‹ Prequel: My 'Cool' Grandpa

My Un-'Cool' Half-Brother

Rosie and Adrienne

*Two Days Later*

*Rosie's POV*

I pulled out of the driveway and began driving towards the doctor's office. I knew what I would be told, I knew what I would have to do, but I didn't know what Jack would say.

I pulled into a parking space and took a deep breath.

Here we go...

*Adrienne's POV*

I walked cautiously towards my dresser drawer. I pulled it open. The letter was still lying there, unopened.

I reached forwards with trembling fingers and picked it up. I turned it over and over, delaying opening for as long as possible.

Billie would be back soon, and I would have to tell him.

Not necessarily, the letter might not say what you think it says...

I sighed. The only way I would know would be to open it.

I tore open the envelope and pulled out the letter inside. I could barely bear to look at it, but I read it. I read it once, then twice. A tear rolled down my cheek.

Well, it wasn't what I thought it was.

*Jack's POV*

I carried two cups of water over to Jimmy and Frankie, who were dressing up in clothes that Grandma had made for them.

Frankie, naturally, had chosen a sparkly pink skirt, with feathers on, the waistband and a tiara with feathers adorning it. She had a sequined red top on and very high heels.

Jimmy, however, was wearing a pair of jeans, a white shirt and denim waistcoat. He was wearing a red bandana and had twisted his short-ish hair into what I think were meant to be plaits. I spied what I thought was painted blue-tac in his hair.

"Who are you guys then?" I asked, smiling.

"I'm Ganpa Tey!" Frankie yelled.

"Really? Are you?" Frankie nodded frantically. "Well hello, Grandpa Tre!" I laughed. "Well, young man, who are you?"

"I'm da piwate! Dack 'parrow!" Jimmy declared. "Where's da wum!"

I laughed at his silly attempts to sound like the continuously drunk pirate. Yesterday, Billie Joe had shown Jimmy the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy and he had loved it. In fact, Grandma Adie had begun making him a hat.

"Where's da wum!" Jimmy shrieked.

I passed them their cups of water and sat down on the floor with them.

"Where's Mommy?" Frankie asked. "I wan' show her Ganpa Tey!"

"Mommy had to go out for a while," I frowned. I couldn't remember where she told me she'd gone.

"Dis isn't wum!"

Jimmy ran into the kitchen and desperately tried to open the refrigerator.

"Yo, Cap'n Jack!" I turned. Grandpa was standing behind me.

"How the hell did you get in?" I gasped.

"Rosie gave me a key," he frowned. "Adie sent me over with a hat for young Captain Jack over there."

Jimmy yelped with joy and ran forwards. "Dank 'oo, Ganpa Biwwie!" He put on the hat. "Do 'oo ha' da wum?"

"No, I don't have any rum, I'm sorry," Grandpa crouched down next to Jimmy and lifted him onto his shoulders. "Let's go find Frankie."

I stood in the kitchen and watched Grandpa disappear.

"Oh My God!" I ran into the living room.

Jimmy and Frankie were chuckling hysterically and Grandpa looked terrified.

"Holy shit! She's too much like Tre for her own good!"

*Rosie's POV*

I walked towards the hospital exit, a nervous smile on my face. I had known exactly what was wrong.

I frowned.

"Adrienne?"

A woman in front of me turned around. We both gasped.

"Oh my God, Adrienne! What are you doing here?"

Adrienne blinked nervously and gulped. "Um, what are you doing here?"

"How about we go for a coffee and I'll tell you why I'm here, then you can tell me why you're here, OK?"

Adrienne smiled and nodded. We walked out and went to the nearest Starbucks. I got two coffees and brought them to the table. I took a deep breath and began to tell Adrienne why I had been at the hospital.