‹ Prequel: My 'Cool' Grandpa

My Un-'Cool' Half-Brother

Frankie

*Emma's POV*
I was just standing there, waiting for Dad to tell me something, anything about Mom.

Jimmy started wailing because he couldn't get any food. Rosie picked him up and Dad took me outside. We sat on the porch swing in silence for a few minutes.

"Emma," he began. "Your mom woke up this morning. She was unconscious for 4 days. They've run some tests and they say she has broken both her legs. She broke her left leg in two places and she has a broken shoulder. Her left wrist is broken as well. They had told me she'd broken her spine... "

I gasped. My eyes filled with tears and my Dad hugged me.

"... they had told me she'd broken her spine, but that was a 'crease on the X-ray'. So, she'll be in a wheel chair for a while, not forvever, just until her legs have healed. They would give her crutches, but as she's broken both legs, they have to give her a wheel chair."

I sighed. I was so relieved Mom was going to be OK. "When can she come home? When can I see her?"

"She can come home in two weeks and we can go see her later today."

I smiled and hugged my Dad. We got into the car and drove off. My dream had obviously been wrong. No one was going to die.

When we got there I ran into Mom's room. She was lying down, awake and smiling. I hugged her, relieved that she was alive.

*Frankie's POV*
I woke up. No one was here. Jimmy's cot was empty. I was all alone. I grabbed the bars of my cot and pulled myself up. Mr Willy was lying on the floor.

My lip trembled and my eyes filled with tears. How can Mr Willy get back from that terrible place?

Just as I was about to start crying, I heard noises from the window. I wiped my eyes and walked towards the end of the cot. A person was climbing in through the window.

"'Da door is dere," I said, pointing to the door. The person pulled themselves in the room. I didn't see their face, they were wearing a mask.

"'Was' 'oo name?" I said. He fell over. After a while, he picked himself back up.

"I'm the fucking Tooth Fairy," he groaned, rubbing his back. I lifted my arms towards him. He put a finger to his lips.

"Shh!" he whispered. "We're playing a game with Jimmy, Mommy and Daddy."

"Raay! I wike dames!" I whispered, jumping up and down.

"Really? Well, you've got to be very quiet, and... " he put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a bottle.

"Was' dat?"

"Something very special. Smell it." He held it out towards me. I leant forwards and sniffed. It smelt weird, and I suddenly felt sleepy. Everything went black.