To Have A Love Like This

Chapter Three

Sam POV

When I opened my eyes, I instantly wished I could just close them and go back to sleep. Of course by the way Sydney was standing on the side of the bed watching me I couldn’t do that. When I caught her eye she smiled widely climbing on top of the bed.

“Momma!” she pulled the covers back and climbed in next to me. She cuddled into my side.

“How was your sleep, honey?”

“Good, I think. I didn’t.” I furrowed my eyebrows in concern.

“Why is that? Are you okay? Is something wrong?” she giggled.

“I want today to get here,” she rattled on about the things we would do when we went back. Finally, she quieted down. “And I want to see dad.” I froze. “I’m gonna get ready.” She got off the bed. “I can do it myself.” I heard her little footsteps run down the hall. I shoved my face in my pillow. I hate today.

When I finally lifted my body from the bed I stretched my arms high in the air. I suddenly got the image that a pair of arms wrapped around my middle. A face nuzzled in my neck, and a husky voice whispered, “Morning beautiful.” Not just any voice, Erik’s voice. My eyes snapped open.

“Sydney has been mentioning him too much.” I told myself. I walked into the bathroom to get ready. When I walked out I heard nothing. Ignoring putting on my shoes I walked in the kitchen.

“Hey, Sydney, where are you?” I yelled into the hallway. I heard noise in the living room. I slowly walked around the corner. Sydney giggled whispering in my phone. “What are you doing?” she jumped up.

“Gotta go,” she hung up.

“You’re three years old, how can you be talking like that?” I put my hands on my hips. She smiled sweetly shrugging her shoulders. Someone knocked on the door not letting her answer me. I walked and opened the door. Jessie grinned from the other side. “Hey, come in.”

“Jessie, how are you?” Sydney and she talked while I went to get the final things we would need for the plane ride back to Emily’s. I grabbed my and Sydney’s suitcases walking back.

“I think we need breakfast before we leave,” I told Jessie.

“Which is why I came early, I’m surprised you guys were ready. We could have some pancakes at the little diner that’s always open. It’s close to the airport so we won’t drive much.” I agreed. Sydney watched as Jessie and I put the suitcases in the trunk of the car.

“Sydney has to have a car seat.”

“That’s fine; I always carry an extra with me since some parents can’t pick up their kids when the daycare closes.”

“Do you have a close relationship with every parent,” I asked incredulous. She laughed shaking her head no. We chattered on our way to the little diner. When we got there a chirpy waitress gave us a booth.

“Hello, welcome, can I start you with anything to drink?” After she got our drinks we sat back relaxing.

“So are you excited about going Sydney,” Jessie asked.

“Yeah a lot,” she didn’t look up from the coloring pages she was given. Jessie mouthed something to me but I couldn’t understand her. I gave her a confused which she mouthed it again. I still didn’t get it. She sighed annoyed. “Mommy,” I looked at Sydney.

“Yes, honey?” She put her crayon down and looked seriously at me.

“Are plane scary?”

“No, where did you hear that?” She shrugged looking at Jessie then at me quickly. My eyes widened.

“Jess did you tell Sydney that planes were scary?” She gave Sydney a shocked expression.

“You weren’t supposed to tell her I told you. And that look thing you did so did tell her. Sometimes I envy how mature you are. We adults can’t talk without you understanding.” She flipped her hair exasperated. I couldn’t help but giggle along with Sydney.

“That’s good that she’s mature.” She nodded after a minute.

“That’s true.” The waitress came back with our drinks. After ordering we talked for the rest time we were there. On our way to the airport I felt my stomach turning into knots. I didn’t know what was going to happen. Emily kept reassuring me that I had nothing to worry about but no one was ever a hundred percent sure.

Once we passed security and bordered the plane I didn’t have anything to do but wring my hands and look out the window. Sydney was put in a similar version of a car seat. Her little hand squished my fingers as the plane ascended in the air.

She giggled like it was nothing when she let my fingers go and they were red with her finger imprints. After ten minutes in silence her head drooped to the side and her eyes closed. I stared at her for a few minutes. It was rare that I could observe her face without her making a face. She had the same nose, eyes, eyebrows, everything was like Erik’s. It pulled at my heart strings.

I pulled out my laptop from my carry-on. I booted it up putting in headphones. I didn’t like not having them in. I always feel like the computer will make a sound and everyone would hear it. I log into my email checking it. I clicked the one from Emily first.

From: Emily&David@hotmail.com
To: JustSam@hotmail.com
Topic: When you get here!

When you get off, you’re supposed to leave out the 7th terminal. David and I are going to be waiting there. I know you aren’t going to like him seeing Sydney but I couldn’t do anything about it. Well I could but I swore him to secrecy. He’s going to help hide her from Erik. Just to let you know I don’t approve of the fact that you’re going to be hiding her while you’re here.

You are going to go in a rental car. Follow us to my mom’s house so we can have my mom babysit her, if you want.

I don’t know if Erik will be at my house when we there. So I wanted to make sure that your condition was met. I can’t wait till you get here! Sorry I had to say that. Anyway, I’m almost sure that Erik will be at the garage working on yet another car. But you know.

I think that’s it. Let me see: 1. Where you getting off. 2. Where Sydney would be. 3. David is going to be there. 4. What you are going in. 5. Where Erik will be. That should be it.

Oh! The plane ride will take two to three hours. I calculated it for you since I was bored and excited. Bye now!!!


I looked at the time. I’ve got quite a while to sit on this seat. I checked the rest of the mail before I sat back realizing had nothing to do. The computer was making me claustrophobic, so I put it away. I closed my eyes.

“Excuse me, Miss?” I looked at the air attendant. I smiled politely.

“Yes, can I help you?” She was in the usual blue outfit.

“I just wanted to ask you if you needed anything. I had seen that you just closed your eyes so I know that you weren’t asleep. If you were I wouldn’t have bothered you.” Her actions seemed fidgety. I tilted my head to the side.

“I’m fine, thank you. Can I ask you something? Why are you nervous? I’m not trying to be rude or anything but you could see it.” I gulped. Her nametag read Aimee.

“Oh is it noticeable? This is my first flight, I just got this job. I’m being observed by almost every other person in this damn uniform.” I laughed.

“Just a little. Are the uniforms uncomfortable?” I asked. She nodded furiously.

“You know how in the movies all the ladies walk around like it nothing? Well in reality not every person can walk in this tight skirt. Look at it.” She giggled while I was having a loud laughing fit. Other passengers looked at me oddly. I put my hand other my mouth to try to quiet myself down. “Anyways, who is this pretty little lady sitting next to you?” She looked at Sydney.

“This is my daughter Sydney. She’s three years old.” I smiled proudly.

“You look too young to have a daughter. I bet you’re not over twenty-five.”

“I’m only twenty. I had her when I was seventeen.”

Erik POV

“Fuck!” I looked at my hand. It was bleeding from the long slash on my right palm. I put the wrench down and walked to the office. David was on the phone whispering to no doubt Emily. Mike, the owner of the garage, looked up at me from the computer.

“What did you do this time?” he asked with his raspy voice from years of smoking. David looked at me and bit back a smile.

“I didn’t do anything. That damn car did.” He laughed standing up from the chair. I followed him down the hallway to the next room. He knocked twice before entering. The nurse looked up and smirked.

“Oh Erik, when are you going to learn to be more careful? One of these days you’re going to do some real damage that is going to leave you in the hospital.” She looked at my hand.

“I hope one of those days will be later. He puts more time in than anybody else. You don’t find workers like him anywhere,” Mike said from the doorway. She cocked an eyebrow at him.

“What, you mean a person without a life?” Her words were harsh but I learned to not care about them anymore.

“No, he’s just very dedicated.” She snorted.

“My ass-”

“Is amazing,” he interrupted. I closed my eyes groaning.

“Can you guys just wait until I’m outta here so you can hump each other?” It didn’t take much to see that they had the hots for each other. Beth, the nurse, blushed smacking me in the arm.

“Shut up, you’re too young to be thinking those kinds of things.”

“I’m twenty-one. I think I’m of the appropriate age,” I smirked. Mike soon left leaving the door open. He tended to like to come back. It was quiet as she cleaned the cut and put a bandage around it.

“There you go, sweetie.” She smiled putting all the things away.

“Thank you,” I told her. I walked back to the office. Emily was there giving David a hug.

“Hey Erik, what time are you getting out today?” she asked when she spotted me. I shrugged.

“I’m not sure, when the garage closes. Why?”

“I was just asking. Are you going to our house tonight?” David had to go to get his stuff so he didn’t spot me.

“I don’t think so tonight. I’m really tired.” She nodded. David came back looking down trying to fold his outfit.

“Hey, babe, you ready to go?”

“Where are you guys going?” Emily looked at me with slightly wide eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its been a long time! Well here it is. I hope you like.