The Prince of Ice

Shattered Memories

"Come on Dimitri your too slow!" the little girl called ahead as he staggered to keep up. It was a hot day even for New York Standards, kids were practically hanging out their apartment windows trying to get a none existent breeze so to say.

Dimitri looked ahead to Valory his sister as she stopped near the bus stop up ahead. She was 15 years old, and looked just like mom. They were going to be late again because of him, and this time Valory had swore to him that if she was late ever again she would make him sorry. Hiking up his bag he ran over nearly falling head long into the bus stop pole.

"Slow down small fry!" she laughed as he straitened himself out. She smiled down at him and helped him fix the strap of his book bag before the bus pulled in to a stop. They both boarded the cool city bus and took a seat near the front. The ride was long so Dimitri found himself dreaming on about today.

"Today is my day right Valory!" Dimitri smiled up at his older sister. Today was his birthday and he wanted everything to be perfect, today was the day he was turning five. Valory looked down o her little brother and smiled, he blue eyes lightning up. "Yup todays your day all right, so don't mess it up!" she teased as the bus slowly halted at their stop. Taking his hand she eased him out of the bus and onto the sidewalk.

Haywood Elementary school was a massive swarm of kids. All of them talking and laughing. Dimitri went to school here while Valory went to school at Haywood High just a few blocks down. Valory hurried him along the crowd so he wouldn't be late enough as he was.

Outside the classroom Valory stopped him from going in, "Listen Dimitri I might not be going home with you today okay." Dimitri looked up at her, her eyes were clouded over she was thinking about something.

"Why?"

She looked down on him and smiled, "Well it might have something to do with your birthday party, but I guess you'll have to find out all on your own now won't you?"

The bell rang as she turned on her heel and walked back out the door. Se waved goodbye and smiled back at him as she left. He wished he had called her back, he wished he had said something more. If he had know the next time he would see her face would be from a mangled corpse, bloodied and torn to pieces he would have called her back to him.

Dimitri awoke to My Chemical Romance on his radio. For a while he just lay there staring up at the ceiling as My Chemical Romance "Helen" dragged on. Cars and traffic could be heard building up outside his window, as he dragged himself from his bed and to the bathroom. Flicking on the light he stepped over to the mirror and began is daily ritual of washing up. Staring back in the mirror he could see himself, no different than he went to sleep. His skin, tanned to a sort of light bronze, his hair black long and curly. His eyes were a deep sea green and his mouth twisted into a permanent frown. He walked back into his room and threw on a pair of old faded jeans and a black tee. Today was the his day, the day he was born and everyone else died.

He frowned at the recent dream he had, it was of Valory again, he had tried already so hard banish her from his thoughts. He was already haunted about it, he never forgave himself for destroying her.

A sudden knock at the door made him snap back from his thoughts.

"Yo Vane. Rents due, when you gonna pay up!" Mr. Rossolo the land lord said as Dimitri walked from the bathroom threw the living room to the front door. Peaking out threw the chain he sighed, the fat old Italian was making him pay for this rat hole he called an apartment.

"This afternoon Mr. Rossolo you know I keep my word." he said calmly as he shut the door again before letting him have an answer. Looking around him, the walls were an ugly Grey and falling apart. Walking back into the living room he plopped himself down onto the old couch and looked around. He'd have to move soon, to track the horde he'd been seeing to for the last few weeks. A horde of monsters have been accumulating in the area and it was his job to stop it.

Dimitri laughed a little, "A job, like I applied for it" he thought darkly as he reached over from the poor beaten up couch onto the end table. There he picked up a frame. It was a simple picture, it was of him, his mother and his sister Valory. Around the three of them was his grandparents his aunts and uncles, the whole family was there. He was about four when this picture was taken, and he remembered only a few fragments of that day. The warm sun, the smell of sea water and his mothers laugh was all he could pull up as he placed the frame back down and started on his work.

Taking extra care to sharpen his blade Dimitri worked diligently. It had taken him years to perfect his technique on swords and daggers. At the wholesome age of 15 he knew how to slice destroy and kill any living creature. Normal guns and weaponry won't work on them it just fizzled up in there aura. And mortals couldn't see them because they were to blind or ignorant to see at all.

But Dimitri wasn't mortal, he was a demi-god, son of Poseidon God of the sea. And he was a killer, he knew that he had already seen countless die.

"Not at my hands" he reminded himself as he opened the door his bag filled with the essentials. Mr. Rossolo was outside his door waiting for him. A stout man no bigger than Dimitri he stepped in front of him blocking his way.

"And where do you think your going bub!? Rent is rent so are you gonna pay up or what?" He snarled

With black greasy hair and a little pug like face and eyes he wasn't that much of a threat, but Dimitri didn't want to hear it today. With a swift snap of his fingers Mr. Rossolo's eyes lost focus as he stood in front of him.

"What are you talking about Mr. Rossolo my rent isn't due for another month" Dimitri said innocently as he side stepped him and went out the dirty apartment doors.

"Oh yeah right" was all he could mutter but Dimitri was already gone.

................................................to be continued.....................................................
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you all think??? A good beginning or a bad one? You be the judge! I know its kinda long, but its well worth it. Besides whats a story without substance. Me, I'm just gonna keep at it and hope I here something soon!

See ya!!