‹ Prequel: See You Smile
Sequel: Of the Rain

Tomorrow I'll Miss You

smells like rain

“Bright and sunny on the one day that I wish it would rain,” she whispered, looking out the window.

He glanced at her from the driver’s seat. He sighed and turned back to the road.

She looked over at him, tracing his profile as though it could be etched in her memory.

He seemed not to notice, seeing as she did this so often it wasn’t strange.

She turned to watch the road after a few moments. Once she was sure the road was safe, she reached out and took his free hand in hers, squeezing gently.

He squeezed back, not taking his eyes off the road.

She watched his profile once again, expressionless. “You’re leaving tomorrow,” she stated, not questioning though she had done that several times during the week.

He didn’t answer for a few moments. “Yes.”

The two sat silently, moving down the route they had chosen.

After about five minutes, she released his hand and paid more attention to the road. “I think I recognize this,” she whispered.

He smiled softly, knowing the road better than she.

“Yeah, I know this road! That’s where you turned around and scared the crap out of me in the process,” she exclaimed, pointing out of the window.

He smiled before frowning. “Wait. I scared you?”

She turned to look at him. “The whole ‘holy shit!’ and heartbeat quickening didn’t tell you?” she asked sarcastically.

He shook his head with a chuckle. “Only kidding.” He turned the car into a gravel parking lot. “Here we are.”

She looked around with a grin that slid into a sad face.

He started to get out of the car, not noticing.

She sighed. “You know, I really can’t believe you’re leaving,” she whispered.

He turned back to her and saw her expression. He opened his door and got out of the car.

The driver’s side door snapped shut as the sounds of shuffling gravel started.

Suddenly, her door opened and her seatbelt was unbuckled.

“Hey, you,” he whispered, kneeing down next to her.

“Hey, you,” she replied quietly.

“Guess what?” he asked.

“What?” she inquired.

He gently took her shoulders and turned her towards him. “I love you,” he stated.

She smiled softly. “And I love you.”

He smiled back. “Hey, we can do this, okay? You and I both know we can,” he said, encouragingly.

“I know, I know. It’s just...,” she trailed off.

“What?” he said, trying to catch eye contact.

“I-I’m really gonna miss you tomorrow and this year at school and with the group,” she said, looking up to meet his gaze, her voice turning watery. “I mean, three hours doesn’t seem like a lot, but it is to me and you’re going to be there most of the time and it’s just going to be so hard to-“

She was cut off by his arms wrapping around her and her face landing in her shoulder. She placed her arms around him and felt him pull her closer.

“It’ll be okay,” he whispered. “We’ll make it work. Just trust me on it, okay?”

She pulled away and looked at his cinnamons through glassy blues. “Okay, I trust you.”

He smiled, wiping at her eyes. “Smells like rain, doesn’t it?” he said.

She giggled through her sniffles. “Maybe or maybe it’s just Tide,” she replied with another giggle.

“Smartass,” he chuckled, rolling his eyes.

“’Better than a dumbass’,” she said, quoting him.

“Oh, shush you.”

“Make me,” she replied with a grin.

“Gladly,” he said, leaning in as droplets of water began to fall on them.