Status: Ten Stars; as of March 18th. Thanks so much!

The Photo Effect.

The Jealous Twin.

Civics was a blur. A big, gigantic fuzzy blur. For someone who looks like they know nothing, Mr. Baker sure does know a thing or two about history. Then again, it is what he went to school for I suppose, eh? I begin to tap my pencil against my cheek as I stare. I like the way Mr. Baker is writing with his left hand, and the way his arm constricts when he’s writing. Every muscle seems to be moving, and he’s too busy explaining current events of the U.S to realize his own arm is making my body ache. It’s weird, my secret fetish for forearms and he just so happens to have pleasantly nice looking ones.

Also, he might be one of the few to pull off a bow tie. I really like the shirt, too. It oozes cool teacher, yet holds a bit of professionalism. It’s a red sweater shirt. Who says only guys can like red on girls? Whoa, whoa. I fall out of my haze when I am called on. “Huh?” I mumble unintentionally.

He laughs, a little too pleased at himself for my liking but what can you do? “I asked you to name a problem that rises controversy in the United States?”

Why must he be my new teacher? This is only my second class and I am already acting like one of those damn preps in front. All I want to do is stare. Why can’t let me, huh? No denying he thinks he’s a hot mess, so why must he bother us from day dreaming?

“Racism?” I ask more than state, in case I am wrong. Please don’t let me be wrong. Please let me seem smart.

He smirks, which makes my stomach twinge. But I sort of like it, if that makes sense. The reaction he gets out of me is not something I am used too. In fact, I don’t know of anyone except Julie who can do it so fairly. Bravo Mr. Baker. You seem to have found my weakness factor—smiles—sexy smiles.

“Very good, that is actually one of the biggest ones.” He claps his hands together before starting another rant on my answer.

I am able to breathe once again and this time for a lot longer because class is over. Time seems so short in this class. Or is it just because of my teacher? Nah, Mr. Baker is just a hot teacher. Every school has to have one of those, or should I say that every school does have in the very least one of those and I just now discovered ours.

Emily and Kael were going to watch a movie this Friday night. Julianne wouldn’t be home because she would be working and I only worked Saturday and Sunday—my choice, so as I walked to my car after photography club, I thought to myself. What can I do to occupy my lifeless Friday night? I pushed the unlock button on my key ring, and set my things in my back seat before getting into the front. Absentmindedly looking around, I spotted Mr. Baker piling into a nice black SUV. Knowing him, he was probably going home to change and get ready for a full blown night. He seemed the type. I laughed to myself, since when did students care, let alone think about what teachers do during the weekends. Grade papers, yes. Praise ye lord for no obnoxious students to yell at, probably. Have a life, no way in hell.

Since majority of my life was spent taking pictures, what would make me stop now? I pulled up at the nearby board walk, a little ways from home and decided to take some pictures of the water. It was my second favorite thing to take pictures of. Julianne coming in first place only because every chance she got, she’d either ask for me to take her picture or step in front of the camera. Though, I didn’t blame the little photogenic bitch. Even if she wasn’t posing and had the silliest face on, she still managed to look amazing.

Dinner was unusual. Without Julie here to fill us in on life, something felt different. However, she was only able to work until ten thirty because of her age. In less than a month though, she could work until her little black heart’s content. I, on the other hand would hope to get more hours, too. Possibly after school so I can save some money for more camera equipment. Seeing as how that was what my money was spent on. That and an excessive amount of clothes. Oh, but don’t be fooled. I’m not as stocked as Jules. I’m pretty surprised her closet hasn’t thrown up from what’s been shoved inside of it.

That night, my parents went to bed pretty early. My dad had to go into work around four in the morning, so he went to bed around nine. It wasn’t uncommon for them to hit the hay early nowadays, though. They both worked steady jobs, and it paid off with the money they got in the long run. Now, it was ten. Mom should be going to bed any moment now. And Jules home soon, too.

“Riles, will you be up for Julie?” She asked sweetly, suppressing a yawn to speak.

“Sure thing Madre,” I winked and watched her leave, night gown like a cape as she briskly walked off to her bedroom.

It was now midnight. Julie wouldn’t stay out this late without calling or telling our parents. That I knew for damn sure. So where she was, I hadn’t the foggiest. I began to rub my eyes because as much as I was enthralled to stay awake for my sister, I did have to wake up early today, too. I had to be at work by nine and I am the person who needs her beauty sleep.

From my window, I could see headlights. She was now just getting home? And before she even stepped foot into the house, I knew that I was going to have to cover for her. Then again, what kind of sister would I be if I didn’t. I could hear her tip toe upstairs, so I opened my door just as she approached.

“Shit Riley,” she hissed in a whisper. “You scared me.”

“Mhmm,” I mumbled. “I’m sure.”

She rolled her eyes, before setting off to her room. Not too long afterwards, I heard my door knob followed by my door closing quietly. I knew it was Julianne, so I got up to flick my lamp on. I wanted to hear about her first day at work—not to mention where she was working. Knowing her, it was some clothing store. I giggled silently.

“Well,” I spat jokingly. “You’re home late, so don’t think you’re getting off the hook so easily.”

She gaped. “You wouldn’t tell?”

I shrugged, “not if you tell me how work went, silly.”

Frankly, I’ve never seen my sister smile with the word ‘work’ in a sentence. So she drabbled. She said she was working at a new restaurant that just opened, and that was why she smelt like food, because I had asked why she smelt like grease or something. I was shocked. My sister was waiting on people. Not what I would have expected, but if it gets her to grin like that again, I won’t argue.

“I work again tomorrow, at six. I’m so excited.”

“So, what’s this place called? I might have to check it out,” I laughed at her serene facial expressions.

Silence, followed by a nervous stammer. Not always a good sign. “It’s some burger joint, I don’t even know. I’m just happy to be working, Riley.”

She grabbed my hands, and squealed. I was happy for her. Finally she wouldn’t harass me for complaining about being tired because of my job. I had to remind her that our parents were sleeping, so she had to be quiet as we spent the next hour talking about her job, her co-workers and bosses. She spoke highly of all of them, and even though we were both laying on our backs, staring at my bedroom ceiling I could tell she was just smiling away. As was I. It’s the twin thing, I’m telling you.

“You’re not going to be late again, are you? Cause if Mom and Dad catch you—“

If Riles, if. I’ll try not to be late, but the more I am there the more I love it, ya know?” She said, turning to face me before planting a kiss to my cheek and then getting up to leave.

“Yeah, sadly I do.”

I loved opening up the book store. It was just a little tiny one close to the board walk, that was half owned by a family friend so I was lucky enough to get my own key. Everything about the place was just wonderful. The smell of old books, the earth tones to the place and the old fashioned sign right outside the door that read ‘Book Zone.’ It was like walking into an old fairytale every time I got to work, and I’ve been working here since I was sixteen, never got old, ever.

By the time I had opened, Delilah, came inside to place my till into one of the registers. Saturday’s and Sunday mornings were our busiest times, so I greeted Quinn when he came and stood next to me. He was a cool guy, and I liked working with him but he went to my rival school—Riverside. So technically, it was natural to banter over nonsense throughout the day. Occasionally we’d throw out insults to one another throughout the day, driving Delilah crazy. She loves us nonetheless.

“Hey punk,” I shoved into him.

“Ew,” he jested. “It’s official, I’m going to die young from disease.”

Rounding the corner was D, who wore her hands on her hips. “None of this today. My boss is coming in, so please try to act civil.”

Surprisingly, on this unexpected slow Saturday, Quinn and I got a lot of work done—wordlessly. I ended up stocking returns or new books while Quinn mastered the register and tapped his fingernails against the glass on the counter tops. It was soothing to hear the familiar noise all day long and when I didn’t hear it, it was as if something was wrong. So, I peered from behind a bookshelf to see Quinn flirting with some cute brunette, checking out Romeo and Juliet. More than likely for school usage, but I liked reading it.

By five, I was out the door. Quinn stayed until six thirty and Delilah until closing which was at nine on weekends and eight on weekdays. I lugged my bag around my shoulders and walked over to my car. My sister would be heading off to work soon, and I thought it rather odd that I wanted to be there to wish her a great second day. But by the time I got home around five thirty, her car was gone. So I sent a quick text.

I took a long hot shower, and slipped into some grey sweats and a casual tee. I let my hair air dry as I grabbed my school things and skipped down the stairs to start my homework so I could wait for dinner. I didn’t have too much being as it was only the first month of school and all, but I had enough to engross myself in for the next two hours. Spanish was always my first because I could wiz through it. I knew how Mr. Johnson planned our homework by now. English, we were reading A Mid Summer Nights Dream by Shakespeare and answering some questions. Since I’d already read it, that was a piece of cake, too. Calculus was a killer though. I hated remembering cosine and sine, and tangent bullshit. Last but not least was Civics. The worksheet wasn’t what I thought it was. I laughed at my stupidity. It was a series of questions about myself. Probably so Mr. Baker could know more about us.

There were questions ranging from ‘what’s your favorite color?’ to ‘what do you hope to gain while being in Civics?’ I knew I didn’t have to write a novel for each answer, but seeing as how there were plenty of lines to fill in case a student such as myself wanted too, we were permitted to. Plus, I knew Mr. Baker wouldn’t expect me to answer so meticulously. This was me being evil.

“Goodnight sweetie,” My mother kissed the middle of my forehead before her and my father headed up to bed at… ten. “Keep an eye out for your sister.”

I shook my head. There was no way I was waiting until midnight, again! So, I shut my book and pilled all of my school stuff into a lump before stalking back up the stairs and setting the stuff on my already unorganized desk. For some unknown reason, I became upset at my sister. Granted, it was just last night that she was late. All I know, she could be on time tonight.

However, when I woke up around two I duly noted that that wasn’t a respectable time to be coming home at the age of seventeen. I grumbled loudly, and shoved my head underneath my pillows so when she came into my room, she would think that I was sleeping. I know it’s cruel, but I really didn’t want to listen to her tonight. In fact, I wanted to know what was causing her to stay so late but also made a mental note that she’d never tell me. At that moment, I wanted to cry but sleep came in the nick of time.

Next Friday came too soon. I had noticed Julianne was hanging outside of my Civics class just before I was supposed to start. I rose a suspicious eyebrow before walking over, and stopping right in front of the comfortable talking pair. Julie gave me a ‘what’ look as she waited impatiently for me to talk. Mr. Baker on the other hand smiled. Damn him.

“What are you doing talking to my Civics teacher?” I asked bluntly; her turn.

She snapped her head to look at Mr. Baker before answering. “I was thinking about switching into his class next semester, so I wanted to meet him first. Sheesh Riles.”

“Sure,” I said icily, hidden jealousy within my tone. “What’s wrong with Mrs. Ames? Hmm?”

“She bores me. Damn Riley, what’s up your ass today?” She spat, not caring if my teacher was standing right behind us, looking disturbingly amused.

I laughed irritated. “Nothing Julianne. Oh yeah, try not to be home late tonight. Cause I just might slip.”

Proceeding into class, hearing the bell ring, I felt a presence behind me. Mr. Baker didn’t look too happy. “Are you okay?” He asked, but not in a nice way. Like I was completely mental.

No, I’m not. I’m jealous that you’ll like my sister better than me, but why should I care because I’m just your student. “Yeah, sorry.”

The seriousness faded. He smiled down at me, even if he wasn’t that much taller than I. When he winked, he started to walk down only to whisper in my ear, “don’t be. I liked it. Oh and uh, nice outfit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter will be better.
Can you guess what Julianne is doing? ;)