To Have A Love Like This

Chapter Ten

Sam POV

I slapped him. Hard. The sound penetrated through the silence and his head stayed in the same position for moments. Finally looking at me his eyes held no emotion and his face expressionless.

“Mom?” I heard Sydney call out. Taking one last glance at him I rushed to the car.

“Yes, honey?” She looked up at me from the seat with wide eyes.

“What’s wrong, Mommy?” I looked back at Erik who looked back at me with same emotionless eyes. I tried to hide the shudder that passed through me as I turned back to Sydney.

“Everything is fine, sweetheart. Are you okay?” She nodded leaning up to see Erik walking towards us and smiled lightly.

“Hey you’re that guy.” The corners of his mouth turned up. Scrambling to take off her seatbelt she jumped out the car standing before Erik excitedly. She started chattering to him about her as if they’d been friends since the dawn of time.

Erik POV

I looked over at Samantha. What I got in return was her delicious looking backside that made my throat go dry. I stopped midsentence to stare at her pull Scott out of the car.

He was giggling as he played with her hair. Samantha held him high in the air and pretended to drop him. He squealed holding onto her tightly. I imagined her doing the same thing with Sydney. My stomach clenched at the thought that another man could have looked at her the same way that I was.

A hand waved in front of my face bringing me back to reality. I looked at Sydney from my crouched position. I chuckled nervously as she leaned in to whisper in my ear.

“Do you like Mommy?” Looking at her I wasn’t sure if my mouth hung open or not. She smiled somewhat satisfied with my reaction.

She should have been only around three. How could she possess the ability to read me as if she were an adult? “What is your definition of liking your mother?” I asked before I could stop myself. Before being able to answer Samantha interrupted us.

“We should get going it’s getting late.” She buckled Scott and Sydney back in the car not looking at me as she started to climb in the car herself. “I’ll see you later, Erik.” I stayed in my spot as she reversed the car and sped off.

Putting my shoes on I shook my head. Those words slipped out of my mouth that shouldn’t have. I was caught in the moment with memories flooding me. It didn’t help either with her actually being there with me. I would come back to the lake many times, and each and every time an overwhelming feeling would settle in my chest.

I walked the short distance back to my apartment. Closing the door I sighed at the pitiful sight of the broken chair leaning against the table. I walked until I was in the middle of the room. Turning in a slow circle I wondered to myself. Since when did I let life get like this?

Sam POV

I laid in bed the scene running through my head. With the more thought that I put into what Erik said the gooier I would feel inside. Oh yes I liked what he told me. In fact it pleased me immensely. I know knew that he still had some kind of feelings for me, just like I had them for him. However, I could hide them easily. Just as long as he didn’t get close to me.

In the morning I woke up in a surprisingly good mood. After waking up Sydney helping her get dressed I took my time. I heard David leave early in the morning so I knew it was just Emily in the house. Actually skipping down the steps I hummed a low tune. Emily noticed my mood and smiled.

“What’s up with you today? See a text or email or something?” I shook my head pouring myself orange juice in cup. I glanced around for Sydney spotting her parked in front of the TV with Scott.

“I don’t know,” I laughed. “I woke up feeling pretty damn good.” She raised an eyebrow.

“Did something happen last night?” My smile faltered a little and she pounced on that. Crossing her arms she put on her no nonsense look.

“I couldn’t help myself, I went to the lake.” Making sure that Sydney wasn’t paying attention I went on. “Erik was there. We talked and I ended up slapping him.”

“Why did you slap him?” Briefly telling her the story her eyes widened with each sentence. Pacing from one end of the counter to the other she asked, “So he said that a guy can’t even tap you on the shoulder because you’re his?”

“Basically,” I sighed. She squealed giving me a hug, one that wasn’t returned. Frowning she asked what was wrong. “Three years ago, Emily, he told me that never again did he want something to do with me. I cried myself to sleep for a month straight. As soon as I had told him stupid hello he blurted it out, which brings me back to why I didn’t tell him about Sydney. He wouldn’t have believed me and thought less of me than he probably already did.”

“And what if he did believe you?” she countered. I gave her a slanted look rolling my eyes.

“Highly doubtful, but you know what? I’m happy he broke up with me. I focused on what I wanted, career wise, and I accomplished it. I didn’t have to worry about him.” Biting her lip she furrowed her brow.

“Of course you took care of Sydney too but I mean you don’t have any feelings for him now?” I knew I couldn’t hide anything from Emily. She would figure it out later and accuse me of lying to her. Which I would do but that’s not the point.

“I wouldn’t be telling the truth if I said no but it doesn’t matter. Erik is old news and I don’t want to deal with him ever again.”

“What about Sydney?” Turning to look at her I bit the inside of my cheek.

“Out there is Mr. Right for me, and I know he would be a great father.”

“Shouldn’t she at least know who her real father is?” I didn’t answer the question.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope it's good.