silent moan escaped her lips. She felt him smirk cockily but shut him up by giving his begging tongue the entrance into her mouth but battled it with her own.
It felt like hours later when they pulled away lacking oxygen. Sidney pulled away his arm and laid down beside her with his face hidden in the crook of her neck and his arm slung around her torso.

Viviane laid onto back with her husband fast asleep on her chest. Carefully she played with his hair and watched him sleep. He had turned a little and she could see his eyes moving from his dreams. He held her tight and every exhalation tickled.
At some point she fell sleep.

The annoying alarm of Sidney’s cell phone made her jump when it went off. Quickly she grabbed it and muted it. She felt Sidney hide his face in her hair and his grip loosen.

“Hey wake up Champ.” She cooed and caressed his back.

Sidney just shook his head and squeezed his eyes shut.

“Sidney it’s 4 pm.”

He just mumbled a ‘five minutes.’

“How old are you?” she laughed.

After shaking his head once again he sat up and walked into the bathroom without a second comment or glance.
Minutes later he walked out, with a towel wrapped around the hips and headed into the closed. Dressed in a dress pants and putting on a dress shirt he stepped out and leaned against the wall. Slowly he closed the buttons and looked into his wife’s face. She turned red when she realized he caught her staring.

“What are we?” she suddenly asked.

“Human? I’m no dancer.” He answered lacking a better answer.

“No I meant what are WE?”

“Married I guess” he stopped buttoning and looked at her.

“I know I mean like what? We were married enemies, married acquaintance, what are we now?”

“Married friends?” he asked and disappeared into the closet.

Viviane frowned and hid her face in the pillows, biting her lower lips. Tears shot in her eyes and hurt. She tried to keep her breath even and rolled as much onto her stomach as the baby allowed her.

Sidney stood in the closet, fixed his tie and put on his jacket. He shook his head at his reflection. Why was he so stupid?
He grabbed his winter coat, toque, scarf and gloves before walking back into the bedroom. Sidney hesitated a second and took in the picture of the pregnant lady in his bed.
He swallowed hard.

After stepping closer to the bed he petted her back and softly pecked her under the hairline in the neck. “See you after the game.”

Viviane held her breath in and nodded.

Sidney picked up his watch and ran down the stairs to not be too late at the rink. As soon as the front door fell close Viviane turned around and looked in the mirror. Her eyes were puffy and tears were streaming down her face. She shook her head at her stupidness, stood up and tried to shake off her thoughts.

After a quick shower she got dressed, took her new Land Rover and drove to the doctors office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you Noni, Kelly and Cecilia