To Have A Love Like This

Chapter Nine

Erik POV

Getting home I kicked the first thing I saw. Who was I to care that Samantha didn’t want to spend time with me anymore. Or that she obviously stopped caring about me, or would bluntly tell me that she would avoid seeing me. My face hardened and I kicked the chair once again hearing the satisfying crack of the wood breaking.

I looked down at the little wood pieces scattered on the floor and got even angrier because I had just broken something I needed. I bent down picking the pieces thinking it was just like my heart, Samantha broke it carelessly. Not that she would ever notice that it beat for her the same way it did three years ago.

Sam POV

I couldn’t come up with the same enthusiasm that I had before lunch. My thoughts were crowded with Erik and how we both hurt each other’s feelings without much thought. At one point I accidently grabbed the wrong color hats. That took about a twenty minute argument to get them exchanged.

When I got back to Emily’s house I dumped everything on the table and went up to the guest bedroom that I was staying in. I fell on the bed wishing Sydney was here with me so she could calm me. Before I knew I had nodded off and didn’t wake up until I heard a car parking outside. Standing up I stretched and looked outside the window. David got out the car and walked up the steps to open the front door.

I walked down the stairs to the kitchen to greet David. He looked at me surprised. Smiling briefly he looked in the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.

“What are you doing here?” he asked taking a drink.

“I was out buying things for Scott’s birthday.”

“Did Emily give you that long list?” After I nodded he groaned. “We were supposed to go together.”

“Trust me you’re glad that I went and not you. You guys would have gotten home tired, irritated, hungry, and would have went to bed mad.” David thought it over for a few seconds then he nodded his agreement.

“I mean if you say so. So, if you went to buy everything on that list why are you here early?”

“It wasn’t as much as you think. I got most of it before lunch.” After taking a long sip studying her he sat on a stool still studying her.

“Where did you go to lunch?”

“I don’t know really know. It was something of restaurant, it had some good burgers.” David snapped his fingers trying to remember the place I was talking about. Finally giving up he shrugged his shoulders with a roll of his eyes.

“I remember eating at a small restaurant with good burgers with Emily but I can’t remember it now,” he smirked showing that he was teasing. I rolled my eyes. “Something happened there, didn’t it?”

“Erik had lunch with me,” I murmured.

“How did that go? Did you throw something at him? Did you argue? Did you demand someone get him out of there? Oooh tell me!” he replied excitedly. I gave him a confused look as I leaned against the counter.

“It went better than I thought it would, I threw him a dirty napkin because he made a sexual comment about going back to his place, we didn’t argue, no I didn’t demand someone throw him out. Does that answer your questions?”

“No it does not. I wanted juicy deets.” After a moment of silence he muttered more but in a lower voice. “You know, Sam, he said he could have been over you but in reality we all could see that he wasn’t. He never got another girlfriend, never went out, never wanted to go out. All he did was work at the garage.” Wrapping my arms around me I bit my lip.

“None of that is my fault.”

“Of course not. He just lied to himself I guess.” I shook my head.

“I highly doubt that. When-”

“Sam, we were here with him while you went to Minnesota. He moped around for a good while before he actually decided to get off his ass and do something. And when he did that he went to the garage where now that’s all he does.” I still shook my head not believing him. He sighed resigned. “It’s your choice to believe me. Anyway I’m going to take a shower see you later.”

After he had left I sat in the living room and waited until Emily had gotten home. Sydney ran to me once she saw I was on the couch. I opened my arms wide and she jumped into them. “Oh, honey, I missed you all day.” She cuddled into my side. I looked up at Emily and smiled.

“Where’s David?” She put Scott on the seat next to mine. Sydney stood and watched him sleep before going to the corner where Scott’s toys were and played with them.

“He went upstairs a while ago.” Scott watched the TV next to me but I doubted he understood what he was looking at so I changed it to cartoons. He smiled giggling lightly as Sydney came to sit next to him. Emily looked at them smiled and went upstairs. I sat with them until I heard Emily whisper from the first step.

“I’ll be right back.” I kissed Sydney on the head and went to Emily. David was behind her holding her hips. “Hello,” I told them. Emily bit her lip glancing back at David before looking back at me.

“Can you maybe take Scott and Sydney out for the night? It only has to be a few hours.” I scrunched up my face confused.

“What’s wrong with us staying here?” Before she could answer David interrupted.

“We want to have sex.” Emily and I gasped. She turned toward him and smacked his arm, hard. I started laughing making Emily hit me too.

“That’s rich, David. Well since y’all were honest with me I will.” Emily covered her face with her hands and David smirked pulling Emily closer.

“Well we haven’t done it in a while-”

“David, you better stop talking right now,” Emily said. I smirked at David as I crossed my arms.

“I have a question though.” Emily faced me again giving a curious look.

“Where am I supposed to take them?”

“It’s night, um well Sam you know the city. You lived here almost your whole life. Trust me it didn’t change that much. Go out and explore but you know take them with you.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Okay I guess. Why not, I mean what are the chances of seeing almost everyone from high school? Not like they would think I have two kids, right?” David rolled his eyes.

“Most of them already seen Scott, so they would think you have one,” he smirked. I shook my head.

“I’ll leave now but you have to answer one question.” When they just kept looking at me I went on. “How long has it been since you two-”

“Alright Sam you will go now.” Emily pushed me towards the living room. I chuckled at her blushing face. Sitting down on the couch again I faced Sydney and Scott.

“How would you like to go out for a while?” I asked them. Sydney agreed while Scott just kept looking at me. “Great. Stay here, alright? I’m going to go put my shoes on.”

As we were leaving Emily and David kissed the top of Scott’s head. Emily gave me the keys to her car and whispered, “About a month.” I laughed as she gave me mean look closing the door in my face. I put both Sydney and Scott in their own car seat and drove off.

Little words were passed and before I knew it both of them were asleep. I didn’t pay attention to where I was going and by the time I realized where I was it was too late to turn to another road, in another direction, to another place.

It was a lake, one that I would always come to with Erik. As I parked the car tears formed in my eyes. I wiped them away before any could fall. Putting the windows down, I turned off the car and sat in silence.

“Hey there.” I jumped looking out the window. Erik smirked at me.

“Are you stupid?” I asked him a whisper. I held my hand to my chest breathing out short breaths.

“I thought you heard me coming up. I did walk pretty loud.” He looked in the backseat and raised an eyebrow. “Any reason you have Scott here with you?” Stepping out the car I closed the door quietly.

“David and Emily wanted to have sex so they kicked me out for a few hours.” Erik threw his head and laughed.

“Don’t worry they did the same thing to me when Scott was only about five months.” He walked over to the sand and waved me over. I looked back into the car hesitant. “Again, don’t worry. We’re not going anywhere else but from here. If someone comes we’ll hear them.”

I walked slowly to him. The sand went between my toes and under my foot making it difficult to walk in sandals. I bent down picking them and left them by the grass. Erik had sat down and taking off his shoes and was in the process of rolling his pants up. I sat down but not without noticing him frown at the distance I put between us.

“You still come here often?” He crossed his legs and leaned back with his arms behind him holding his weight.

“Sometimes when I have the time.” I nodded leaning back too. We both sat in silence until Erik sat up abruptly. I looked at him surprised at his sudden move. “I know you’re going to get mad but I really want to know…” he trailed off noticing the look on my face.

“Why do you want to know?”

“Because there’s a burning curiosity inside me,” he replied sarcastically. “I just want to know.”

“And I just don’t want to tell you.” He glared at me.

“You have to tell me.” I scoffed standing up wiping the sands off my legs.

“I don’t have to tell you anything, Erik. Apparently you’re not getting through your head that what we had is over, and with that I don’t owe you anything.” He stood also but not bothering to pay attention to the sand that stuck to his jeans.

“Yes it may be over but don’t forget that we were once close. You at least have to give me some kind of idea of who you went out and did it with,” he remarked sharply. My fists balled by my sides.

“Why?” I was beyond mad. He had the nerve-

“Because you are mine dammit! And no guy should ever touch you the way I did!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of like this one. :) Is it bad if I ask that you guys please c o m m e n t?