‹ Prequel: My 'Cool' Grandpa

My Un-'Cool' Half-Brother

Diagnosis

*Rosie's POV*

I sipped my coffee lazily and smiled across the table at Adie. She smiled weakly back.

"Are you sure you're OK?" I asked, frowning slightly.

"Yes, I'm fine. Now," she smiled. "Why were you at the hospital?"

I put down my mug and rested my chin on my hands. "OK, OK. I've been feeling funny for a while now, nausea, headaches and dizziness, and I went to the doctor's this morning. They referred me to the hospital and it turns out that I am pregnant again."

*Billie's POV*

I ran around the garden with Frankie on my shoulders. We were singing 'King for a Day'.

Well, I was singing 'King for a Day'. Frankie was singing "Tin for a Day! Pincess la la! Tin for a Day! La la la la la..a!".

I suddenly stopped and looked at my watch.

"Uh-oh." I put Frankie down on the ground and ran inside. I could hear her running after me.

"Tum back! Ganpa, tum back!"

"Sorry, sweetie, I've got to get home for Grandma Adie," I hugged my great-granddaughter, then my grandson and great-grandson and headed home.

I pulled into the drive. The house was dark and deserted. I frowned. Adie should be back by now. I got out, locked the car and walked up to the front door. It was locked.

I unlocked the door and went inside.

"Adie? Adrienne?" I went from room to room, looking for her. No sign. I went into the kitchen and began making a cup of coffee. I'd give her half an hour, then I'd start calling people.

*Rosie's POV*

I saw Adrienne's eyes widen.

"Oh, sweetie," she smiled, her eyes welling up with tears. "Oh! I'm so happy for you! I take it Jack has no idea?"

"None at all. I'm going to tell him later," I picked up my coffee and took another sip. "I'm a bit worried, what with Jimmy and Frankie still being so young, three toddlers, it's going to be... well," I smiled. "It's certainly not going to be dull."

"Oh, the twins will love having a little brother or sister," Adrienne smiled warmly. "Unless... "

"No, I had them check. It's not twins again."

"Do you want to know what it is?"

"No, I think we'll wait until he or she is born, like we did with Jimmy and Frankie."

There was a pause as we drank our coffee and contemplated the news.

"So," I looked at Adrienne. "I told you mine, now you tell me yours."

Adrienne put down her coffee mug and stared out of the window. I thought I saw tears in her eyes.

"Adrienne? Are you alright?" I placed my hand on her arm and she jumped. "Sorry, I was just.."

"I was at the hospital today, because I went to the doctor's about a month ago," Adrienne was talking, but still looking out of the window. She was definitely crying now. "A week after my doctors appointment, I got a letter. I was too scared to open it, until earlier today. I opened it and it told me to go to the hospital for further tests to confirm what was wrong. So, I went and they did the tests... ."

Tears were streaming down her face and her voice was steadily lowering to a whisper. I leant forwards and passed her a napkin. She had broken off.

*Adrienne's POV*

I looked at the sun, setting behind the clouds. How many more sunsets would I live to see? I turned towards Rosie, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Rosie, I've got cancer."