To Have A Love Like This

Chapter Two

Sam POV

When I got off of work I went to a little café to pick up a coffee before I had to pick up Sydney and go home. I parked the car in the packed parking lot. When I walked inside I noticed the line shorter than the people waiting to get what they ordered. From the amount of noise I could tell a machine was broken or something. I looked at the time on my phone. Biting my lip, I debated if I should stay and wait or just go straight to get Sydney.

I walked outside opening my phone and going to my contacts lists. I went down until I found the daycare center’s number. It rang three times before someone answered, “Hello?” The voice was tired and out of breath, but I could instantly tell who it was.

“Hey there, Jessie. How are you doing today?” She blew out a short breath as her answer. I laughed replying, “Anyway I was wondering how many kids need to be picked up?” I could hear her counting the heads of the kids.

“About five, why? Are you coming late today?” I suppressed a groan from coming out of my lips.

“I was just wondering. I’m on way over now.” We talked for a couple of more minutes before we hung up. When I got there I could still hear some chatter inside the building. I walked in and immediately spotted the blonde hair of my baby girl. When she saw me, she ran up to me.

“Mommy! Mommy! Mommy, look!” I bent down to my knees; she showed me a picture of the cliché two stick figures with the labels mom and me.

“Aw, look at that. That’s beautiful, honey.” She smiled brightly giving me a hug. Jessie made her way over to me. She handed me Sydney’s bag.

“She was good today.” I smiled thankfully. We talked for a couple more minutes before we left. On our way home, Sydney chattered about what she did during the day. I ‘ohhed’ and ‘awed’ and giggled at the appropriate times. When we got home she jumped out of the car and ran up the steps.

“C’mon, mommy! You’re so slow.” I shook my head, chuckling. I opened the door. When we went Sydney jumped on the couch. “Come here.” She patted the seat beside her.

“Tell you what, how about we go change then we can sit down? Does that sound good for you?” She nodded running to her room. “Do you need help?” I yelled after her. I heard her reply no. I went to my room. I picked out sweats and a baggy shirt. When I went back in the living room Sydney was already seated with a teddy bear in hand. How she managed to change that fast surprised me. I pulled her to my lap. “Is there anything you wanted to talk about, sweetie?”

“Today the other kid’s daddies came and picked them up.” I sighed. I didn’t want to have this conversation but I knew I needed to have it.

“That’s good. Why do you bring that up?” She scrunched up her face. A habit she got from her father, something I hated to admit.

“Why doesn’t a daddy come to pick me up?” My heart crushed. She looked up at me. “Why don’t I have a daddy?”

“You do have a daddy, honey.” I was burying myself in deep hole. The next thing she’s going to ask-

“I want to see him, mommy.” Fuck… “Call him right now!” She jumped on the floor with a huge smile.

“I… I can’t right now, honey.” Her face fell. Her pout almost made me cave.

“But, why not? I want to see him.” I could see a fit coming this way.

“It’s complicated right now, some grown up things.” She stomped her foot running to her room. I leaned back. This could not be happening right now. My phone rang from my room. I got up running to make sure I got the call in time. I looked at the screen.

“Hello?”

“Oh my God! When are you coming?” I groaned.

“Hey Emily.” She instantly started chatting on what we were going to do when I went back with Sydney. I saw Sydney come out of her room. She walked to where the living room was before coming to my room. She had her little book bag on. I gave her confused look.

“I’m leaving you.” She turned and walked away.

“Who’s that?” I heard Emily. I ran and picked up her up. She squirmed in my arm.

“Mommy! Let me go! I’m leaving!” Emily gasped and started screaming into the phone hoping to get Sydney’s attention. And sure enough it did. She stopped and looked at the phone. She went to grab it but I held it back. I put her down. She looked at me with a pout.

“I thought you were leaving. Would you like me to escort you to the door?”

“What’s a escort?” Emily snorted through the phone.

“I’ll talk to you later, Emily.” I was about to hang up when she started screaming again. She wanted to talk to Sydney. Sydney hearing smiled her special smile that could make me cave and held her hands up. I groaned, hesitantly giving her the phone.

“Hello?” Sydney spoke into the receiver. I couldn’t hear what Emily was telling her but I knew it wasn’t good by the smile she had on her face. “Okay, bye!” She closed the phone giving it to me.

“What did she say,” I asked.

“I’m going to get my stuff, momma.” With that she went back to her room. I looked at her back, my mouth hanging open in shock. I have an idea now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Very short and fillerish. Anyone wanna give ideas? Thanks for the comments! They made my day.

Comment, please?