‹ Prequel: Incline
Sequel: Hey, Princess

Some Kind of Magic

C h a p t e r T w e n t y - F i v e

Emma was more than willing to help me get rid of Mackenzie once and for all, and now that we had Dylan on our team, it was going to be a piece of cake. We just had to wait for the opportune moment. At first, I wasn’t sure if telling Dylan about her was the right thing to do; after all, she was framing his father and if he was even a little out of control with his emotions, he would surely confront her but instead, he agreed to help us with removing her from the school. We had gotten into the habit of going out for breakfast together every Saturday morning and I was still trying to work Lucy into my conversations with him, but it was kind of difficult since he didn’t even know who she was.

“I’ve never been a fan of these things,” Dylan said, tapping the glass display case to point to a cinnamon bun. “They’re so . . .”

“Cinnamon-y?” I put in.

“Yeah,” he laughed, and proceeded to give his order to the woman behind the cash register. Dylan was specific with his requests and for a moment, panic flashed over her face while she tried to type everything into the machine as fast as she could to keep up with him. It wasn’t that it was a particularly difficult order to figure out; he was just very quick. I had already gotten my orange juice and my plate of fruit, scrambled eggs, potato wedges and three slices of bacon so I found a seat and waited for him. He came over with a hot chocolate, a bagel with cream cheese and some fruit on the side and sat down across from me.

“So what’s up with you lately?” he questioned. “You seem so concentrated all of the time. It’s like you’re planning something devious.”

I was; it all had to do with Mackenzie. But until I had actually talked with both Emma and Dylan on how to go about things, I didn’t have a plan at all.

I shrugged and picked up my knife to cut my eggs. Dylan cocked a brow in confusion, probably more curious about why I was cutting something so delicate when I could have just used my fork. “I’ve just had a lot on my mind lately, that’s all,” I replied to him. He didn’t buy it.

“What’s going on, Iz?” he asked. “You’ve avoided me almost this entire week, and Robbie tells me it’s been the same thing with him. Are you angry with us or something?”

I couldn’t help but laugh at him. “If I was angry with you two, why would I go out for breakfast with you?”

He frowned. “Seriously.”

I set my fork down and put my hands on my lap. “Okay, if I tell you this, you have to promise not to say anything to Robbie or Elsie, or Broderick . . . or your dad. Or the vice principal. Or Mack—”

“Isabelle, just tell me,” he demanded. “I won’t say a word.”

I took a deep breath. “Emma and I . . . we saw Mackenzie with Mr. Bishop a while ago, and they were, you know . . . kissing.” His eyes grew wide but if he thought that was shocking, he had no idea how much I was just easing him in. “Do you remember how you told me that Mr. Bishop’s been after your dad’s job for years now?” I asked and he nodded. “And you said that he would do anything to get it, right?”

He sat back in his chair, stunned, and lifted a weak hand to his forehead. “Shit. What are they planning?”

“I overheard Mackenzie talking about it in the bathroom; she’s been trashing all of Elsie’s assignments so she’ll get kicked out and have to attend a different high school. Then there won’t be anyone standing in her way if she wants Robbie,” I said.

“Are you telling me this all has to do with some stupid boy issue?” he snapped.

I sighed. “Unfortunately.”

He shook his head angrily. “There’s more, isn’t there? I can tell by the look in your eyes.”

I nodded guiltily. “They’re planting drugs in his office, Dylan. They’re going to try and frame your dad.”

His entire being seemed to collapse from hearing this. “Are you being serious?”

“Unfortunately.” I put my hands flat on the table and leaned closer to him. “Emma and I haven’t said anything because we doubted anyone would believe us. Mackenzie’s got credit at this school too, and the fact that she could beat us into the ground or get someone else to just by snapping her fingers kind of scares us.”

He scowled. “Iz—”

“I know what you’re going to say; I should tell your dad before things get worse but up until now, it’s all been very spur-of-the-moment and anything we’ve done has just been off the top of our heads. But why do you think Mackenzie gets so freaked out whenever she’s called down to the office? She knows the board’s looking into things, and I can guarantee you that they’ll find out about the two of them before they find out what they’re planning against your dad. Hell, I don’t think they even care about what’s happening to Elsie’s grades.”

“Does that mean Bishop’s the one who’s under suspicion?” he inquired.

I lifted a shoulder. “I would assume so. Preston’s been coming in and out of our class to monitor him and it would only make sense if he was that guy. Plus, Preston kind of let it slip that he was shadowing him for a reason.”

“So what’s your plan?” Dylan asked.

I swallowed hard. “What do you mean?”

“Well we can’t just sit around and do nothing. I’m not going to let my dad get fired over something as trivial as Mackenzie trying to impress my brother and Mr. Bishop snatching the principal’s job. They’re trying to tear our entire family apart,” he said. “I should go over there and confront her right now.”

I put my hand on top of his and he went stiff. “Don’t even consider it, Dylan. Look, I’m not sure about what to do right now, but we will think of something.”

“Yeah, but the problem is that this Friday is when the cops come for the monthly walk-through. If she’s planning on actually acting on this, she’ll be jumping at the next chance she has to get him out of there. How are we supposed to solve this in six days?” he groaned, pushing a hand through his hair.

“I don’t know,” I admitted.

“Well whatever you come up with, count me in,” he said. “No one messes with my family or friends and gets away with it.”

~ * ~ * ~


Emma was on the trail to find out who Owen was the very minute we got to school. She met up with Dylan and I at my locker during our third period lunch and told me how she had asked around her first two classes to figure out if anyone knew him and if Mackenzie had any friends named Owen. She had definitely done her research. I, on the other hand, felt completely useless. She came up with an answer though; Owen Eaton-Woodard, the school’s drug sack. Everyone seemed to know who he was, except for me—I had never heard of him before.

Emma already knew what he looked like but since I didn’t, I just followed behind her like a lost puppy trying to match her speed. Dylan was pretty much doing the same. Emma found Owen in the little corner of Massey Hall that led into another hallway which no one really went into unless it was for a bathroom emergency or to use the darkroom. She wanted to put her rare intimidation skills to the test in order to force the details of Mackenzie’s plan out of him, and luck seemed to be on her side for the day because when we found him, he was alone.

Out of nowhere, she grabbed the collar of the black-haired, scruffy boy and shoved him quite brutally against the wall. My eyes went wide. Unfortunately, seeing such a tiny girl stand up to a guy who was nearly twice her size made it very hard for me to contain my laughter. But this was a serious situation, and it called for me to be just that; serious.

“Em, what are you—” Dylan started to say but she cut him off just by raising her hand.

“Whoa, hey, calm down now. What’s going on, Wolfe?” Owen asked, putting his hands up.

“You’re going to answer our questions,” she deadpanned.

“I am?”

“What’s your involvement with Mackenzie?” she asked, ignoring what he had said.

“Merrick?” He scoffed. “I don’t have to tell you anything. Let me go, I don’t have time for this.” He tried to move out of her way but Dylan stepped in front of him even though he didn’t have to; Emma shoved Owen against the wall again and I could see him wince. I moved around them to get a better look at him. “What’s your problem?” he asked Emma.

“What’s my problem? You’re my problem; that’s what. Now tell me, what do you have to do with Mackenzie’s plan to get our friend Elsie expelled? And Dylan’s father fired,” she added, nodding to the boy beside her.

Again, Owen wasn’t willing to give any answers. “I already told you, I’m not a rat and there’s no way in hell I’m going to say anything to you three.”

“Look, you can tell us or you can tell the principal and get into even more trouble than you would this way. So what’s it going to be, Woodard? Do you really want that?” Emma asked, raising her eyebrows expertly. If a talent agency was standing beside her, she would have landed a role as a detective immediately. Owen hesitated. Dylan and I looked at each other hopefully.

“All right, fine. I’ll tell you,” he said. “As long as I don’t get into any shit with the principal.”

Emma released her hold on his shirt, stepped back and crossed her arms. “We can’t promise anything.”

He cleared his throat and smoothed down his shirt and vest, and adjusted his tie. “All I know is that she’s trying to get some bitch out of the school for whatever reason—”

“Don’t talk about Elsie like that,” I snapped and he quickly turned his attention to me. He looked me up and down and by the time his eyes connected with mine again, they held curiosity and intrigue.

“Who’s this?” he asked Emma, pointing to me.

Dylan, with his jaw set, stepped in front of me. “Keep talking,” he said defensively.

Owen rolled his eyes. “Anyway, Mackenzie told me that she wanted to get rid of some girl that she didn’t like, and also to have your dad fired,” he said directly to Dylan. “I don’t know, I was a little confused since I barely talk to her unless it’s at Smokers.” Apparently Smokers was a designated area across the street where all of the druggies of the school would meet up and go crazy on the bad things. “She caught me with a bag or two and said she needed my help; big deal.”

“So she got the drugs from you,” I clarified and he looked at me again, nodding.

“That’s right.”

"Did she say anything about what day she'd be putting them in his desk?"

"I think Thursday after school, but it really depends on when the cops show up," he replied.

“How much did you give her?” Emma asked.

He shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe a pound or two.”

I looked at Dylan and Emma with wide eyes. “A pound or more of drugs is considered to be with the intent of dealing; he could get a life sentence for that.”

Owen actually had the dignity to look a little bit guilty. “I didn’t mean to cause this much trouble,” he admitted.

Emma cracked her knuckles. “Did she say anything else?”

“Not really. Didn’t want to elaborate on too much, I guess, in case she thought I’d tell someone. It’s not like I care though; I barely know you guys, and I try not to know the principal.”

“You do know that if she gets caught, she’s going to bring you under as well, right?” Dylan said and Owen frowned.

“Who are you to come off saying something like that?” he asked.

“No one. I’m just telling you the truth; no matter how loyal you think Mackenzie is, she couldn’t give a shit about you if she tried. Plus . . .” Dylan stepped forward and Owen, intimidated, pressed himself firmly against the wall. “Since he’s my dad and you’re the one that supplied Mackenzie with the drugs, I have every reason to beat you up right now.”

“But you won’t,” I said, grabbing his arm and giving a tug. He looked down at me and I widened my eyes at him. “Right?”

He turned his frown back to Owen. “Just keep that in mind,” he said.

“I will.” Owen scratched the back of his head and looked at me. “What, you his girlfriend or something?”

“No,” I replied and he smirked.

“So you’re available then.”

I rolled my eyes. “Get over yourself, kid. It’s never going to happen,” I said. Emma put her hand on my back and led me away from him.

“Thanks for your time, Woodard,” she called over her shoulder to him. “By the way, you should really think about changing your habits if you actually want to have a life after high school where you’re not shoved into a jail cell.” Emma nodded for Dylan to follow us and he quickly caught up.

“Well?” I asked. “What are we going to do? This is so much worse than I thought.”

“We need to tell someone,” Emma said. “And we need to tell them now.”

“And it looks like the time couldn’t be better,” Dylan added, and we all came to a stop in the center of the hallway. The cops walked in through the front doors and I sucked in a breath.

“It looks like our time’s even more limited than we thought.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry, I am such a bitch. I disappeared for what, a month? I don’t want to use the excuse “school was crazy” but it honestly was. I’ve come up with a way to toggle easily between my writing and my classes now though, so updates should be back to normal hopefully. I’ve had to work a lot, take my G1 class lessons, do a crapload of homework, and enter a short story in a county-wide (not country-wide, county-wide) contest so yes, I’ve been very busy but I’m hoping this will make up for it. When it’s been read and the contest is over/winner is announced, I might put it up on Mibba. Maybe.
Thank you to thesillyturtle , xxblackxxrosesxx , kafarlafar , ClaudiaBiedles , and Paisley Fire for the messages. You guys rock my socks.