The Wolf

3 / 3

It wasn't much longer until the Wolf had his pack of followers descend upon the colony of squirrels. Using their swift movements and sharp intellect, the squirrels managed to live, if not barely. Multiple squirrels would take on one wolf, running between its legs and climbing up to its head. It was daring, but it was the only thing they were able to do to ensure that they would survive.

The deer were cornered in their own territory; lucky if they even survived the next day. They were continuously trampled by the wolves who continued to seemingly come out of nowhere. One deer, a noble doe named Alis, stood front and center as the Wolf's threats of complete annihilation became more and more severe.

Ruta found another colony of her own people and kept up their defenses. While her leg was slowly healing, she used her strong bill to bite any wolf that came near. Kirili, the leader of the beavers, prepared every last one of his colony for the war against the wolves, vultures, and snakes. The foxes prepared multiple underground uprisings as did the ducks and the deer.

Every beast in The Woods was involved. Everyone from the large bucks who leaped into action to the smallest worm that slithered across the paws of the wolves. Every day, it would seem that the Foderati, the squirrels, the deer, the beavers, the ducks, and the foxes, would win a battle but it would be followed by another attack from the Axem, the wolves, the vultures, and the snakes. These secondary attacks were brutal because when the Foderati were even slightly tired from the wolves, the vultures would swoop down and finish the job.

The snakes went after other targets.There were other animals on the other side of the pond that these ground dwellers had their eye on. There were chipmunks, rabbits, and field mice galore but there was one animal that the snakes truly wanted to attack. One that had been sleeping for a very long time.

-----

In a cave beyond the pond that practically separated The Woods into two, there slept a giant bear. His name was Jugra and a mighty bear he was. Built the size of a tank, his claws were as long as your index finger and his teeth ran the length of your hand. His mouth was so big that when he yawned, your entire head could fit comfortably inside. Of course, this bear was not violent by nature. If the need to be so had arisen, yes, he would act, but he mostly isolated himself from the rest of the world.

His slumber was interrupted though when he heard a hissing noise that could have only been from one creature. A snake he thought bitterly as he opened his eyes to look around. He took one step out of the cave and right then a snake lunged at him and bared its fangs. The bear, shocked, took a swing at the creature but it darted out of the way. Gliding easily against the bare rock of the cave, the snake bit at the bear's back paw. Jugra roared in pain and stumbled.

The snake only gave him a bitter glance toward the bear, filled with hubris, and slithered away from Jugra.

The bear sat at the entry of his cave for a while, waiting for the pain to stop. This wasn't by chance. he thought. Being close to the pond, he looked out across it and watched the land beyond it. He had thought the recent noise of the animals were natural; that they were only hunting for food. As he looked longer, he realized that it wasn't like that at all. It was the way the animals were fighting. The velocity of the battle showed that the struggle wasn't for individual survival. It was for the survival of many.

So, Jugra assembled all of the courage he had and swam across the pond to join the others. One of the first things he saw was a tiny little bird, lying on the ground. He bent down and nudged the little thing with one of his paws and said in his deep voice, "Wake up."

The bird, a young one Jugra thought, only opened one eye and pleaded, "Help," before he drifted off to some other Wood.

With an angry heart, the bear met up with a small little creature named Winston. Before Jugra went out to battle, the squirrel said to him with a heavy heart, "Welcome to Hell."

-----

It was over.

A girl with blonde locks of curls walked to the edge of The Woods; having neither a clue nor an idea of what had happened the day before. When she felt a faint drizzle on top of her head, she drew up her red hood and walked in further. She gasped in fright at what she saw.

There stood one squirrel that was missing a part of an ear, a vulture with an obviously broken wing, a duck who seemed barely able to walk, a fox who limped, a doe, a snake, a beaver, and a little bird that all laid down on the forest floor, breathing deeply, and a bear who hung his head low. The girl was frightened but puzzled at the same time. Why they didn't attack her, she'll never know. What really astounded her was when the squirrel ran towards her and stood up on its back paws.

"Hello, Miss." he said.

"I must be crazy." she said.

"No, Miss. It is not you who are crazy. It is us. We've fought a great battle here yesterday. The creature who had done terrible things here is dead but by his own paw, so to speak."

"I'm very sorry." said the girl. "Why are you telling me this?"

The squirrel, a pebble compared to the girl before him, looked behind him at the other animals. After a long pause, he turned back to the girl and whispered, "So you can make sure this never happens again."