Status: Complete.

Keep Your Girl Out of My Shoe Cabinet, Your Wife

Chapter 58

Image

The next morning felt a little off. The other side of the bed was cold and unused, the baby monitor didn’t make any sound. When Viviane found the battery empty she jumped out of the bed and ran into the nursery to find Ani sitting in his bed playing with the stuffed penguin that never left his side. She let out a relieved sigh and picked him up. Back in the master bedroom he crawled under his fathers blanket. Viviane dropped Sid’s pillow into hers so Ani could lay comfortably. Sleep started taking over her when her phone went off.

-------------

Sidney sat in his New Yorker hotel room and stared at the ceiling. Most of the guys had taken the 3 hour break between the team breakfast and the bus departure to the Madison Square Garden to do a little shopping in the area. He on the other hand had spent the first 45 minutes of the break with waiting for the hockey news reporter who was stuck in the New York traffic and giving an interview for said magazine.
Now he didn’t feel like chasing the others and walking through the busy streets of big apple. His gaze wandered through the empty room. Pascal had a shopping list for his daughter’s birthday party and to Sid it looked like it was some mix of an M&M and Disney Party. Happy not having to be a regular customer at the Disney store, he laid back and thought about what to do.
The weather channel didn’t offer him any other information than a look out of the window did and the other channels were plastered with news, morning shows or cartoons. He grabbed his phone and send a quick ‘Good morning’ text to Viviane.

___________

“Do you want to talk to Daddy?” Viviane asked her son after reading the text.

“Daddy?” Ani’s eyes grew wide. Immediately he said up and looked around. “Daddy?” He asked again. Viviane smiled. “I take that as a yes.” She pulled the iPad out of the nightstand and started Skype. A few seconds later Sid came online and called them.
Ani crawled over to his mother and sat down in front of her. She turned onto the side and perched the tablet against a pillow so both could see Sid and he could see them.

“Daddaa” Anakin squealed.

“Good morning you two. How is Pittsburgh today?” he asked.

“Morning Sid. Honestly I have no clue. So far I only left the room to check on Anakin. The monitor broke. I think the battery is empty. But I freaked a little when the control light was off so I got him over here like 10 minutes ago. How is New York?”

“Busy… the boys are shopping, I did some press and now I’m all by myself. What’s up today?”

“Sounds nice. Not too much. We will go to the doctor this morning for Ani’s check up and an immunization shot, then after lunch he’ll nap and we’ll pick up Vero once she’s done working. A little Christmas shopping before watching the game.”

Sid nodded at the other side taking in the information.

“Ani you will be a big boy without crying about the little syringe, right?”

Of course he didn’t understand anything but clapped his hands and giggled.

“Yeah. I fell so understood.”

Both parents shared a laughter.

“No for real speaking of Christmas, will you talk to Vero about the dinner? I know how you are about planning it so just go ahead jump right into it and let me know what she said. I talked to Flower and he said it’s all up to you ladies.”

“Nice, thank you. I will. So what are you doing at this fine day?”

------------------

They talked a little longer about their days, things that had to be done and the latest team and league gossip. Soon it was 10am and it was time to get ready. After a quick breakfast, Viviane dressed Anakin and jumped under the shower to freshen herself up. The doctor’s office wasn’t far away and it was fairly empty.
The doctor checked Ani’s seize, weight, ears, eyes, nose and did some reaction tests. Just like in the previous tests he did well and the doctor told Viviane that he was more than happy with his development. She cradled her son into her chest and held him tightly when the doctor gave him the shot. He started crying and wrapped his arms around her neck. Soothingly she rocked him back and forth trying to calm him down.
After saying good bye to the doc, tears were still streaming down his cheeks.

Once he was strapped into his seat, she sat down on the back seat next to him, pulled out her phone and called Sid. He was on his way to the rink but excused himself to the back of the bus to speak some words to his son.
Sidney felt a lump build in his throat when he heard Ani cry while he was so far away.

“Shhhh hey buddy… calm down. Daddy will be home soon. The doctor didn’t mean to hurt you.” He kept talking to him for a few minutes until Anakin calmed down and laughed again.

“Thank you so much Sid. He just didn’t stop crying.”

“No problem. There are some things a dad is good for.”

Viviane laughed: “Yeah but usually dad’s are the daughters shoulder to cry on. I’m pretty sure this morning when I changed the diaper he still looked rather male.”

“I’m convinced that Ani is a boy, don’t worry. There is no daughter in our family right now.”

“That’s true. Okay well have a good morning skate, I’ll have to drive home now. Otherwise he will be late for his nap and cranky all day… just like his dad.”

They bid goodbye and hung up.

-----------------------

At home Viviane heated up the Macaroni and Cheese she had cooked the day before and heated up a small portion in the microwave. Anakin gladly devoured it and went to bed for his nap.
While he napped she made herself a salad and hung up some laundry in the backyard.

Time flew by quickly and before she knew, she parked in front of Vero’s work and waited for her to get in. Catching up on each other’s day they drove to a nearby mall and got out.

“I really don’t know what to get Sidney for Christmas” Viviane complained after walking out of the third store empty handed. “What do you get a guy that had everything?”

Vero smirked: “Usually I’d say get lingerie but I think you have more than enough of that.” She pointed at the nearest Victoria Secret store that featured a picture of her.

Viviane laughed: “Yeah they got me a life time supply along with a load of money… don’t even get me started about the money they offer me for runway shows. Not sure about those though… runways don’t have Photoshop.”

Vero nudged her in the side and shook her head. “You don’t have a single ounce of extra fat anywhere. I really don’t know how you got back to that body so quickly. Most of the girls would kill you for your secret.”

They walked on and finally found some gifts for Marc-André’s sister, Vero’s parents and Viviane’s mother. Happy with the small success they decided to take a break and rest their feet at Starbucks.

Viviane handed Vero 10 bucks, Ani’s sippy cup and asked her for a low fat milk for Ani and a Chai Tea Latte with extra cream for herself. While Vero ordered, she pushed the stroller with her sleeping son to the back of the store where the girls hoped to have some privacy. When the drinks were done, Vero waved her over to help her carry the 3 mugs to the table.

“One semi warm, low fat milk, one Chai Tea Latte with extra cream and a hot Chocolate with extra cream for Vero.” The barista announced. She flashed the receipt and they were good to go. Back at the table Vero sat the now awake boy onto her lap and handed him his bottle.
Anakin adored his ‘Veo’ and sometimes Marc-André joked about how Ani was stealing his girl. Viviane gave her a confused glance.

“So V, what the actual flower is this? Since when does Mrs. Coffee addict drink hot chocolate?”

Vero blushed a little and looked up from Anakin. “Uhm let’s call it a little precaution.”
Viviane almost choked on her drink and smiled. “Excuse me? Is it what I think it is? Flower mans up for real”

Veronique smiled and nodded: “Yes. Since he’s spending so much time with Ani he’s really excited about being a dad himself. We’ve been trying for the better part of 3 months now and I think it may have worked. I have an appointment this afternoon and I was hoping you could tag along.”

“Well of course. I’m so happy for you.” Viv reached over and hugged her friend. In the time since she had known Vero she soon had found out that she wished for a family with her long time partner. From stories she knew that Flower had always been a little distant about the topic. He had always made clear that he wanted kids just not at that time.

“But I still think Marc only wants a kid so no one gives him weird glances at his childish behavior. I mean have you ever been in his man cave? It’s not a man cave it’s toys’r’us.”

The girls laughed and talked a little about stuff.
After the break they got some more presents and Christmas decoration before heading to the doctor’s office. The girl at the desk greeted them and gushed over Ani. Vero was at the same doctor so the girls were really excited to see how he had gotten along. When it was time for the appointment Vero got a little nervous. She handed in the urine and together they waited for the result.

“Well Mrs. Fleury, I can happily announce you, that you indeed are expecting. Would you want us to take a look at it?”

V was shaking, clasped a hand over her mouth and nodded with tears in her eyes. Viviane watched her climb onto the stretcher and fold up her shirt.

“Veo…” Ani yelled holding his hands out to her.

“Hey cowboy. I’m right here. Stay with your mom.”

Ani sat back down on his mother’s lap and stuck his thumb into his mouth. Viv caressed his had and let him lean against her.

“Here it is. So you are about 6 weeks along. Congratulations. Would you like a picture?” the doctor said and pointed to the monitor. Vero only nodded unable to speak.

-----------------

As soon as the girls were in the car they started to giggle.

“Oh my god I’m having a baby…. Marc is going to freak.” Vero laughed and looked down on her stomach.

“I’m so happy for you V. It’s such a nice time.”

“Can we stop at Consol?” Vero suddenly asked.

“Sure.”

Viviane changed the lane and headed to the rink. The girls smiled at the guard at the parking lot who said hello and shook his head at the girls. They parked next to Flower’s car and Vero jumped out.
She unlocked it with her key, grabbed some hockey tape from Sid’s trunk and stuck one of the sonogram pictured to the wheel. The windows were tinted so no one from outside the car could see it.
Happy with the result she got back into the car and smiled: “Off to the Fleury residence.”

Some other girls came over and they watched the game together. As soon as it was over and the Pens defeated the Rangers 4-1 Viviane brought her sleeping son home.

_______________

It was midnight when Sidney and Marc-André walked towards his car to finally get home to their wives. The game had tired both of them and nothing seemed more welcoming than a good night’s sleep in the bed with the women they loved.

Love.

That term wandered through Sid’s head a lot in the last weeks. He and Viviane weren’t at the point yet that they told each others that they loved each others like grown people, not like kids or teenagers. But sure he felt like he did. He couldn’t imagine coming home to any other person than her.

Marc-André pushed a button and the trunk flew open. Both men put their luggage into it and walked around the car. When Flower got situated behind the wheel and put the key into the ignition he found a piece of paper stuck to the wheel.

“Qu’est-ce que c’est?” he mumbled but saw a hand fly in front of him. Sid sat at the passenger seat looking at the print.

“Contratulations, mon ami. In 8 months you will be a member of the honorable ‘Pittsburgh Penguins Daddy Club’.” He chuckled and handed it to his goalie.

Confused the French Canadian turned on the light and inspected the picture.

“Excuse me but how do you know that?”

Sidney laughed.

“A) It says Veronique Fleury on top of it so it sure is addressed to you. B) there in the corner it says est. dob. So you know that this summer you will have to do groceries, tie shoes and rub feet instead of long nights with the boys and beer and c)” he pulled out his wallet and handed Flower the first sonogram Viviane ever gave him. “I have one of those myself so I know what it looks like. We have a whole photo album just with Ani’s sonogram pictures but this one… was the first one and I always have it with me. To remind me to a) think about what I do, b) stand up for the things I do and c) always remember what an amazing family I have.”

Flower smiled at his friends and knew that no words needed to be spoken.

“Let’s call Max. He’d freak if he knew that you found out before him.” Marc laughed and pulled out his phone.

“Talk to me fuck face.” A grumpy Max answered the phone.

“Did we wake you up? What a loser are you Superstar?” Sid joked.

“Crosby why are you on Flower’s Phone. I have a 2:30 game tomorrow you idiots.”

“Relax Maxime. He’s in my car. Sorry for waking you up. Just thought you wanted to know that you’ll be an uncle again this summer.”

“Congrats Sid, knocked Viv up again?” Max laughed still sounded like he was asleep.

“No it’s Vero you creep.” Sid laughed shaking his head.

“What??? Did you keep her at such a long arm that she ran to Sid? Wow Flower really.” He mumbled.

The two penguins looked at each others and laughed like two crazies.

“What drugs did you take Max? Really… of course it is my kid… sleep and we’ll talk after your game….”

They hung up but still couldn’t contain the giggles.

---------------

The entire house was dark but Viviane had heard the front door open and close, the stairs creak and the wooden floors crunch. She heard the door of the nursery close and steps coming closer. She turned around to face the door and saw him stepping into the room, dropping his tie and shirt onto the armchair and walking into the bathroom. Viviane sat up and turned on the lamp on the night stand. After a while he returned only wearing his dress pants. With tired eyes she looked at him and noticed the bruises that started to form. A little cut on the wrist that was covered with a band aid and a puck had hit him on the arm. It started turning dark blue and purple. He smiled at her, stepped out of the pants and slid under the cover.

“Welcome home” Viviane mumbled and nestled her head onto his chest over his heart. He wrapped his arms around her, killed the light and answered.

“Good night Vivy”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes I don't want to think about the stupid exam tomorrow -.-

Kelly, Lis, Laiba, Tiff, Lauren, Lee andAlison this is for you :D