Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 34

Image

The next day was a slow one. Sidney once again started it with heading to the rink after breakfast, going through the impact test that LUCKILY came out well and spend his morning in the gym and skating a little on ice.
Viviane laid on the couch while he was gone and simply had nothing to do. It was boring. She wasn’t in the mood for reading a book or watching TV and all her friends or her family were at work. Slowly she was getting moody. The fact that she might have to stay on bed rest until the baby was born, made her restless and feel useless.
She pulled the blanket up to her chain, nipped on her tea and was hung up in her thoughts when her phone went off.
With a groan she turned around and grabbed it from the floor.

“Hello?” she answered the call without checking the call ID.

“Where is my favorite preggo?” an all too familiar voice asked.

“Maxy Talby…” Viviane cooed.

“Hey Viv… where are you guys? I just sneaked into the penguins locker room and didn’t see an 87…”

“Oh buddy admit it you just sneaked in there to sit in Flowers stall and cuddle with his stuff.”

The other end of the phone call went silent.

“Damn… busted” Max mumbled before bursting into laughter. “You know me too well.”

“So…I really did not know that an asteroid hit Philly days ago…”

“Eh?”

“You must live under a hell of a rock if you don’t know why there is no 87 in the locker room…”

“I have no internet at my house right now. Marc didn’t mention anything last night…”

“Awwwwwwww… my lovers went out last night? That’s so cute…”

“Shut up Viviane… he’s my best friend… I miss him…”

“Still that’s cute…”

“He sneaked out after their team dinner and came over to my place okay? Go tell Sid and get Marc in trouble.” Max sounded a little angry. “Now where is that shitty cappy?”

“Calm your tits Maxime… I was just teasing you. I’m just expressing my sadness about losing you… I’m still hoping that we’ll trade you back for someone… Sid is in Pittsburgh seeing his doctor right now.”

She heard Max gulp: “Is he concussed again? Those stupid Bruins… I swear next time we play them I will… who did i?”

Viviane laughed. “MAXIME… you’re a Flyer now. Technically it’s none of your business.”

“I don’t care about the stupid color of a stupid jersey I’m wearing. These guys are my family and no one hurts my family. Just because I don’t have a penguin on my sweater again it doesn’t mean I still am a part of that team in my heart somehow. Not like hockeywise but humanwise. Don’t get me wrong Philly is great and the guys are great but sometimes I’m on the plane, have to think of something turn around to tell it Sid and Flower and they aren’t there. I punched guys before who crosschecked Flower and if they annoy me during a game after they did something to one of my boys that will just give me one more reason to smash their face.”

Viviane swallowed some tears and breathed out heavily. “Oh Max… I can’t imagine how hard that must be.”

“I know… I made my choice because the Pens and I just didn’t find a base. Believe me it was not about the money. I’m not like that… I just wanted a contract that gave me a perspective. I didn’t want to go from one short term to the next short term contract. It was my decision but sometimes it’s still hard… so who hurt Sid?”

“It’s just a sum of a bunch of hits he took during that Boston game. They sent a bunch of guys at him and his head bas buzzing a little the next day so he didn’t go with the team. He also collided with Kuner, has a cut in his face and had a sore knee so basically it was just giving him a rest, getting him back to 100% and running the impact.”

“Thank god… wouldn’t want him out again. The injury bug is a bitch with you guys right now eh? Tanger’s out, Zyb’s out, Benny… I was so looking forward and all I got was Marc-André…”

“a) Marc is the love of your life so don’t say ‘just’ b) what about Duper, Jordan, Geno and the rest?”

Max just laughed but before he could answer the front gate alarm went off.

“Hold on Max… we gotta waddle to the front door… someone’s at the gate… wanna bet Sidney will install a second station next to the couch soon so I don’t have to get up.”

“Why’s that so? Doesn’t he want you to move or what?”

“No the doctor put me on a semi bed rest and Sidney took the Semi out and doesn’t want me to move a finger. I’m surprised he hasn’t forbid me to breath yet. It’s ridiculous.”

“Okay… so who’s at the front door? Pizza service, post guy, secret lover?”

“Tell me Talbo don’t you have a practice or somewhere to be?”

“So it’s the secret lover??? I KNEW it… I’m gonna tell Sid… wohoooo”

“MAX” Viviane laughed out loud. “Stop that… I have no clue who it is… I’m at the door in a second.”

“Okay… I already did all my pregame stuff and am at my place right now not in the mood to nap yet.”

Viviane finally arrived at the display and saw a familiar long haired creature pacing in front of the camera with both hands in the coat pockets.

“What the…” she mumbled and pressed the open button.

“Who’s it? Who’s it? Who’s it?” Max whined like a little kid. Viviane just smiled at the visitor and greeted him with a hug.

“What are you doing here? How’s your head?”

“Better better thanks… am I interrupting you?” her visitor wondered and smiled.

“No it’s just Max.”

“Who’s it? Who’s it? Who’s it?” the annoying French Canadian still sang through the phone.

“MAXIME… FERMES-LA. C'est seulement Kristopher.”{Close it=Shut up. It’s only Kristopher.}

“Letang? Je voudrais…”{I want…} Before Max could finish the sentence Viviane pressed the device into Kris’ hand and motioned him to take the call. Soon Kris disappeared into the kitchen talking to his former team mate in quick, quebecoise French.
Viviane shook her head and went back to the living room.

After about 10 minutes, Kris reappeared. This time minus the coat and his shoes. He took off his toque and shook his hair a little.

“I was bored… I’m a little sick of sitting at home all by myself and since your husband is at the rink and put you on bedrest I thought be could be bored together.”

Viviane smiled at his idea and flashed him a big grin.

“Soooo what are we doing?”

“The doctor said I shouldn’t watch too much tv so I brought some games.” He pointed to the bag he placed by his feet.

“Kris why are you perfect?” Viviane asked and beamed at him. “I was so bored and had nothing to do… thanks for reading my mind.”

Kris laughed and pulled out some board games.

“What should we start with?”

“Scrabble… in french” Viviane shot out immediately and gave him a challenging glance.

“I’m in… but be aware… I’m just a hockey player… not a Harvard graduate…”

“What? You’re not Craig Adams?” Viviane placed her hand over her heart in a mock shock…

“Sorry to disappoint.”

Both throw a fit of laughter before building up the board and picked their letters.

-----------------------------------

Around an hour later Sidney arrived at his house a little exhausted from practice just looking forward to take a long warm bath and take a nap afterwards. The thought of laying in bed with his wife doing nothing but talk and snuggle but a smile on his face. He’d never admit it to anyone but the feeling of having someone to come home to, someone to care for and someone to provide a feeling of home, security and comfort for was something he had never felt before and it made him feel like he was living for something else than just hockey.

He parked his car, locked it and entered his house. In the entrance he found black leather shoes and a man’s coat. Wondering a little he felt his eyebrows pulling together. A weird feeling settled in his stomach. Never he had take his shoes and jacket of quicker. He heard laughter in the living room and Viviane was talking in French at a really high pace. A little anxious he followed the voices and could smack himself when he entered the room.
His wife and his team mate were resting one a couch each with a scrabble came in the middle of them. A thick dictionary and Viviane’s iPad lay next to it. Obviously they were discussing words.

“Hey Hun, hey Kris” he greeted his wife and his team mate. Kris was the closest to him so he went over and shook his hand before sitting down on the couch Viviane laid on and gave her a quick peck.

“What are you doing here?” he asked his team mate and shot him a smile.

“I was bored and I know that Viviane isn’t allowed to do a thing either so I thought I’d keep her some company while you were at the rink… I don’t think I have to tell you how boring it is when you sit at home all by yourself.”

Sidney just nodded and looked at the scrabble board.

“So you’re playing scrabble in French? What’s the problem?” He saw that they had formed like 5 words each.

“I said we’d so it in French but all he speaks is Quebecoise and we’re discussing every word… he always claims I’m making words up but I’m not… it’s not my fault that Canadians totally raped that language.”

Everyone laughed but Kris added: “She always says I add letters to words so they are long enough to reach the special fields… not fair…”

Sidney shook his head and was glad he hadn’t come home a lot earlier so he wan’r participating in that game.

“What time is it?” Viviane wondered and stretched sitting up.

“Almost 2 why?”

“We have an appointment at 4 dummy…” she ruffled his hair and pinched his cheek.

Kris smirked and started packing the game. “I should get going and sleep a little anyways… I just don’t get why you hid her all the years. Look at how whipped you are.” He teased his captain and stood up.

Sidney just smirked. “I just didn’t want to share her with you guys… but now that I married her I couldn’t not have her here.”

Viviane mouthed SOFTIE to Kris who smiled.

“I can drive you home if you want…” Sid offered after realizing he didn’t see a car in the drive way.

“No no I’ll just grab a cab. Don’t let me bother you, have some lunch and take a nap. You look a little off.” Kris went for the door.

Viviane and Sidney stood up and followed him in the entrance area while he called a cab. Sid just shrugged and wrapped an arm around her waist to pull her into his side.

“He said he’s be here in 5 minutes… I’ll walk down the street a little to not give away your nice little paradise here. Thanks for the game Viviane… good luck at the doctor… hope it got a little better… see you around Sid.” Kris hugged his captain’s wife and gave his friend a one armed man hug.

“See you at the gym tomorrow?” Sid asked. Kris nodded.

“Not doing a lot but trying to keep in shape.”

The French Canadian said good bye and left the couple behind. Sidney opted against the bath and just took a warm shower while Viviane laid down.

15 minutes later Sidney joined his wife in bed and wrapped his arms around her while pulling her against his chest. Viviane rested her head next to his and let out a content sigh.

“This should be a routine… sleeping in the middle of the day is just awesome.” She whispered.

“That’s why I chose this job… getting paid for at least 82 naps in the middle of the day.”

“Can your team hire me as something and I get to do that too? I’d even be Iceburgette.”

“Iceburgette?” Sid giggled.

“Yes… don’t you think you’d also need a females mascot I mean look how huge your female fan base is.”

Sidney just grind and answered: “We’re having a team dinner at Mario’s next week… feel free to tell Mario and Ray about your plan.”

Viviane laughed, turned in his embrace and wrapped one of her arms around his giant torso.

“I don’t know about that.”

Sleep slowly took over her and her eyes fluttered close while Sidney’s hand drew circles on her acing lower back.

Content Sidney watched his best friend sleep. Her eyes were closed, her lips slightly agape and her hand had clenched into a first and held onto his shirt. Softly he started caressing her back again and felt Viviane relax. She let go of the shirt a little and tried to inch even closer to him.

Soon his eyes fell close and he drifted away. It felt like he only slept for seconds when the shrill alarm of Viviane’s Blackberry echoed through the spacious room and made his bones cringe.
Annoyed he grabbed the black device and hit the snooze button. His shirt tightened and when he opened his eyes he said that Viviane was trying to hide in his side. Tiredly he chuckled and let his hand roam over her back. She purred a little and lifted her head. Weakly she tried to smile and Sidney had a hard time to not laugh out too loud. Her hair was all over the place not even close to her somewhat neatly done hair. Some little black spots were on her cheek. Dried mascara that must’ve rubbed off and fallen down while she slept.
He reached for her and pulled her fragile, pregnant body into his chest for a close embrace.

“Rested well?” he asked.

“Like in heaven.” The answered and closed her eyes while listening to his heartbeat. “Too short though.”

Sidney smiled and ruffled through her hair.

“Still we have to get up… we need to get some food into you and then there’s an appointment to attend.”

Viviane smiled and stood up. While she got ready in the bathroom, Sidney quickly made some sandwiches for them. After she was done they ate and Sidney changed.

He insisted to drive to the office so she snuggled into the passenger seat and leaned her head against the window while the sights of the city flew by. By the time he pulled into the parking lot she was fast asleep. Carefully he pulled her into the seat and walked around the car to open the door. After shaking her softly Viviane woke up and the couple walked into the building with locked hands.

Though the waiting area was well filled the doctor had them sent into the examination room as soon as they sat a foot into the door. She asked Viviane to undress and take a seat on the chair so she could take a look onto the cervix. Without any hesitation Viviane took of her shows and pulled down her leggings and panties in the middle of the room to place herself in the chair Sidney only associated with either bad porn movies room mates in Shattuck had watched or what he thought torture in the middle age was like. When his wife spread her legs to place them into position and the doctor scooted closer to start the check, he felt quite uncomfortable. He did not know what to do or where to look. He shifted from one leg to the other and suddenly was really happy that the doctor was a woman.

“Wait a second.” Viviane said before the doctor could start, wrapped one leg over the other and turned one head to Sidney. “Come here” she extended one hand and smiled at him. Gladly he took it and stood by her side. During the check Viviane kept their gaze locked and smiled at him. A wave of relief washed over him and it felt a little less awkward. Suddenly he saw her making a face and immediately he spun around to look at the doctor.

Both women laughed a little and Sidney felt left out. Viviane squeezed his hand and said smilingly: “I’ll tell you later.”

He just nodded and waited until the doctor told her she could come down again. After a quick ultrasound she told the couple that the baby was healthy and growing strong but that there was no change with the cervix. Luckily it hadn’t shortened more but until now it hadn’t grown stronger either so she put her on bed rest until the next appointment on Tuesday. So with a new picture for the scrapbook but not the news they had hoped for, the couple left the office to drive home.

As soon as the doors of the car were closed and the engine started, curiosity got the best of Sidney.

“So what was that in the doctor office when you made that face? Did she hurt you? Did the baby hit you extra hard?” he rambled in sorrow.

Viviane smiled and placed her hand on his knee when they stopped at the next red light.

“No, don’t worry. To look at the cervix you have to use a special device and when she inserts it she puts lube on but pulling out sometimes feels a little weird.”

“Insert? What do you mean?”

“Well it’s this metal thing and it’s pushed through the vagina to the cervix so they can spread it a little and check it. Dude didn’t you have sex-ed in Shattuck?”

Sidney blushed a little. “Uhm… dunno… but why does it feel weird I mean isn’t that then basically like a dick pulling out?”

Viviane laughed. “Oh Sid… when was the last time I slept with a man?”

She laid her hands onto the bump and laughed whole-heartedly.

Her husband turned redder with ever time the laughed and sped home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you Kelly, Amber, Kendra and Lee.