Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 31

Image

Viviane’s steps felt heavy and her shoulder slumped down when she walked towards the car. Her bag was carelessly thrown onto the passenger seat and her front head collided with the steering wheel. Viviane closed her eyes and let out a heavy sigh. This wasn’t the way she had expected this day to go.
Why couldn’t anything go smooth in this marriage?

Annoyed she hit her head against the headrest and rammed the key into the ignition. The large car slid onto the road easily and headed towards home. On the way she passed many Penguins fans in Jersey’s, funny hats, with signs. Everyone was excited about today’s game. Number 87 and their surname CROSBY was everywhere. Viviane sighed once again and was happy her car had tinted windows when she stopped at a traffic light in the middle of dozens of fans.

What would she do when he came home that night? Should she wait for him in the kitchen and just tell him? Would they sleep in the master bedroom again like they had during today’s nap? To Viviane it felt so right. How would Sidney react? Would he understand?

Viviane was lost in her thoughts when a car honked loudly. She jolted back to reality and saw that the light had turned green long ago. Quickly she sped of and made her way home.

The house was dark when she came home. The sun had set long ago and the only light around were the solar powered Christmas lights Troy had put up in the drive way. Viviane had forgotten to turn on the porch light before she left so she had to open the front door blind. The house was empty. Each step of her boots echoed through the large halls and hit back with force. Her feet moved her into the bedroom where she took off her leggings and tunic and put on sweat pants, a top and one of Sidney’s zip up sweater jackets.

The bump had grown so much that the fabric of hoodies rubbed against the skin and hurt. Things like that made her feel a lot bigger than she actually was.

There she stood in the dark house in the middle of the evening and she did not know what to do. It was 6:45 so Sidney’s game wasn’t starting for another 15 minutes. She wasn’t sure whether she should watch the game or not. This day had confused her. Usually she would spend the time with ironing, laundry, cleaning, stretching, minor work out, that kind of thing but her doctor’s words echoed in her ears ‘take a break. Lay down do nothing. If you don’t want that to happen you have to go to 15%’

Viviane felt helpless, worthless. After debating she crawled into her own bed with a giant bar of Lindor chocolate and put ‘Charlie and the chocolate factory’ in the DVD player. It was one of her favourite movies and in times like this it was just the right thing to cheer her up. With a smile on her face she hummed along the Oompa Loompa song and laughed at all the right moments. The combined awesomeness of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and the Swiss treat that melted on her tongue put a content smile on her face. She felt better.

When she checked the time again she realized that with watching all the extras she had missed the while game and Sidney was soon to come home. She had no message on her Blackberry like she always had when the guys got together after a game.
Quickly she opened her NHL app and saw that the Pens lost 1-3 to the Bruins.

Viviane frowned. Could this day get any worse? She knew the mood Sidney was in after a loss like that. The team had to face a lot of adversity these days with key players like Z or Kris out for and unknown period of time. The called up guys from Wilkes-Barre tried to use their chance to shine but over the time of the game you felt that some of them still had to step up a little. Viviane hated the moody Sidney and thought about how to ease his post-loss nerves before breaking the news to him. This wasn’t going to be easy for either one of them.

Viviane cuddled back into the pillows and shook her head. The warmth of the bed engulfed her brain and made everything seem a lot easier. When she heard the front gate fall close with a low locking noise and the car pull up in front of the house, she got up and walked down the stairs.

---------------

Sidney parked the car next to Viviane’s Land Rover, got out and locked it. When he walked towards the house he saw the light in the halls and the upper level lit. Involuntarily he had to smile. It was funny how fast the got used to getting home after a game having someone waiting for him to return. Sure when he lived with the Lemieux’s there always was someone at home, but now Viviane was waiting for him and only for him to get home. He unlocked the front door and saw her standing at the bottom of the stairs with a little smile on her face.

His bad mood vanished a little and he managed a semi smile. “Welcome home Cappy” She greeted him, took the last step of the stairs and walked towards him while he locked the front door and activated the alarm system. “It sucks.” He plainly stated and pulled her into his chest to reward himself with a welcome home kiss. “You will get them next time. Pittsburgh has the hotter Captain and the nicer goalie anyways.”

“So that’s why you like the Penguins… such a girl” he mocked her a little.

“Damn busted.”

“You taste like chocolate. Did you watch Johnny Depp again?”

“Guilty 2.0”

Sidney walked upstairs to change while Viviane went into the kitchen to get to glasses of water and in another bathroom to brush her teeth.

“Hey Viv” she suddenly heard him call her from the bedroom. “Where did you hang out?”

Sidney stood in the master bedroom and stared at the perfectly made bed. Viviane entered the room, put the glasses on a counter in the bathroom and sat down on the bed while Sidney took off his work attire.

“In my room?” she answered in question. He looked at her in confusion.

“Didn’t we decide just earlier today that this bed is amazing and we wanted to use it more often?”

Viviane smiled. “You’re right, friend. We have to talk anyways.” With these word, she stood up, began taking off the extra pillows and the giant extra blanket. Sid brushed his teeth and stared at his reflection in the bathroom. Had he done something wrong? The words ‘We have to talk’ in movies and books always meant mistakes and drama. He started thinking hard but he just couldn’t come up with anything he may have done but he didn’t find anything. She knew about his mistakes and they had worked on getting over them. Not able finding the correct answer he spit out the water, washed his face and walked into the bedroom.

Viviane laid on her side of the bed with the covers pulled up to her chin.

“I think someone in this room is freezing.” He commented when he walked around the bed.

“That would be me. I read in some book that you can use werewolves as space heaters. Leave it to me to marry a penguin. Never read that those are any good at keeping you warm.”
Quickly he took off his shirt, slid under the cover and pulled her towards him. Viviane smiled and thought ‘If you told me a year ago I’d be spooning with him in one bed pregnant with his offspring I would’ve punched you square in the face.’

“You know” Sidney answered in a low husky voice: “I’m Captain Penguin that means I have special powers. I can make you all hot…” Softly he bit her in the shoulder and made her squeal.

“Sidney…” she scolded him and turned around to face him. ‘and bothered’ her brain added to his last statement. The low light on her nightstand made nice shadows on his bare chest and tracing the outlines of his muscles that flexed under her cold fingers made forgetting about the topic very easy.

“Vivy” he pulled her back reality soon. “You said we needed to talk…”

Viviane swallowed hard and nodded. “As you know I was at the doctors office today and she told me that I have to really lay low now stay in bed for most of the days, no walking, no sport, no hectic. And I have to see her at least twice a week.”

When she looked back at him she found him staring with huge eyes. “What? Why? Are you okay? Is the little one fine? Do you want me to hire a maid or should one of our moms fly down? I could ask Nat to help you in the house. Oh my god Viv what’s wrong?”

She smiled at him and his concern and softly stroke his scratchy cheeks before answering: ”My cervix is getting shorter. She wants to keep a close eye on it. She hopes that laying it low will either stop the shortening or even make it a little longer. By now it should still be around 5 centimeter, like it was all through the last month but it dropped to a little above 3.3 centimeter. If I go down to 2.5 she will put me on strict bed rest and around 2 centimeters will put me in the hospital.”

Her face had dropped while telling the story and Sid didn’t know better than hugging her close. She snuggled into his warm chest and listened to his steady heartbeat. The slow powerful rhythm calmed her down a little.

“The cervix is it like the uterus?” he suddenly asked.

“Yeah it’s the lower part of the uterus and when it’s too short or even dilated, the body can’t support the weight of the baby anymore, the water can break and the child will be born too early.”

“Oh” was all he could come up with.

“Hey” he cooed once she faced him. “I will do whatever I can to make sure you can lay as much as possible and that you don’t have to go to the hospital until you are giving birth okay?”

Viviane just nodded, rolled back onto her own pillow and said: “Put your shirt back on… with the long IR we can’t have you sick Cappy.”

Lightly she touched the wound on his cheek and felt him squirm a little under the sudden contact.

He smiled at his wife, pulled the shirt on and leaned over to kill the light. Before laying down on his back he looked down on her and saw her bright eyes fixed to his lips. He smirked a little and leaned in for another deep brain freezing kiss.

2 minutes later they pulled away. Sidney dropped flat on his back not touching Viviane at all. All he could feel was her presence and her radiating warmth.

What was this all about?

Why can’t I just once…. UGH SIDNEY GET YOUR PANTIES STRAIGHT!!!

Why can’t he be a little less confusing and a little easier to read… just for once

How old are you? 12? Stop being so stupid. You need to stop doing it. NOW
♠ ♠ ♠
Lee, Kelly, Kendra