To Have A Love Like This

Chapter Eight

Sam POV

Lunch went by smoother than I thought it would. A few awkward silences would pass but it wasn’t anything that would ruin lunch. After that moment where Erik muttered to himself he acted different. He would catch my eye something in there that was trying to tell me something and I couldn’t figure out what it was.

When he finally noticed that I wasn’t getting his message he sighed and gave up, but I did catch him staring at me for moments before biting into his burger. The waiter bounced our way happily handing us our bill with a smile.

“Did you guys enjoy the food?” I nodded rubbing my stomach. Erik’s eyes snapped to my hand. As soon as I stopped he met my gaze, the same emotion swimming in his eyes. His shook his head looking at the waitress and smiling.

“The food was great, you know as always Isabelle,” he replied for himself. The wave of jealously caught me by surprise. The look she gave him made me, unexpectedly, put my hand over Erik’s as if to make a statement. I leaned forward putting my chin on the other hand on the table.

“Didn’t think a burger could be that good,” I told Isabelle. She grinned pretending not to notice my hand.

“I hope to see you here again.” After giving us one more smile she walked away to attend another table. Erik grabbed my hand and pulled, my other hand slipped and my head fell. I scowled at him grabbing my bag, going through it for money.

“You know, Samantha, my apartment is not that far away?” I looked at him confused. He wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive manner. I scoffed throwing him a dirty napkin. His chuckled grabbing the bill and standing up stretching. I stood also reaching for the paper in his hand.

“What are you doing?” He held it out of my reach.

“Paying for our food, I don’t think we could do a dine-and-dash. Too little people and I’m kind of known here.” I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not going to let you pay for my meal.” He looked at me for all of ten seconds before sprinting for the cash register. I glared at his back walking towards him. We exited the restaurant walking a few steps when I turned toward him.

“Well thanks for lunch, I guess. I’ll see you whenever I can’t avoid it,” I told him. He bit his lip looking thoughtful.

“What are you doing today?” I took a step back.

“Getting some stuff for Emily. I’m really busy, I have stuff to do.” I took another step back. Hurt flashed across Erik’s eyes and for a second I stopped mid step.

“Do you need any help?” I shook my head taking yet another step.

“Nope I got it.” He nodded shoving his hands into his jean pockets. A memory slammed straight into me.

Erik and I were sitting on the swings at the park. The summer heat bore down on us. “Samantha, can I ask you a question?” I looked at Erik.

“Sure can, what’s up?” He shoved his hands into his jeans.

“Umm…. Want to go get some ice cream?” I nodded standing up. We walked in silence toward an ice cream shop. When he didn’t say anything I turned to him.

“You know Erik I know you weren’t going to ask me if I wanted some ice cream.” He shrugged looking at me from under his lashes.

“I know but I was hoping you wouldn’t call me out on it.” I shrugged myself. After a moment he murmured lowly, “Do you think I’m cool? I mean, like, do you like me?”

“Of course I like you.”

“I mean like more than just friends.” When I didn’t reply he shoved his hands deeper in his pockets. “Forget about it. Just pretend like I never even asked.” I stopped walking and waited for him to stop too and turn to me.

“No, I will not pretend like you didn’t ask me if I liked you more than friends. In fact I will answer.” Erik licked his lips shaking his head.

“It’s alright really. I didn’t mean for it to come out like that. I’ll just ask you whenever I find a better way to ask you.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well when you find a different way to ask me ask it then, but right now I’m going to answer the way you asked right now. Do I think you’re cool? Of course. Do I like you more than friends? I thought you already knew but yes I do.” Red covered his cheeks as he looked everywhere but at me.

“Okay.” I walked back to next to him pushing him to the side.

“Don’t be scared to ask me something, Erik.” He chuckled starting to walk forward again. “I noticed something that you do.” I pointed out. He looked waiting for me to go on. “Whenever you get nervous you put your hands in your pockets.” He looked down at his hands taking them out slowly.

“My mom says I do it whenever I get nervous or hurt.” I gave him a confused look. “I don’t know how she got that but she did and she told me that I’ve had that habit ever since I was little.”

“Aw that’s cute. I mean the habit thing that you’ve had.” He laughed shrugging his shoulders.


Hands on my shoulders shook me. I snapped to this afternoon after lunch with Erik. He looked at me wearily. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine I just went into space for a second.” He nodded step backing.

“Okay, well I guess I’ll see you later. Goodbye.” He turned and started to walk away. I felt bad as his shoulders slumped and his hands were once again in his pockets. Obviously I had hurt him instead of made him nervous.

“Hey, Erik?” I called making him turn to me.

“Yeah?”

“Want to join me as I finish buying everything?” He looked down for a second.

“No thanks I’m good. See you later.” With that he walked away. Now he just hurt me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Way too late and it sucked. :/ sorry about that