A Shot in the Dark

One.

My speedometer read 95 miles per hour. I was going 30 miles over the speed limit and as my fast as my environmentally friendly, compact car could go without combusting on itself. I had to get away, as fast as possible. I’m not sure where I’m going or what I’m going to do, but it has to be better than being in that house. The house full of smoke, hatred, and abuse, the house I will never go back to. It’s been the same daily routine ever since I can remember, wake up for school, go to school, come home, and do chores, all night. If the chores weren’t done right the beatings would take place. The more chores that were incomplete, the worse the beating was. After 18 years I just couldn’t take it anymore and I ran away.

The water is beginning to fill my eyes, I can’t stop it this time, I just have to get it out. I have to let myself cry all the tears that have been held up for the last thirteen years. Crying was a deadly sin in my house that would get you at least five whips with a belt. It was something you never did, no matter how badly you wanted to.

The tears were flowing from eyes like a waterfall. I could barely see where I was going. In the distance I could make out a road sign that read “Newark, 2 miles Exit 21B”. I knew where I was going to go. Thank God it wasn’t too much farther, my eyes were bloodshot, my hair was wet with the remains of my salty tears, and I had almost chewed a whole through the sleeve of my hoodie. It’s a nervous habit of mine, chewing on things. I think I picked it up because it was a way to pass the time when I was scared of what he would do next, but I’m not sure.

I merged into the right lane and took the exit ramp to the stoplight. I slowly debated to myself whether I should go right, left, or straight. The sign tells me that going right will lead me downtown, going left will lead me to houses, and going straight will take me back to the highway. Obviously I wasn’t going to go straight. Eenie, meenie, minie, moe, catch a – *BOOM!* My simple game of choosing directions was cut short by a loud noise and lots of metal bending. I could feel my car move at least 10 feet in front of me.

This is just fucking great. I really do not have the money to get this fixed. What kind of a dumbass hits a car that is stuck at a stoplight? Seriously, that takes mega idiot skills.

I pried open the driver’s side door and got out of my car. As I turned around to see of the idiot that hit me had gotten out of his car yet, I lock eyes on the most gorgeous boy I have ever seen. His brown hair is straightened and plastered to his face, but it looks nice, his hazel eyes are covered up behind glasses, and the sad puppy look that is gracing his face makes him look that much cuter, even if he did just hit me.

I pushed my long, dark blonde hair out of my face and tucked it behind my ears, removing the usual shield from in front of my blue eyes. My eyes are my biggest insecurity, even though everyone tells me they’re one of my best features. If a person can see into your eyes he can see into your heart, and that’s how they get you. Hence, the long bangs to cover my eyes.

“Hey there, I’m Mikey. I’m really sorry about your car. I’ve called the insurance company and they’re going to send a tow truck. I’ll take care of it all, don’t worry about it,” he smiled.

“I’m Brindley,” I smiled back. “It’s no big deal, thanks for taking care of it.”

“No big deal?” He seemed rather shocked. “I just creamed your car, while you were dead stopped. How the hell I managed that I’ll never know. All I remember was talking to my brother on the phone because we’re meeting up for lunch soon, and then I hit you.”

“Oh, that’s cute. Two brothers on a lunch date,” I teased him. I mean, he did just hit my car, the least I can do is tease him a little.

“It’s not a lunch date, per say. Actually, we’re meeting up with two of our other friends to talk about our band,” he laughed.

“Oh, you’re in a band? That’s cool. What kind of music do you play?” I asked him as I sat on the curb, it’s not like I had anything better to do. I grabbed my knees and pulled them in close.

“Punk,” he was smiling as he answered. I could tell he was proud of that little fact.

“That’s awesome, I’d love to hear you guys play sometime.”

“Really?” His eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his head.

“Yes, really,” I smiled up at him.

“The tow truck is going to be here soon, if you need anything out of your car you better get it,” he said.

“Shit.”

‘What’s the problem?” He looked confused.

“I have a lot of stuff in the car. About four suitcases and three boxes full, to be exact,” I was looking at the ground.

I can’t believe I was telling a total stranger this. Now I was going to have to explain what I’m doing. Brindley Elizabeth why did you have to go and open your big mouth, now you’re going to have to tell a total stranger about your situation. Bad girl.

“Well, why don’t we put it all in my car?”

“I don’t want to burden you, you have your lunch thing. And I’m not really sure where I’m going.”

“You’re not sure where you’re going?” This Mikey kid really looked confused now.

“I-I-I-I r-r-ran a-away from h-home” I stuttered, trying to hold the tears back. It was too late, once again tears were cascading down my face and drowning me in my own self pity.

Mikey grabbed my arm in what I think was an attempt to comfort me.

“Ouch!” I screamed, pulling my arm back.

“What’s-” Mikey stopped mid-question. By the look on the face I could tell he noticed the bruises that covered my arm. “Who did this to you? Is this what you’re running away from?” I could see the sincerity, the worry, the compassion in his eyes.

“M-my m-my d-d-dad d-d-d-did t-t-this, h-he n-never l-l-loved m-m-me,” by this point I was sobbing. Which is hard to believe, I never cry in public. Never. It’s just not me.

“It’s okay, it’ll all be okay, come here,” he said as he pulled me in close, watching out for my arms this time.

I could feel his hand on my back. It was warm. Like a hot shower that washes away all the dirt on your body it was washing away my hideous past.

I felt something vibrate against my leg. I’m sure it’s Mikey’s phone, but he just let it go, he let it keep ringing and kept his arms wound tight around my body. A few minutes passed and the vibrating began again.

“I’m sorry, I really have to answer this, it’s my brother,” he said softly. He let one hand go from around my waist and picked up the phone. The volume was quite loud, and I could hear the person on the other line loud and clear.

“Mikey! Why the hell didn’t you answer your phone?! You’re twenty minutes late. Where the fuck are you ?!” The voice said.

“I got into a wreck. I’ll be there shortly.”

“You got into a what?! And you couldn’t call me and let me know?!”

“I’m sorry, I just, girl, sad, wreck, bad.”

“Michael James Way this is not over. We’ll talk about this when you get here.”

“No, Gerard, I’m bringing the girl.”

“Seriously, Mikey? You hit her and now you bring her to lunch?!”

“I’ll explain later, I have to go.” He hung up the phone and shoved it back in his pocket.

“Sorry about that, that’s my over protective brother for you,” he smiled as he replaced his arm around my waist.

“How about we get your stuff in my car and meet my brother for lunch? It’ll take your mind off things.” He was tickling me, and I wriggled out from his grasp.

“Only if you promise not to do that again,” I smiled.

“You mean this?” He asked as he took me in his arms. “Or this?” The tickling began again,

“That! That! That, you asshole!”

“Don’t call me names!” He smiled.

“You asked for it,” I smirked at him.

“If we leave, what about my car?” I asked. The towing or insurance company still hadn’t shown up, and I wasn’t about to leave my only mode of transportation here.

“The insurance and towing people will be here soon, I took care of it.”

“In that case, let’s get moving!” I smiled. “Race you to the trunk? I’m going to win!”

“No, you’re not, girls never win!”

“You better watch it Mr. Mikey!” And with that, I sprinted to my trunk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whatcha think so far??