Status: in progress

Three Blind Mice

The Wells House

Mike Duncan
The Wells House

Mike Duncan looked firmly at the man standing across from him. Bill Fowler, his superior, was glaring intensely at the young officer. “No can do, Sir.” Duncan’s voice was stern and confident. “I am sorry, but I don’t think we have enough evidence to make this kind of move.” Duncan couldn’t believe his own words. Was he really going to risk his life for a stranger like Alex Lordon? If he thought it would serve justice, in a second.

Fowler’s eyes burrowed into the younger man. “ You are out of line, Duncan. If the chief were hearing this, you’d be off the force.” The older man was fuming with anger. Who did Duncan think he was? That rookie couldn’t catch a cold, let alone a killer. Partnering with him was just downright disgraceful for a senior officer like Bill Fowler. “And Don’t talk to me about evidence, green horn! We have two missing children , a dead wife, and a bad marriage. Not to mention that little surprise we got when we checked up his little alibi.”

Duncan’s face fell at the mention of the events from last night. He had to admit that it looked bad for Mr. Lordon. It had started when he went to pay Jennifer Wells a visit to ask some questions. He went looking for a lead, but all he found was another horror show. Blood was everywhere, and there was a body in the bedroom. Looked just like the scene at the Lordon house. Only difference ifs they couldn’t get a positive ID on the body. For someone you could find in any phone book, Jennifer Wells was quite the recluse. No living family, employers or customers, and none of the neighbors ever saw her.

Those same factors narrowed down suspects. No one knew her well enough to have a motive. Alex admitted he was there the night she died, and fowler was right to say that was enough evidence to take him in. still, something felt off. He knew it was stupid to trust his instinct s over evidence, but he couldn’t help it. He didn’t know how to prove it, but Alex Lordon was innocent. “ If you do make this sting, bill, don’t expect me to be in on it. I will not put an innocent man in prison.”

“You really think that’s what I’m doing, rookie? You aren’t worth taking with me!” Officer Fowler left the station n a huff, leaving Mike Duncan standing alone. He didn’t know if this was the right decision, but it was the one he had made. He took a seat on a nearby chair, and thought back to the scene at Jennifer Wells’ home, and to the very moment he knew that Alex Lordon was innocent.

He still remembered the blood. He didn’t think that he would ever forget the blood, even if he lived to be a hundred years old. It was like the Lordon house all over again. It was on the floor, the walls, everywhere. Finally he couldn’t look at her any longer. He turned around and went to leave the scene, but suddenly he heard something fall behind him.

He spun on his heels, and saw that a picture frame had fallen. He bent down and picked it up. Suddenly, another object fell. This time a book from the bookshelf in the corner. Then another book fell, and another. Now the room began to shake, and Officer Duncan hit the ground, thinking it was an earthquake. Soon objects were flying across the room, and there was pandemonium. The lamp fell from the nightstand and broke on the ground. A fire started as the bulb broke, and Duncan tried to run for the door. Objects pelted him from behind.

Then he saw it. A tiny object hanging from the doorknob. A tiny white mouse was nailed in place, and it’s eyes had been gouged out. The tiny creature was all but skeletal, and seemed to have died quite some time ago. If that was the case, the why was it’s leg twitching. Duncan stopped for a moment, transfixed, as the little creature began to squirm and move. The heat of the fire brought back his senses, and mike Duncan rushed forward and grabbed the struggling creature, ripping it from the door. Instantly it was still. A moment later, Duncan realized that the fire had stopped. He turned around, and saw the room was just as it had been when he arrived. It was as if the fire and the falling objects had never happened.

He never told his superiors what had happened, but at that moment he knew that Alex Lordon could not be guilty. Whatever had killed those women, it couldn’t have been him. It was something much worse. And if his experience was anything to go by, it wasn’t yet over. Something was going on, and he wanted to know what. All he knew was that Alex Lordon could help him. He was the only one who could help him. And he was on his way to a cell right now.

Officer Duncan pulled the mouse out of his pocket, and ran his eyes over it. This was a clue. It was the only clue he had. He couldn’t lose it. He had to hold onto it no matter what. Mike Duncan stood up and went to the door. He could at least check on Bill. He had to know when Lordon was in custody. He left the building, got into his car, and drove off toward the Lordon residence.

As the house came into view, Duncan began to get a sinking feeling. The capture should have been done by now. The scene was instead one of a large, disorganized mob searched the house while Officer Fowler shouted into a two way radio. He parked his car and jogged up to his partner. Fowler was shouting at him before Duncan had a chance to speak.

“Well what do you know? The greenhorn decides to show!” His tone was intentionally nasty, and Duncan knew it. “Well, it’s too little, too late. Your friend got away.” Shock spread over Officer Duncan’s face. Within himself, he felt a slight relief. IF he could find him before the police, then Lordon could help him.