Status: Taking a break to get things together again

It's a Good Year for a ***

Chapter 31

I run my hand through my short hair and shake my head in annoyance.
“He’s gonna ruin that girl.” Johnny says lowly, more to himself than to us, but we hear him nonetheless. He has his head in his hands while he stares at the floor.
“You know he’s a stubborn fool.” Brian shakes his head
“Shadows, I like this girl. She’s family. We’re all family. But I have a bad feeling.” Jimmy speaks, staring intently at me.
I shake my head with acknowledgement. They all had a point.
“Don’t say anything to him; I plan to have a sit down with him when she’s up and feeling better.”
“Don’t wait too long, you know how he can be.” Johnny warns.
“Well. After all the exciting running around and not getting the satisfaction of killing anyone, my ass need to get laid. I’m off to the bar, any joiners?” Jimmy proclaims as he jumps to his feet.
“I’m up for getting some sweet ass.” Brian concurs.
“I need another drink.” Johnny says lowly as he follows them out the front door.
“You coming Shads?” Brian calls from the hallway.
“No. I have business to attend too.” I yell.

I wait until I can’t hear their voices as they loudly walk to the bar before I get up and drag my tired feet up the stairs and into my office. It is early, only 7:30. I grab a beer out of the mini fridge and crash into my comfortable office chair. Sitting for a moment, I pick up the picture next to my lamp and hold it in my hand for a while. Her smile is bright and even in this picture I can see the sparkle in her eyes. I had taken the photo two years ago at her birthday party. She had turned 18 and I bought her a car. The black SUV now sits in the garage, tucked in the corner behind the other cars. Her death had been quick, but my heart still aches for my young sister. Zacky’s first lover had taken her from me. I don’t blame him though, it wasn’t his fault he needed to be constantly told he was loved and worth something. Ultimately, I blame his father. If Zacky’s dad hadn’t killed his mother in front of him then maybe Vengeance would be ok.

Placing the picture back onto the desk I open my laptop and check my email. Nothing too important so I close it and turn on some music. Sipping my beer I lean back in the chair and just listen.

“Some days you’ll find me in a place I like to go
Ask questions to myself bout things I’ll never know
What’s left here to find cause I need a little more time,
can we even up the score?

And some say this can’t be real
And I’ve lost my power to feel tonight
We’re all just victims of a crime”

I sing along to the music coming through the speakers. It’s one of our songs, written for my sister.

Looking at the clock, I turn the music down and pull out my phone, dialing the all to familiar number.
“Huntington Beach Hospital, how can I help you?” a woman’s voice asks
“I’m just checking on a patient.”
“What’s the name?”
“Katherine Hawkins”
“Just one moment.” She says and then I hear the buzz as she puts me on hold for a few minutes.
“Sir?”
“I’m here.” I say gruffly.
“I’ve got some good news for you.” She says and I can tell she is smiling from how she says it.
“Did she wake up?” I ask as my heart speeds up
“I’m afraid not, but she has an increased brain activity. She moved her hand today. The doctors think she may pull through after all.”
Everything seems to slow down as she says this. I stare at my sister’s picture for a long minute.
“Are you still there?”
“Thank you for that information.” I say and then hang up.