‹ Prequel: My 'Cool' Grandpa

My Un-'Cool' Half-Brother

Revelations

*Adrienne's POV*
Rosie stared at me blankly.

"W... What?"

"I've got breast cancer. According to the doctor, they think it's advanced and they'll do everything they can, but at the moment they can't promise anything. Like I said, they think it's advanced, but, surprise, surprise, they need to do more tests to find out how bad it is."

"Oh, Adie."

Rosie stood up and got up. She came over and hugged me and we cried together.

After a couple of minutes, we realised people were beginning to look at us, so we composed ourselves and Rosie sat down again.

"Um, does Billie know?" Rosie blew her nose and sipped her coffee again.

"No. I haven't told him. I'm scared."

"Billie will be upset, but he'll support you and do everything he can to make sure you get the best treatment possible. He'll only get angry if you keep it from him," Rosie pointed out.

I sighed. "I know you're right, I just, I can't do this to him."

"Adrienne, not meaning to be disrespectful, but it's going to be harder for you than it is for Billie. Sure, it will be hard for Billie, but you're the one going through it."

I smiled. "Why do you know more than me, young lady? What happened to the cute little five year old that I baked cookies for?"

Rosie smiled and hugged me again. "The most important things right now are that number 1; you tell Billie and number two; you remember that we are all here for you."

*Billie Joe's POV*
I paced around the living room. I couldn't stop worrying about Adie. She was normally home by now.

I heard a key in the lock and Adie walked in. I ran up to her and hugged her tightly.

"I was so worried about you! Where have you been?"

"Out. I met Rosie for a coffee and we talked for a while. I'm sorry I'm late."

*Jack's POV*
I walked downstairs after putting Frankie and Jimmy to sleep. They were still all dressed up; they refused to put their pyjamas on, so I gave in.

I sighed and looked at my watch.

Hmm, shouldn't Rosie be back by now?

Just as I was thinking that, the door opened and in walked Rosie. Her eyes were red and she looked distraught.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing. Um, I went to the hospital today, you know, because I was feeling funny."

"Oh, what did they say?"

"Jack, I'm pregnant."

*Adrienne's POV*
Billie and I sat in the living room, chatting idly. I was putting off telling him, putting off admitting to anyone else that it was really going on.

"Adie, next year, on our anniversary, d'you want to renew our vows? I tried to make sure we could do it this year, but I couldn't get anyone at short notice."

I felt tears well up in my eyes but blinked them back. I bit my lip and took a deep breath.

"Billie, I can't wait that long."

Billie froze for a second, then turned to look at me, an awkward smile on his face.

"W... What? You won't wait a year to marry me again?"

"Billie, I can't wait that long... .I don't have a year."

Billie shifted closer to me and held my hands in his.

"Um.. I... W.. What?"

"I don't have a year, Billie Joe." A tear escaped from my eyes and rolled down my cheek.

We hugged each other and cried. I kissed Billie Joe, and he kissed me. We savoured each moment with each other as we don't know how long we have left together.

The End