Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 44

Image

In the next hours everything was planned and scheduled. The next morning a helicopter would bring Viviane home while Sidney was driving the car, their luggage and the dog home. He would already start in the early morning because the media predicted a blizzard for the early noon. Unfortunately they had made the mistake to call Vero who would stay at the hospital until Sidney came home later. Vero was worried and running crazy. Less than 5 minutes after Viviane had hung up with her a worried Marc-André had called Sidney to find out how the situation really was. Apparently Vero made it sound worse than in actually was and had the whole team worried.

Their mothers took the news better than expected and no one booked a flight to come to town. They only had to promise them to call as soon as real labor set in so they could get in as soon as possible.

After Sidney had packed up the house he returned to the hospital and sat by his wife’s bed who was fast asleep cuddling with his arm. The tv was on but the sound was turned down. He watched sports center glancing down to her every now and then making sure she wasn’t in pain or stopped breathing. Later he took out his MacBook and reviewed the most recent loss, making notes on what area’s he saw mistakes and flaws. The next day he would hand them to Dan.
Being unable to work bored him and made him go crazy. Kris looked a lot better and could return to the ice soon so he had no one to hang out and mope with anymore.
Around 10 pm the nurse came in and told him to really go home now. He looked down onto Viviane, unwrapped her from his arm and pecked her goodbye before dropping a note onto the nightstand and driving back to the rental home with an uncomfortable feeling in his chest.
After a short walk with Samantha he took a last quick round in the pool and went to bed. His dog sat by his side eying up to him with sad eyes. Letting out a sigh, he patted the empty spot next to him and Sam laid down on Viviane’s pillow licking his cheek calmingly. With a short laughter he petted his old friend and caressed her neck. The dog closed her eyes and seemed content.

---------------

The morning in the hospital was an early one. A nurse woke Viviane up and led her into the bathroom helping her getting ready. After changing out of the PJ’s into a yoga pants and a sweater, breakfast was brought in. While she ate the bagel, the apple and drunk the red tea, a younger nurse packed the few belongings she still had in the room into a duffle bag Sid had left her there.

Not long after two men came in to bring her to the helicopter. The nurse who had welcomed them to the hospital days earlier waved her goodbye and handed her an envelope.
As soon the blades of the helicopter started moving, curiosity got the best of her and she opened the envelope.

Good morning Viviane,
I hope you slept well. By the time you will read this letter you will be somewhere between that little hospital in Ohio and the place we call home during season. As a kid you never liked helicopter but I hope you aren’t that scared of them anymore. Sammy and I will try to get going as soon as possible so we can be in town by the time you will be. If not Vero will be there (and will have terrorized everyone at the hospital with all the hygiene and security question the world only offers). See you home.
Take care of you and the baby.


She couldn’t help but to smile at the kind words her husband had left her last night and watched the winter wonderland passing by hundreds of feet underneath the helicopter. Soon the familiar buildings of the city came into sight and when they landed on the hospital she let out an involuntarily sigh.
It felt good to be home again.

New nurses rushed to the helicopter and brought a wheel chair introducing herself. Viviane was only listening half-hearted. All she wanted to do is finally get to the room, close the door and blend all the stress out. 20 minutes later her wish was granted. After going through several check ups and meeting the other doctors one nurse brought her to a two bed room on the private station.
She had asked Sidney for a double room so she wouldn’t be too bored. The girl she shared her room with was Kendra an 8 month pregnant soon to be twin mom.

----------------------------

The days dragged on and her condition didn’t changed. Sidney’s mood on the other hand changed a lot. Mid January he came to visit her in the hospital to announce great news.
He would join the team on the roadtrip to Sunrise and Tampa Bay. Viviane was relieved that he finally was allowed to leave town. Not that she liked being alone much but going there with the guys was a huge step forward and was lightning his mood immensely.
When the team flew home Sidney went to Georgia to meet Dr. Carrick.

Kendra had given birth to her two girls 3 days ago and was allowed to go home today. Viviane sat in her bed and watched the brunette pack.

“I’m so jealous.” She laughed at her new friend.

Kendra grabbed a pile of shirts from her closet, placed them in her suitcase and looked at Viviane with a raised eyebrow.
“Excuse me?”

“You’re getting out of here and you have your babies already. I’m stuck here for I don’t know how long and I have no clue who will be my new neighbour.”

Kendra laughed at her friend and shook her head.

“Come on. In a few weeks you will come home too. Whoever it is will be a nice person. I have so many appointments and check ups with the babies in the next days. I promise you we will visit you and you won’t even notice that we are gone.”

The closet was emptied soon and a nurse brought the papers. Kendra waved one last time and walked into the arms of her husband who was waiting outside with her luggage. The young couple went to the new born wing to pick up their twins.
Viviane let out a tired sigh and grabbed her iPad.

Soon after the nurses cleaned the room and brought a new empty bed in, skype went off. She smiled and accepted the call.

“Hi daddy” she cooed and waved at her husband.

He smiled and waved back: “Hey mom. How are my dearest two doing today?”

“We’re great. Junior is doing all right, growing, sucking life out of me and using my bladder as a punching back. Other than that Kendra left us today… we’ll see who is joining is now. I just hope it’s someone nice.”

“You will do great. Don’t worry about it. I don’t think you will have any problems. You lived in a house with 10 girls… you can handle one.”

Viviane laughed and wrapped her arms around herself.

“You’re right… how are you?”

His face darkened.
“I’m okay I guess… I don’t see myself making great progress like I did the last time I was here in Georgia.”
He seemed closed and sad.

“Well maybe your body already got used to those treatments so it takes a little longer until they kick.”

In the middle of her sentence Sidney already started shaking his head but stopped and closed his eyes for a moment.

“I’m thinking about seeing another doctor…”

Viviane let out a sigh and send a short prayer that said doctor was somewhere nearby.

“But…?”

“I will have to go to California.”

“Shit” Viviane exclaimed and a long silence kicked in.

The clock of skype kept counting silently but showed both of them how time flew by.

“Vivy I…” he started but stopped pinching the bridge of his nose and closing his eyes. “I really don’t know what to do. The smart decision would be going to California, seeing that doctor and working out but I feel bad… I wanna be home… I need to be home. For you and the baby.”

Viviane swallowed the knot that had formed in her throat. It was time for her to be the bigger person.

“That’s nonsense. You will fly to California with the next plane. Really. Imagine that doctor can help you. Imagine those pains go away… the dizziness… and I mean really gone… not just temporary so they will come back after you are targeted again. I insist on you going there. When I should go into labor I will call you before I call a nurse okay? You won’t miss anything… all you should worry about is that pretty head of yours.”

“Yeah but I can still visit that doctor after….”

“No Sidney… you are going to California today or tomorrow. I don’t want you to waste any time. If you miss out on this opportunity you will blame yourself forever. Your career is the thing you should focus about now. You worked so hard to become who you are. I won’t let all those days in your basement go to waste. Go to California, get healthy and help your team win the cup. Your family will still be there to love you when you are 50 and retired.”

Sidney laughed and looked at his wife with glowing eyes. “Will you still be there for me when we are 50?”

Viviane giggled. “We’ll see… if you stop snoring.”

“I don’t snore” he looked at her in panic.

“That’s what you think… wanna ask Duper?”

Both laughed.

“Okay… I will fly to California today… but promise me to call as soon as I have to come home.”

“Will do… now go pack.”

They bid goodbye and shut the devices off.

-------------------------------

Sidney sat up and grabbed his phone. After a short call a flight and a hotel was booked. It only required few minutes to pack everything. His hockey bag still sat beside the door from today’s practice. Only his shirts hung in the closet, all the drawers were empty. Soon the suitcase was zipped close and stood beside the hockey bag.
Sidney grabbed his carry on luggage and put his MacBook, wallet, passport, phone and the framed picture into it.
Glancing through the room one last time, he closed his light jacket and headed to the elevator. The lady at the reception looked at him in surprise.

“Mr. Crosby…. Leaving us already?” she asked, putting his key card into a machine.

He took out his wallet to get his credit card.

“Yes my stay in Georgia was cut short.”

“I hope it was all to your pleasantries?”

“Yes thank you Mrs. Wellers. It was nice to stay with you again.”

She checked him out with his credit card and smiled. “Well then good bye it is… I hope your next stay won’t be because of health issues.”

“I hope for the same. Thank you.” He bid goodbye to the elderly woman and headed to the cab that brought him to airport.
After his luggage was checked in he sunk into one of the comfortable leather seats closing his eyes. He had barely slept last night playing with the thought of packing his bags and flying back to Pittsburgh. Sometimes it felt like all the sorrow, pain and treatments weren’t worth it.
He pulled his cap down and kept his eyes closed hoping to not be recognized by anyone walking by. Trying to find his inner peace and relaxing a little before his plane would be boarded he listened to the noises of the airport.

After a while he felt someone sitting down in the seat next to him and seconds later his peace was disturbed by that someone taking away his cap, poking him in the side and saying rather loudly: “Hey lazyface.”

With a groan he opened his eyes and saw his best friend.

“Army… what the fuck are you doing here? Give me that.” He grabbed his cap and placed it back on his head before he man hugged him. Colby smiled.

“I’m on my way to California… but I was stupid enough to book Delta so I have to change here.” He gestured wildly.

“You are flying to California… with Delta?” Sidney ask with a risen eyebrow.

“Uhm yeah… you?”

“Same….”

After sharing a laughter they compared they boarding cards only to realize that they would be on the same flight….

“So what are you doing in fancy LA?” Sidney asked.

“Actually I’m seeing a Doctor close to Santa Monica because of these stupid concussions… you? On your way to some jet set event or a stylish commercial shoot?”

“Nope… on my way to a doctor close to Santa Monica.”

“Dude you’re kidding me…”

After catching up a little they realized that they were seeing the same doctor. Soon one hotel room was cancelled and the friends looked forward to spend some time together…

------------------------------
“Man... I feel like being a rookie again… ” Army said dumping his suitcase and hockey bag next to the door and jumped onto the bed.
Sidney giggled loudly at his old friend and mirrored him.

“This is going to be epic.” Colby said, laid down and smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
THANK YOU Kendra, Lis, Lee,Kelly and Cecilia.