‹ Prequel: My 'Cool' Grandpa

My Un-'Cool' Half-Brother

The Search

*Rosie's POV*
Emma and Jake had just left and Jimmy was wide awake, jumping up and down running around, singing, dancing, but then he just stopped he ran out as fast as he could and started to clamber up the stairs.

I followed him upstairs.

"Do you want one of your toys, sweetie?" I asked as we walked into their room. He was standing by Frankie's cot. I stopped looking at him and turned to look at Frankie.

I froze. I looked around frantically, searching all around the room. Tears were poruing down my face and I screamed out.

Jack came running in. He saw Jimmy on the floor, clutching Mr Whirly, me sitting on the floor shaking and crying and then he saw Frankie's empty cot. He ran over and hugged me tight. We cried with each other, rocking back and forth. Jimmy came over and we hugged him.

Jack got up and went downstairs. I wiped my eyes and picked up Jimmy.

"Where be Fwankie, Mommy? I wan' Fwankie!" he started crying and I hugged him, he was still holding Mr Whirly.

"Fwankie no go wid out Mr Willy," he said. I knew he was right. Frankie never went anywhere without Mr Whirly.

"Don't worry Jimmy. We'll find Frankie, I promise." I dried his eyes. He kissed me on the cheek.

We went downstairs and found Jack on the phone.

"Grandma, Grandpa, can you come over please? We need some help. I'll explain when you get here, it's just really important that you come. Just bring anyone you can, Mike, Ramona, Dad, Mom, everyone. We need all the help we can get."

He hung up and turned to face me. "I've called the cops. Everyone's coming over and we're going to go out and look for Frankie."

"I help!" yelled Jimmy.

"Of course you can help, sweetie."

Jack came over and hugged us both. The door opened and in came Adie and Billie. Adie saw our faces and rushed over. Billie shut the door and came over.

"We rang everyone and they're on their way," Billie said. "Guys, what's going on?"

"Frankie's gone."

Adie and Billie gasped.

"What do you mean, gone?"

"I mean gone!" I yelled. "She's not here! Her room is empty for God's sake! I've looked fucking everywhere and we can't find her! She's so small, she could be anywhere, how the fuck did she get out of the house in the first place, who the Hell would take her?"

Adie, Jack and Billie looked stunned. Jimmy hugged me and kissed my cheek again.

"Don' be sad, I find Fwankie, I pwomise."

The door opened and Mike came in, with Estelles, her husband and kids.

"Oh my God," said Mike. "Has Frankie really gone?"

"How did you know?" asked Jack.

"We heard Rosie."

I sat on the stairs, holding Jimmy, both of us crying. I rocked him back and forth. Adie came and sat by us. She put her arm round me.

"Sweetie, I promise, we'll all go out and find her. We just need to wait for Ramona, Lucy, Steve, Joey and Sarah, They'll be here any minute." She turned to Jack. "Have you called the cops?"

"Yeah." The doorbell rang. Jack went and opened it. Three cops walked in.

"I hear your daughter's gone missing?" one of them asked.

"Yeah. Do you want to see a picture?"

"Yes. I need to know everything you can tell me." Jack took two cops upstairs to find pictures and the other officer, a woman, came over and sat on the stairs.

"Miss, would you come with me? I need to talk to you." Adie and I got up and went into the living room, followed by the cop.

I sat on the couch, as did Adie. The cop sat opposite us.

"I'm Laura, I'll be helping with this investigation. I need you to tell me exactly what happened."

"Um, about fifteen minutes ago, I went upstairs with Jimmy and Frankie wasn't there."

"Dis was!" said Jimmy, holding up Mr Whirly.

"What's that?" asked Laura.

"Is Fwankie's."

"It's Frankie's favourite toy. She never goes out without it."

"OK. Was Frankie asleep, or awake?"

"I don't know."

"She was asweep when Emma tame to see me."

"Emma?" Laura frowned. "You have another daughter?"

"No, she's my husband's cousin. We've been looking after her whilst her mother is in hospital. Her father came about half an hour ago, to take her to see her Mom. She came downstairs with Jimmy this morning, just after her father got here."

"Alright. I might need to question her. Do you know when she'll be back?"

Oddly enough, at that moment, Emma and Jake walked into the living room.

"Hey, Rosie, what's going on?" Emma asked, frowning.

"Frankie's gone missing. We've looked everywhere."

"Emma," Laura began. "I need to ask you a few questions. When did you last see Emma?"

"About an hour ago. Jimmy was crying, so I went to see him. I stopped him from crying and took him downstairs. Frankie was in her cot asleep."

"OK." Laura stood up, as did Adie and I. "I need to speak with my colleagues."

We all walked out. Everyone was here now. It turned out, the other two cops had already gone back to the station, so they could circulate photos of Frankie.

Mike stood up on the hall table. "OK, everyone, listen up. I need three or four people to stay here, in case the police come back with Emma, or in case anybody calls."

I began to feel nauseaous. I ran out of the room and vomited down the toilet. I flushed and sat down on the edge of the bathtub. Who would take my little girl?